Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
marcl
Enthusiast
marcl began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story HD (FW 1.13), Kobo Glo (FW 2.8.1), Kindle PW2 (FW 5.40)
Kindle Paperwhite without Amazon account

Are there any other limitations when I abort the registration with a Amazon account during initial setup of the Kindle or choose to log off from Amazon account except the collections and of course all things to the Amazon Server related..?

Has anybody tested if the Kindle talks to Amazon server even when logged off from Amazon but with wifi activated?
marcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think the Kindle works fine without being registered, just no collections.

I know folks who register it, get their collections, and then turn off the WiFi and never turn it back on again.

I have no idea about the WiFi communication with Amazon
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think you have to register to get the Amazon Kindle dictionaries. However, you can use your own dictionaries.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
What is the point of using a Kindle without an Amazon account?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
What is the point of using a Kindle without an Amazon account?
You can read books on a Kindle from any bookstore as long as you can convert those books to a compatible Kindle format. Some people just prefer to sideload all their books and not have their Kindles registered.
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well pointless. Yes it still comunicates with the servers. Even with WiFi Off I still get regular updates on the Offers.

With all the Free ebooks & th temp free ebooks Amazon offers your sure missing out on a lot of good reading!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Even with WiFi Off I still get regular updates on the Offers.
Then your WiFi isn't turned off. If you're WiFi is off you should get a message asking you to turn it on to update the offers.

Note that when it downloads an update (with WiFI on) for the offers it does store many days worth of offers and will switch those accordingly without WiFi on.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
With all the Free ebooks & th temp free ebooks Amazon offers your sure missing out on a lot of good reading!
Not me. I'm perfectly capable of finding the stuff I want to read, without any help from Amazon's marketing. I'm sure that applies to most other folk in this forum as well.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have the ad free version, I don't want the ads. (shrugs)

I know that there are folks who want the functionality of the e-reader but don't like that it can some how track you. That is one of the reasons so many people did not want Sony to add WiFi to their device. They didn't need it, side loading and SD cards worked fine, and some didn't want the tracking possibilities.

Every person has the right to decide how much data they share. For some folks that means paying the toll all the time instead of having easy pass. For some folks that means no Facebook. For some people that means an e-reader without WiFi.

Big whoop.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have the ad free version, I don't want the ads. (shrugs)

I know that there are folks who want the functionality of the e-reader but don't like that it can some how track you. That is one of the reasons so many people did not want Sony to add WiFi to their device. They didn't need it, side loading and SD cards worked fine, and some didn't want the tracking possibilities.

Every person has the right to decide how much data they share. For some folks that means paying the toll all the time instead of having easy pass. For some folks that means no Facebook. For some people that means an e-reader without WiFi.

Big whoop.
I agree, it is a personal preference that is totally up to the device owner. I personally prefer to use the WiFi/registration for Whispersync, Collections, etc. Some don't, and that is perfectly okay as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Well pointless. Yes it still comunicates with the servers. Even with WiFi Off I still get regular updates on the Offers.
That's not the way that mine worked. It would download a series of offers and scroll through them until they expired. Then I would get a splash screen that said that if I wanted to see more offers, I would need to sync with Amazon.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
That's plain impossible. When the Wifi is off, the device can't communicate to get new ads.

Others have already posted the explanation - it's that the Kindle pulls the SOs for several weeks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcl View Post
Are there any other limitations when I abort the registration with a Amazon account during initial setup of the Kindle or choose to log off from Amazon account except the collections and of course all things to the Amazon Server related..?
I think there are a few minor features which are disabled, like that you're unable to set device owner information, lock code, etc. But except for the collections, nothing tragic.

Quote:
Has anybody tested if the Kindle talks to Amazon server even when logged off from Amazon but with wifi activated?
It definitely talks to Amazon whenever you turn the Wifi on, to verify that it actually has internet connectivity. (You can use a WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE file to disable that). It may also be requesting the current time and stuff like that.

And I think that I've seen it do various attempts to phone home even when unregistered, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, if you're not interested in the Amazon store and the other online stuff, I think your best bet is to register it once, then keep it in Airplane mode. I'm personally keeping my devices offline essentially all the time.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I own 3 Kindle Devices, one Kindle App and have one more Kindle device on the way. Without registration at the Amazon site, syncing would be impossible.

Only if a person owns a single Kindle device would it make sense to deregister the unit and buy eBooks elsewhere.

For a time I used to compare eBook prices between Barnes & Noble, Sony and Amazon. Amazon had the lowest price for virtually EVERY eBook. Plus, Amazon offers thousands of eBooks free or at 99 cents or less.

I only read expensive theological, history and biography eBooks. The price differences on these types of eBooks are HUGE between various sites. Even with buying from Amazon, I keep a spreadsheet of all my wish list of purchase with prices and amounts of pages. I always buy the most pages for the buck. Even Amazon is still forced by some publishers to raise prices. If they raise them too much, I may never read those eBooks.

I tracked all those eBooks in a spreadsheet and eventually got rid of my Sony eReader and never purchased a Nook.

In fact there was a Federal lawsuit filed against 5 book publishers and Apple for collusion on maintaining HIGH eBook prices. Amazon was NOT one of the defendants.

Thus, it makes no sense to buy eBooks from anyone but Amazon but everyone has their own preferences. Most people I know do not buy eBooks. They still prefer the paper books at three times the price.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-17-2013 at 03:49 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Had dr appt so just getting back . My K3 is Always OFF until I have at least 25 ebooks to download at once. The Ads are Always changing. I neve been told to turn on WiFi for ads updates its been off the Months at a time! During the months I didnt have a computer & my maine computer was my Fire HD I Never had the WiFi on the K3 turned on I still recieved the ads.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Had dr appt so just getting back . My K3 is Always OFF until I have at least 25 ebooks to download at once. The Ads are Always changing. I neve been told to turn on WiFi for ads updates its been off the Months at a time! During the months I didnt have a computer & my maine computer was my Fire HD I Never had the WiFi on the K3 turned on I still recieved the ads.
The ads are pre-downloaded to your device when you have the wi-fi on. The only time Amazon can push ads to your device is when your device has an active wi-fi connection. There is no way for them to access your device when you have it in airplane mode (wif-fi off).
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote