Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
comet
Connoisseur
comet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis , Kindle Oasis 2, Tolino Epos
topaz: improved quality?

Hallo,

I observed at amazon.de that many titles (in english) they former sell in topaz aren't available any longer. But the ones I bought from the rest that is still available seems to have much more quality. Is there an improved version of the topaz-format?
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I do not believe the format has anything to do with the quality. topaz is the format used for OCR documents and it is likely you are seeing some proofing being done. See our wiki for more information on this format.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
comet
Connoisseur

I already read the wiki. But If I understand it correctly, the only factor of quality seems to be the quality of the scan. Is this right?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What exactly quality improvements are you seeing in the books you bought?

Dale
Old 03-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
comet
Connoisseur

Two kinds (I read mathematical texts in topaz-format): Some time ago I often missed in mathematical expressions parts of the expression like an index and so on. Now the expressions are always complete. Second the integration of mathematical expressions into the surrounding text looks now very nice with respect to the size and the form of the expressions.

Last edited by comet; 03-11-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
Two kinds (I read mathematical texts in topaz-format): Some time ago I often missed in mathematical expressions parts of the expression like an index and so on. Now the expressions are always complete. Second the integration of mathematical expressions into the surrounding text looks now very nice with respect to the size and the form of the expressions.

It sounds like they have improved the processing of the data with regard to mathematical text. Topaz uses a technique very similar to that used in DJVU. You can read about how DJVU works in our wiki. To be more precise it is like IW44 which is a simplified subset of DJVU. I suspect they have improved the glyph location and sizing techniques to optimize the use of mathematical equations. The database itself would not need changing to accommodate this sort of improvement, however, the scanning processing would need to be better. Glad to hear about this improvement.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 03-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.