Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #391
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I didn't

I had an old 64 kb one and I got a brand new 512 kb back.
Maybe they though it was doing the update in your case.
Could that mean my Cybook was already the newest version to date at that point.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #392
MeatProduct
MeatProduct began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 301
Hi,

I bought a PocketBook 301 (I'm pretty sure it's rebadged a Bookeen Cybook) in Ukraine this winter and brought it back to the States, and it broke in transit.

I was wondering about my repair options. Does Bookeen have repair centers in the United States, or do I have to ship it to Great Britain or France? I also heard that it has the same screen as the Sony PS-505. Would a Sony repair center here in the US be able to replace the screen on this thing? Can somebody please give me an idea of what my options are?

Thanks in advance,

Demid
MeatProduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #393
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Just a bit of thinking: If you buy a Nintendo Wii and broke it, do you go to Sony or Microsoft for repairing it because they share the same CPU type?

I don't think so, it is the same for Bookeen, Pocketbook and Sony, even if they all have the same type of screen, or for both of them have some similarity with the case design that they are the same things
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #394
MeatProduct

Not necessarily. A repair place I called in Moscow actually repairs all models of e-readers.

It would make more economic sense to have consolidated service centers that can repair all models of e-readers (and repairs are outsourced to such centers by each of the manufacturers), rather than a bunch of dedicated, brand-specific repair shops.

But I don't know how exactly this whole thing operates. Maybe things are different in the US than they are in Europe. This is why I'd like to find out.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:03 AM   #395
zed01
zed01 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not think they replace the screen at all. I have seen no reports of people getting a unit with replaces screens. Everybody seems to get a totally new unit instead.
Unfortunately I broke my screen two times.
at the very first they replaced the whole reader - I received a brand new one with bigger memory and newer firmware.
the second (and hopefully last time) they had only replaced the broken screen.
zed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #396
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatProduct View Post
Hi,

I bought a PocketBook 301 (I'm pretty sure it's rebadged a Bookeen Cybook) in Ukraine this winter and brought it back to the States, and it broke in transit.

I was wondering about my repair options. Does Bookeen have repair centers in the United States, or do I have to ship it to Great Britain or France? I also heard that it has the same screen as the Sony PS-505. Would a Sony repair center here in the US be able to replace the screen on this thing? Can somebody please give me an idea of what my options are?
PocketBook does use the same hardware as Cybook (from Netronix), but the firmware is quite different. They operate separately from Bookeen and if you send it to Bookeen you'll get back a Cybook, not PocketBook. Best is probably send it to PocketBook repair center in Moscow or Kiev.
Their site gives this info:
Kiev: +380 (44) 501-06-48, e-mail: service@pocketbook.com.ua
Moscow: +7 (495) 220-31-94, e-mail: service-ru@pocketbook.com.ua
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #397
MeatProduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
PocketBook does use the same hardware as Cybook (from Netronix), but the firmware is quite different. They operate separately from Bookeen and if you send it to Bookeen you'll get back a Cybook, not PocketBook. Best is probably send it to PocketBook repair center in Moscow or Kiev.
Their site gives this info:
Kiev: +380 (44) 501-06-48, e-mail: service@pocketbook.com.ua
Moscow: +7 (495) 220-31-94, e-mail: service-ru@pocketbook.com.ua
Wow, thanks, Igorsk. Guess I'll have to do that, then.

Demid
Old 05-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #398
triwy
triwy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
hello Wearebog and everybody else. I have the same problem on my Cybook. I bought it on May the 2nd 2009. Last night I turned it on and the screen has the same problems of the screen of Wearebog.
Did you manage to have it repair under warranty? I will be happy to know so that I can have a reference case....
I have just sent an e mail to Cybbok support right now...
I am really dissaponted.....
Triwy
triwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #399
Spektakel
Spektakel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Hi Triwy, just out of curiosity: what did you do to the Cybook to break the screen? Was it in a (hard) case?
Spektakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #400
triwy

Hello

Hello, the Cybook was in a hard case but it did not fell down. Somebody moved my handbag and put the handbag on the floor but I cannot belive that that caused the problem. I did not do anything really. Do you think the hard case could have caused the problem?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #401
triwy

Hello Igorsk and Spetakel, I have seen the mail for cybbok in Russia and sent them an e mail, thanks for sharing the information. I think may a child in my house dropped the cybbok because I cannot belive that just by moving it the screen has been broken....do you think that the hard case caused more problems?
Triwy
Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #402
triwy

Does anybody know a Cybook repair centre in the UK?

Hello everybody,

My dear Cybook screen broke down after one month of using. I am very dissapponted and very sad because Cybook asked me 120 euros to repair it and honestly I think it is a rip off expecially after buying it new on the 2nd of May.
I am wondering if somebody can give me some suggestions to spend less?
Thanks a lot,
Triwy
Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #403
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
another one bites the dust...

After 1 1/2 years i let my cybook drop from 10cm into my well padded bagpack while it was wearing its brown "leather" coat. The next time I wanted to use it the screen was messed up and it doesn't respond anymore.

I think in future I will stay away from bookeen.
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #404
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborg View Post
another one bites the dust...

After 1 1/2 years i let my cybook drop from 10cm into my well padded bagpack while it was wearing its brown "leather" coat. The next time I wanted to use it the screen was messed up and it doesn't respond anymore.

I think in future I will stay away from bookeen.
Remember, that it's the eInk display which is the "problem" and this is the same in ALL eInk readers.

Plus, when it comes to display repair Bookeen has a very good reputation!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:17 AM   #405
leequick1
leequick1 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, rocketbook, rb1100, palms, nook, iPhone/iTouch, Jetbook lite
The eInk is great, uber-light, beautiful display. However as we all know here, it is very delicate, needs an external light and very expensive to repair. I am hoping that there is a new kind of reader in the future, one that is as light as an eInk, has the same battery life and a display that is both durable and (I hope) doesn't need an external light source.
I would be just satisfied if they could make it a bit more durable and a bit more reasonable on the repair side. Until then when I travel I will be using my palm to read my mobi and ereader books. Too bad Palm doesn't make a reader sized palm. That way we could read both ereader and mobi at will, and read it in the dark and have a beautiful colour display.
leequick1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cybook, screen