Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Looking for large screen e-ink device (7 - ? inches)

I've had my eye on the Kindle DX for awhile now, but I was wondering if there were any other large screened eReaders out there that are around the same price (160 - 200). I'd also like it if the device was available in North America, or at least, available to be shipped there. My price limit is under 200 (US Dollars), and I'm willing to buy used.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think that a used Kindle DX is your only option in that price range. (There are relatively few e-readers with screens larger than 6")

If you are willing to spend 300+ dollars then you could consider the Onyx Boox 92 9.7" reader or the Pocketbook 8" color Lux reader with front lit screen. Other options include the ectaco Jetbook.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I've had my eye on the Kindle DX for awhile now, but I was wondering if there were any other large screened eReaders out there that are around the same price (160 - 200). I'd also like it if the device was available in North America, or at least, available to be shipped there. My price limit is under 200 (US Dollars), and I'm willing to buy used.
Google Kobo Aura or search on this forum.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
I think that a used Kindle DX is your only option in that price range. (There are relatively few e-readers with screens larger than 6")

If you are willing to spend 300+ dollars then you could consider the Onyx Boox 92 9.7" reader or the Pocketbook 8" color Lux reader with front lit screen. Other options include the ectaco Jetbook.
I figured for that price range I might not have much, if any, options, but I was hoping that I might be able to buy something used. I guess I'm being a bit unrealistic.

Quote:
Google Kobo Aura or search on this forum.
I have heard some mention of this ereader, but I don't know much about it. I'll have to give it a closer look.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Not eink,but you may get a Nook HD+ for about 200 bucks, today, Mother's Day.

I think that you will not find a larger than 7 inches screen for that price, honestly. And Kindle DXG is "dead", unsupported, so I would not recommend it unless you really don't care about warranty and on going support.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
See the News thread about the possible big new Sony reader.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I am also excited about the 13-inch Sony reader, but it won't be available for another year, and I am sure it will be expensive - as Sony needs to recoup years of R&D that went into developing that device.

There are three 10-inch models which have been available for some time, so you should be able to find them used, within your budget: the Kindle DX (which is back on sale by Amazon the way), the Onyx Boox M92 (alias Icarus Excel), and the Pocketbook 9-series (902, 903, 912).

Another option is to choose one of the new 8-inch devices: the Icarus 8 (E800BK), or the Trekstor Pyrus Maxi. You can check if these are within your budget - if not now then in a few months when used ones should appear. Here are some links for these models:
http://icarusreader.com/store/e-read...us8-8-e-reader
http://www.trekstor.co.uk/detail-ebo...oduct/292.html
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Another option is to choose one of the new 8-inch devices: the Icarus 8 (E800BK), or the Trekstor Pyrus Maxi. You can check if these are within your budget - if not now then in a few months when used ones should appear. Here are some links for these models:
http://icarusreader.com/store/e-read...us8-8-e-reader
http://www.trekstor.co.uk/detail-ebo...oduct/292.html
Note that the Icarus 8 and the Pyrus Maxi are the same device; the Icarus is a rebranded Pyrus.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Note that the Icarus 8 and the Pyrus Maxi are the same device; the Icarus is a rebranded Pyrus.
Indeed they are very similar, but if you look carefully at the specs, you will notice 2 important differences:
1. The Icarus has audio functionality, the Trekstor doesn't
2. The Icarus supports mobi, the Trekstore doesn't.
So I wouldn't say they are the same device, at least from the software side.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
charlescollin
charlescollin began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Kindle i have used and it nice in working and reliable....
charlescollin is offline   Reply With Quote