Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
edmond
Enthusiast
edmond began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox C65 AG
M92: where are stored file bookmarks and data?

Hi,

as I explained in another thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204084) I am having troubles due to some file data (current page, probably) which is wrongly stored somewhere.

So the questions are:
  1. where (and in which format) is it stored?
  2. how can I access (and modify) it?

Same questions about bookmarks: I would like to make a backup copy of them.

Thanks for your attention (and help...)
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmond View Post
Hi,

as I explained in another thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204084) I am having troubles due to some file data (current page, probably) which is wrongly stored somewhere.

So the questions are:
  1. where (and in which format) is it stored?
  2. how can I access (and modify) it?

Same questions about bookmarks: I would like to make a backup copy of them.

Thanks for your attention (and help...)
If you connect your Boox to a PC you can see in every folder with your documents, a folder named .onyx, which contains entire information about your reading progress, made bookmarks, annotations and sketches. If you want, you can backup it. If you want to reset those information - just delete the folder. It will be recreated automatically in current folder as soon as you open a document in it.

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-29-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Booxstor, it seems to me, that it is true only for sketches, annotations and maybe something more.

I made a test quite recently and it seemed to me that bookmarks (and possibly other data concerning document) are saved somewhere else. Not in *.sketch file in .Onyx folder. (Now, I realised that there is also one common file in .Onyx - the document data could be there ... But it does not solve the main Edmond's problem. The desire to rescue the bookmarks.)

The main problem Edmond has, is that (I think FBreader) wrote (probably) invalid value of current page to database, which is a bug. And none of 3 readers is able recover from this errorneous state, which is 4 bugs (1 - programmers should/could check if the value read from database is in range of document size, 3x1 - each reader should behave decently even if the page value is invalid).

He invested quite a lot of time to make bookmarks and he needs them recover. So, deleting approptiate file (not whole .Onyx folder - it might erase annotation data from other document files) in appropriate .Onyx folder. is not solution for him.

Despite the fact, where the current page possition data is stored, it would be highly desirable to fix at least reading from database bug (make easy check if page number is in range) and also the source of the inconvenience - make page range test in GoTo Page dialog code, so that it returns a valid number if user inserts no value.

It is not much work for programmer. Could be between 10 minutes to hour or two (if it is really difficult).

EDIT:
I rechecked if bookmarks and Last Page Read are stored in .Onyx\*.sketch or .Onyx\thumbs.db files. They do not seem to be, unless I made a mistake.

Try this:
1) Open document, go to any page except of the first one. Place there bookmark and leave the document.
2) Erase .Onyx\*.sketch and .Onyx\thumbs.db files.
3) Re-open the document. Document does not open on 1st page (but the bookmarked one) and there is the bookmark.

Both, the Last Page Read info and bookmark info and Bookmark info survived deletion of both files, so the info must be stored somewhere else... Probably somewhere on system partition. One probably looses bookmarks if moves the document file. And it is not possible for even quite high above average user to backup his/her valuable work

Last edited by Mono; 01-29-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
edmond
Enthusiast

Well, mono replied perfectly in my place!

@booxtor
In any case, I wish to clarify some points: on my M92 I have inserted an SD card. When I connect it to the pc, I see it exports two devices: the internal memory and the SD card. I mount them on two different dirs (my pc runs linux).
The internal memory is, in total, 3.46 GB.

When I perform "ls -la" in a directory with files that I opened on the reader, there is not a .boox directory: I can find only a .onyx directory, which contains only a .thumbs.db file.

In any case, I tried to delete it, as you suggested: no chance. When I go back to the reader it recreates a new one but the problem (i.e., I can't open my file) is still there.

I can add one more thing: the tree in my sd card is a copy of my tree on the pc. I inserted a different sd card and I copied the original tree on the new sd card.
Result: bookmarks of various files are still there, the corrupted file is still corrupted (even if this is the original file, which never went to the sd card).

Conclusion (at least, the only one I can deduce...): the reader stores bookmarks and other information somewhere in its internal memory which is not accessible "normally" when you mount on the pc the exported partitions. Moreover, they are saved under a label which is the exact /path/to/the/filename of the file opened.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Edmond,
the database file will, probably, be on system partition which is not accessible via USB.

If you want experiment, you may install OTFM file manager for Onyx. You'll find the link in this Onyx forum. OTFM has access to system partition. If you have SQLite datadase experience, you might be able to fix the (possibly) wrong value for LastPageRead.

The file will have probably .db extension, but one never knows... *.sketch files are also SQLite db files.

There are also utilities for console (via USB) and/or wifi access. Would be more convenient do the search using PC to using OTFM file manager. Even OTFM is able to "allow" access to system partition from PC. The feature is called Big Brother, but I do not understand how to use it...

Some/all of the tools I mentioned are referenced in Wiki.
SW for M92 Wiki
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
edmond
Enthusiast

Well, I am not keen to touch something inside the system if I am not sure about what I am doing...

Maybe this need is only mine, but I think that these data should be more easily available to the end user.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
@Mono: I see, you are right what concerns the bookmarks.. It was in our task list to move them to user accessible storage, so I was sure it has been already implemented.. I will add it to our current task list
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
edmond
Enthusiast

Booxtor, if this feature, together with multitasking, will be implemented in the next firmware, then I will look forward to it: for my needs, they would be a HUGE improvement!.

I am sure you will do it for the best, but if I may dare a suggestion, this is the way I would do it (for settings):

in the internal user space (the one which gets usually mounted on pcs), create a top level hidden dir named, say, .files_settings.
Inside this dir, on file for every regular file, with its settings: bookmarks, last page, fonts, zooming, reader and so on.

The name for the settings file of a file should be the name of the file itself plus some extension to avoid homonyms.

For example, if I have a file named "my-file.pdf", its settings file should be
my-file.pdf.463464
where 463464 are, for example, the last 6 digits of its md5sum: this should be enough to avoid homonyms.