Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Has anybody seen his "new feature request" implemented in the new OS for M92?

Hi all

I was wondering if anything was done in this sense at least for one of us. Can anybody confirm if his or her suggestion was considered and implemented in the new OS version?
If so please mention what piece of software was changed.
I am especially curious about the "old" PDF reader. I was about to suggest some changes but since noting has changed in this one so I don't think it is worth continuing to make suggestions.

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Yes, some of my suggestions were implemented. At least to some extent.

I remember only those 4, but maybe there were more.
1) Change the direction of doc movement by 4 way button if screen rotated 180 deg. (it was very fast implemented - several days)
2) Go to root dir, if home button is hold for longer time
3) If you touch tool icon, special tool menu is displayed (my sugestion was last 5-10 used - the Onyx implementation sort of helps, but it is only half way to my suggestion)
4) Allow displaying filenames instead of tags

On the other hand. My suggestions/bug reports concerning dictionary were not fulfilled.

There were other improvements in past 7 months. Mainly the export of notes to a text file and also joining it with pdf (I think).

So, something was done, I expected more. Some suggestions/bugs seem to me easy to implement/fix (but I may be wrong) and would increase the usability (value) of M92...

I do not understand what is the Onyx's key for selection of suggestions. If there is no feedback from them one does not know, if his effort in suggesting/bug reporting has any effect or if it is just waste of time.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

All these in the latest version right? I have not tried it. I somehow had the impression that new bugs have been introduced. Since I was quite happy with the functionality of the PDF reader and the scribble merging I decided to skip.
The only thing that still bothers me is the workflow, more exactly the many "clicks" you have to do in order to change tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
1) Change the direction of doc movement by 4 way button if screen rotated 180 deg. (it was very fast implemented - several days)
Does this work when in continous layout (Scroll pages)
Quote:
3) If you touch tool icon, special tool menu is displayed (my sugestion was last 5-10 used - the Onyx implementation sort of helps, but it is only half way to my suggestion)
Is the the icon next to the clock (bottom right corner) or the one at the bottom left? The last one usuall does that, :-) display the tools. I hope it is the first and then I will have to upgrade
Quote:

There were other improvements in past 7 months. Mainly the export of notes to a text file and also joining it with pdf (I think).
I should have been clearer. I was asking about the time after the PDF reader became decent by allowing annotation, merging scribles and exporting all these.

Quote:
So, something was done, I expected more. Some suggestions/bugs seem to me easy to implement/fix (but I may be wrong) and would increase the usability (value) of M92...
True. I had the impression that the last version did not improve much! I was expecting the very change you are talking about above, the one to improve the workflow by making easier the change of the current tool. With as much as I know about programming that should be easy...
Quote:
I do not understand what is the Onyx's key for selection of suggestions. If there is no feedback from them one does not know, if his effort in suggesting/bug reporting has any effect or if it is just waste of time.
I am with you here. Have the same impression. I am intensively using the ereader every day and I don't know what I would do without it but I somehow had the impression that lately the suggestions are not considered anymore. Might be because I did not test the latest version and the reviewers did not have any interest in the features I was looking for. That gave me the impression that nothing fundamentally changed for me in this new version

thanks for the feedback and I am waiting for you to confirm that that tool changing has been made easier!

PS: We discussed here that in Scroll page mode and zoomed in it would be useful to to be able to move the page with the joystick (left rigt, up down) in small increments as changing the page was already provided by dedicated buttons on the opposite side> Was this suggestion implemented ?

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 08-27-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
All these in the latest version right?
No, in many previous ones. In the latest I do not see any usable (for me) improvements. (Beside alpha version of a new pdf reader...)

I used for long time the fw from march/april and skipped one or two following upgrades. Now I use the latest one.

The tool icon that I meant is the one beside the clock. If you click it the dialog is a little different than if you click the one in left corner (menu icon).

It is not a big improvement, if any....

The workflow is what bothers me the most. It could be improved quite easily, in my opinion. And it would add great value to usability of the reader.

I guess, the problem is, you cannot list it in a feature list and that is main reason for not improving it. It is more "sexy" to add new features, formats, etc than just improve that what exists...

I am not sure, but maybe was implemented one of my suggestions (but I am not sure in which fw version). The reader seems to remember the setting for the particular document (cropping, etc.). I did not explore it very much and I read one document by one.

Should help if one switches between several documents.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
PF4Mobile
Guru

I am running 1.7 20120221
The tool icon next to the clock does nothing
Do you remember if that changed later than this version?
Can you (or anyone else) post a screenshot ? BTW is it possible to get a screen shot on this ereader ?

thanks
PF
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
I am running 1.7 20120221
The tool icon next to the clock does nothing
Do you remember if that changed later than this version?
Can you (or anyone else) post a screenshot ? BTW is it possible to get a screen shot on this ereader ?

thanks
PF
This was added between late-March "anti-freeze" firmware and 20120726. Very useful indeed
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
PF4Mobile
Guru

Then I have to upgrade
Too bad they do don produce a list of changes that Booxtor or someone else can quote here when a new version is released. Thanks for confirming
Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
PF4Mobile
Guru

So in the end is just my poor perception of the entire issue.
Things do change and suggestions are considered.

Case closed

Sorry for that Onyx!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Things do change and suggestions are considered.
For every two steps forward there's one backwards and three to the side. They're dancing passodoble with us
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
PF4Mobile
Guru

Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
For every two steps forward there's one backwards and three to the side. They're dancing passodoble with us
You're right. And I have the impression that they do not have many developers so changes take a long time.
It's a pity because I believe that the hardware has great potential and that the software it's holding it back.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Mono
Mono

If they decided to go android, maybe they focus their forces that direction.

But if they invested say a week or two of one programmer on little changes that make workflow better the money invested wouldn't be wasted...

But, there is some development, let us hope it will continue for at least year or two...
Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

The tool icon that I meant is the one beside the clock. If you click it the dialog is a little different than if you click the one in left corner (menu icon).

It is not a big improvement, if any....

The workflow is what bothers me the most. It could be improved quite easily, in my opinion. And it would add great value to usability of the reader.
I do not see any improvement at all here
The only difference is that now that icon opens the tools panel. That is all
Damn. Wasted the time with this. Also The merge scribbles which used to be next to the Delete scribbles disappeared. Where did that go?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
PF4Mobile
Guru

At a second look thre is a slight improvement, the tool button next to the clock seem to get you always to a panel with essential tools for reading.
I was hopping that it would be smaller and quicker, I do not need to wait for that panel to load up and select something.
What is the point (in landscape mode at least) to have 4/5 of the bottom side covered by the page slider ??
Old 08-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #15
Mono
Mono

Yes, it is only a small improvement. Despite the size I would like if there is say 6 last tools used and 6 ones most used (by user statistics).

Wouldn't be perfect (because of the size), but would be easy and fast to implement (1-2 days of work) and one would have access to most used features in two easy cliks.