Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
32 GB Micro SD card on an Entourage PE

I bought a Patriot 32GB micro SD card for the PE. I put it in and the PE says it's corrupt, so I use the PE to reformat it (there seems to be two ways to do this, but only one seems to work - clicking on format in the notification pane).

Once the MSD card is formatted, it reports 29GB free. I am able to create a file on it so it seems like I'm ready to go (I'm running out of space w/o the msd card).

I run app2sd. This is a free app that allows you to move certain apps from main memory to sd card. When I try to do this with any app, I get "Failed to move application." error.

Anyone know why? I noticed that on other android phones, the msd card has a folder structure to it. My PE formatted MSD card has only a LOST.DIR file. I wonder if this error I got is due to the fact I don't have a predetermined folder structure.

Anyone know what my issue is?

Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Gary, for a start the PE is not a phone. Yes it uses the Android OS but it a well modified version to help with using the e-ink side of things.

There is a thread about moving the internal sd to external and to use that you must follow the instructions exactly - even then some people are having problems.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138124

May I ask what is using all the space on the internal storage? If it is books then those can be moved to external SD without problems, in fact I have several SD cards with different sets of manuals and information on them and just use the one I need when I need it.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
garyhgaryh -

Apps2SD doesn't work on the eDGe. This was a new feature on Froyo, so my guess is the eDGe programming wizards never got around to implementing it. My suspicion is that the problem has something to do with the encryption. There are other methods (see ivanjt's link), but they are not ideal solutions.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Gary, for a start the PE is not a phone. Yes it uses the Android OS but it a well modified version to help with using the e-ink side of things.

There is a thread about moving the internal sd to external and to use that you must follow the instructions exactly - even then some people are having problems.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138124

May I ask what is using all the space on the internal storage? If it is books then those can be moved to external SD without problems, in fact I have several SD cards with different sets of manuals and information on them and just use the one I need when I need it.

Hi Ivan
Yes, I know the PE is not a phone!

What am I going to do with all that spce on internal storage?
I will be using it to keep documents of rentals paperwork. I will also use that space for downloading apps and put some music on the micro sd card.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
garyhgaryh -

Apps2SD doesn't work on the eDGe. This was a new feature on Froyo, so my guess is the eDGe programming wizards never got around to implementing it. My suspicion is that the problem has something to do with the encryption. There are other methods (see ivanjt's link), but they are not ideal solutions.
Thanks Kenny!
Gary
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
I just swapped the mount points for the internal SD and the microSD and ignore the internal space (for now). Maybe I'll use it for backups. I guess if you're really adventurous you could try to repartition the dead space into an expansion of an internal mount, but I haven't found a need to risk it.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
I just swapped the mount points for the internal SD and the microSD and ignore the internal space (for now). Maybe I'll use it for backups. I guess if you're really adventurous you could try to repartition the dead space into an expansion of an internal mount, but I haven't found a need to risk it.
what format is your SDcard? Fat 32? ext2?

I read the other thread they partition the sd card. I wonder what a good ratio is to partition it if I went that route? 50/50 (50% fat32 and 50% ext2)?

Can you use app2sd or do you use link2sd?

Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 08-05-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
FAT32. I don't use either; Apps2SD afaik doesn't work, and Link2SD sometimes works but I had no luck with it. I modified my fstab files to swap mount points for extsdcard and sdcard, although it was very strange. I thought I had switched them back to normal, but my sdcard partition shows up with 16GB so I just don't mess with it. There's too many quirky things about ermine.

You need to partition part of it to EXT2 I believe (or EXT3, not sure if ermine supports journaled partitions anyway) to use Link2SD from what I can remember.

What I meant by partitioning is to swap extsdcard and sdcard like I did so everything points to your physical card, take the dead EMM memory you don't use anymore (what the PE thinks is "/extsdcard") and drag out your applications partition to fill it so you don't need to muck around with Link2SD. I'm not too interested in trying it until the PE gets a working recovery mode.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
FAT32. I don't use either; Apps2SD afaik doesn't work, and Link2SD sometimes works but I had no luck with it. I modified my fstab files to swap mount points for extsdcard and sdcard, although it was very strange. I thought I had switched them back to normal, but my sdcard partition shows up with 16GB so I just don't mess with it. There's too many quirky things about ermine.

You need to partition part of it to EXT2 I believe (or EXT3, not sure if ermine supports journaled partitions anyway) to use Link2SD from what I can remember.

What I meant by partitioning is to swap extsdcard and sdcard like I did so everything points to your physical card, take the dead EMM memory you don't use anymore (what the PE thinks is "/extsdcard") and drag out your applications partition to fill it so you don't need to muck around with Link2SD. I'm not too interested in trying it until the PE gets a working recovery mode.
I got my sd card set up and link2sd works great! If you need help, please let me know. It was a headache to set up but I free'd a bunch of space now.