Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Can you recommend a good free ebook reader for PC?

Hello,
I d like to get an eReader for my PC but cant find a decent one. I tried Microsoft Reader and couple others but didnt really like em. I just need a good simple ereader to browse my library in different formats. Calibre is too big and I wouldn't like to install it on my work PC. Any recommendations? Thanks.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Get Kindle For PC at Amazon. It works like the device, nice and easy, and you will be able to take advantage of all of the free ebook promotions.

I use Kindle For iPad, and almost every book i read was a freebie. There are two very dedicated members of this forum who report daily on all new freebies. The trick is to grab them quickly, because it seems like the best books are only free for short periods, sometimes even just a few hours.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Get Kindle For PC at Amazon. It works like the device, nice and easy, and you will be able to take advantage of all of the free ebook promotions.

I use Kindle For iPad, and almost every book i read was a freebie. There are two very dedicated members of this forum who report daily on all new freebies. The trick is to grab them quickly, because it seems like the best books are only free for short periods, sometimes even just a few hours.
Can I read ePub with that as well as other formats? Tnx.

Last edited by pashlit; 02-10-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Have a look here for a wide choice ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
I just need a good simple ereader to browse my library in different formats. Calibre is too big and I wouldn't like to install it on my work PC.
In order to browse your entire library in all different formats you will have to either have multiple readers or Calibre.

Calibre is large, but I would give up many other things on my hard drive to have it. If I remember correctly, there is a version of Calibre that can be installed on a USB flash drive with your collection and then run on any computer. I will try to find it again in the help file and edit to post a link.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Wow!! You may very well find something good in this list. I see a couple that even handle .mobi, which I thought would be the one you needed a seperate reader for.

Here is the link to how to install Calibre on a USB flash drive.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Wow!! You may very well find something good in this list. I see a couple that even handle .mobi, which I thought would be the one you needed a seperate reader for.

Here is the link to how to install Calibre on a USB flash drive.
Thanks guys. That link was really helpful. Calibre for USB is a good one. I also tried Stanza. Nothing fancy. Works good with Epub i opened. But also requires install.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I use uBook from www.gowerpoint.com. The newest version handles zipped epub files.
dmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
For EPUB books I just use the EPUBReader which is an add-on for Firefox - you only have to use your browser. And for work - well let us just say you could quickly flick back to that boring page on government legislation when the boss is on the prowl.....
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
Hello,
I d like to get an eReader for my PC but cant find a decent one. I tried Microsoft Reader and couple others but didnt really like em. I just need a good simple ereader to browse my library in different formats. Calibre is too big and I wouldn't like to install it on my work PC. Any recommendations? Thanks.
What to get depends on what you plan to read. The problem is that there's no single ebook format everyone supports. Amazon uses the Mobipocket format for the Kindle and Kindle apps. The Barnes and Noble nook and Sony Reader use ePub. There are other formats out there, like the .LIT files used by the Microsoft Reader.

You might want to look at FBReader, a free, open source ebook viewer. It's cross-platform and available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS/X and an assortment of other platforms. There is also a version called FBReaderJ written in Java for an assortment of cell phones.

Supported formats include ePub, Mobipocket, FB2 (defacto Russian ebook format), HTML (limited), plain text, and an assortment of other things.

A particular win for me was support for the format used by the Plucker offline HTML viewer for Palm OS, as I have about 4,000 volumes in Plucker format I can now read on my PC as well as my PDA.

It does not support DRM, so you'll have to strip DRM from commercial ebooks to read them with it, and support for the formats it reads is not as good as a dedicated viewer. But it does well enough to be useful, and the price is right.

See http://www.fbreader.org/about.php for details.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Calibre does it all with overhead. I have Kindle PC for free or sample Amazon downloads. Firefox has a very good ePUB reader. Nitro pdf reader is also good to have lying around.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
smg927
Enthusiast
smg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Jetbook
I like FB Reader. You can find it at http://www.fbreader.org/
smg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Of all the for pc free aps I've tried Kindle does the most consistently good job of letting me read my books. However, you end up with only .mobi.

ePub on my pc tended to be buggy. Like it wouldn't hold bookmarks or notes. Not the end of the world or anything, but it was annoying.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
ePub on my pc tended to be buggy. Like it wouldn't hold bookmarks or notes. Not the end of the world or anything, but it was annoying.
Which ePub viewer(s) did you try?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
I like Ibis Reader. It's online, so you can read your books on any PC, smartphone etc. It only reads DRM-free ePubs, but you can just use your home Calibre setup to convert everything you have to epub format and then upload it. It's just so handy and flexible and free...
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote