Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
eBooks: An immature technology

I've been trying to format some ebooks nicely. It's near impossible to do a good job. Different implementations of standards. Not enough support for special formatting needs. Insufficient documentation.

And yet people are already rushing to get interaction and video implemented in ebooks, when they don't even have plain text done right yet.

It would be nice even if a single format rendered consistently, but no. Even Amazon haven't done it with Kindle - the Kindle renders certain things differently to Kindle for PC/Windows, and possibly differently again on Kindle for iPod/Phone/Pad.

And ePub.... no-one follows the standard properly or completely.

It makes an eBook designer's life very difficult.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-03-2010 at 07:38 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Ahh. But if you manage to make yours perfect perhaps others will follow you
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I can understand your frustration, all you can do is provide a "best-fit."
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I can understand your frustration, all you can do is provide a "best-fit."
Oh, yes. I'll get something done. It's just so frustrating to have to work around these bugs that shouldn't be there. Missing features I can bear, but inconsistent rendering drives me up the wall.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Ahh. But if you manage to make yours perfect perhaps others will follow you
I don't expect perfection. But it would be nice if text didn't change relative sizes depending on which device you read the book on! (Really — it's possible for text in a Kindle book to display smaller than the default size on a Kindle, but bigger than the default size on Kindle for PC or Kindle for Windows!)

And the work-arounds are so ugly. :-(
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Just to give you nightmares have you considered the html/css standards and how consistent the rendering is by all the major name players.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
dang! and here I thought all the starving children had it hard...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Having calmed down a bit, I think I really should have posted this in the Vent and Rant thread. Next time...
Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Having calmed down a bit, I think I really should have posted this in the Vent and Rant thread. Next time...
If you can't vent and rant where the venting and ranting is best, why bother! Vent away!

But the truth is the technology IS immature and being held back by the very people who should WANT ebook technology to be a success. Greed and strategic thinking don't always walk in lock step with each other.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Definitely. I think all the excitement and enthusiasm is great-but I still feel we are still in the dark ages when it comes to not just content formatting, but reading hardware as well.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Definitely. I think all the excitement and enthusiasm is great-but I still feel we are still in the dark ages when it comes to not just content formatting, but reading hardware as well.
The simple fact that I cannot buy an ebook from Amazon and read it on a Nook, or buy a book from Sony and read it on a Kindle is very telling. Hopefully the industry will settle on a standard filetype sooner rather than later.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
The simple fact that I cannot buy an ebook from Amazon and read it on a Nook, or buy a book from Sony and read it on a Kindle is very telling. Hopefully the industry will settle on a standard filetype sooner rather than later.

You think !?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
the sad thing is how many possible i.e. (easily implementable) features are being ignored.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The problem is that Amazon doesn't want you to be able to buy an ebook from Amazon and read it on a Nook; they want you to read it on an Amazon-controlled platform, even if they have to give it to you free. And really, they'd rather sell you a Kindle. Repeat for every other device vendor which owns a bookstore.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I agree completely with the original poster. Can we please just get the books to format properly before worrying about a bunch of added features?

With Amazon and Smashwords both, you have to go through their conversion process and you can't tweak the final result. And how things appear on Kindle for PC is apparently not how they appear on the handheld device...which is also true of converting with Calibre for epub, checking its reader, and how the book displays on a Kobo.

I'd like my book to display perfectly on all devices, too, with a clickable table of contents, but it doesn't happen going through the meatgrinder.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote