Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #406
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
It impossible to have a lighted screen with such technologie as eInk, simply because, the problem of LCD screen for reading session is that it is not reflected light, but emitted light. So if you want a screen with ease of read like the eInk one, it must not be backlighted
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #407
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
It impossible to have a lighted screen with such technologie as eInk, simply because, the problem of LCD screen for reading session is that it is not reflected light, but emitted light. So if you want a screen with ease of read like the eInk one, it must not be backlighted
It could be lighted in a different way. But the problem is lights use battery, anyway.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #408
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I doubt someone could find a way to do anything better than a lamp you plug in it, like for a real book. The PRS700 or the lamp for the PRS505 are (for me) a real pain and adds more problems than solutions.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #409
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborg View Post
After 1 1/2 years i let my cybook drop from 10cm into my well padded bagpack while it was wearing its brown "leather" coat. The next time I wanted to use it the screen was messed up and it doesn't respond anymore.

I think in future I will stay away from bookeen.
Rather, stay away from eInk with glass substrate. eInk screens with a plastic substrate should be with us next year, initially in a large form factor from Plastic Logic, but hopefully in 5" or 6" screens from others. These will be far more robust.

I don't think I'll be buying another glass-substrate eInk screen. Although when my CyBook broke I'd be sorely tempted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #410
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leequick1 View Post
The eInk is great, uber-light, beautiful display. However as we all know here, it is very delicate, needs an external light and very expensive to repair. I am hoping that there is a new kind of reader in the future, one that is as light as an eInk, has the same battery life and a display that is both durable and (I hope) doesn't need an external light source.
We should have screens with a plastic, rather than glass, substrate by the end of this year or early next year.

I must respectfully differ with your assertion that they are "very delicate". They are pretty immune to straightforward impact - what generally breaks the screen are bending or twisting forces. Avoid those, and you should be just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #411
Holden
Enthusiast
Holden began at the beginning.

Device: cybook, kindle3
Ok, count me in. My cybook left me. He was young, just one year old. I have loved him since he was born and treated him as a loving mother.
I spare you all the story. absolutely similar to the ones told here so far. (120 euros, blah blah). I finally came to the conclusion that I did not know what i did but I did something wrong.
The good thing is that they are going to repair it here in Italy, the annoying thing is that nobody informed us before the purchase about the extreme frailty of the screen. Now even Harry admits that it is very delicate without a hard case, but why don't put it a HUGE warning in all the forums?
I also think that the cybook is more fragile because of its thinness, and I can bet that something will be done in the next version and that the Bookeen is totally aware that there is some weakness in the product.
Ok, now what shall i do?
I was thinking of having it repaired, not without an impressive number of f* words because I have spent too much time in collecting, formatting and converting books in the prc format to throw it all away.
But I am also thinking of buying a Sony 505 during my next trip to London (it is not sold in Italy) which costs 199 pounds.
And when both the two devices pass away for no apparent reason, I will take the local library card and forget about the digital books.
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #412
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I would probably wait for newer devices that probably appear in a couple of months and read on my phone ör some other device (N810 or Palm T5) while waiting.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #413
AL1432
AL1432 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3 / Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Ok, count me in. My cybook left me. He was young, just one year old. I have loved him since he was born and treated him as a loving mother.
I spare you all the story. absolutely similar to the ones told here so far. (120 euros, blah blah). I finally came to the conclusion that I did not know what i did but I did something wrong.
The good thing is that they are going to repair it here in Italy, the annoying thing is that nobody informed us before the purchase about the extreme frailty of the screen. Now even Harry admits that it is very delicate without a hard case, but why don't put it a HUGE warning in all the forums?
I also think that the cybook is more fragile because of its thinness, and I can bet that something will be done in the next version and that the Bookeen is totally aware that there is some weakness in the product.
Ok, now what shall i do?
I was thinking of having it repaired, not without an impressive number of f* words because I have spent too much time in collecting, formatting and converting books in the prc format to throw it all away.
But I am also thinking of buying a Sony 505 during my next trip to London (it is not sold in Italy) which costs 199 pounds.
And when both the two devices pass away for no apparent reason, I will take the local library card and forget about the digital books.
Holden,
You might want to read my post from last year available here on the eCaddy:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=24870&page=11
I've been using the eCaddy since that time and have found it to be a very solid case for the cybook. It's marketed for the Sony but adding just a bit of cushioning it's a snug fit for the cybook as well. I see it on Amazon.com at: http://www.amazon.com/eCaddy-Hardshe.../dp/B0010W3JQO or you can search ebay for eCADDY. I think it's well worth the $25.
Al
AL1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #414
zed01
zed01 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Ok, now what shall i do?
I broke my Cybook again and got the same offer - 120 EUR, which was the price for repair about a year ago. But now - only topping with 80 USD I can get a Kindle international which is much more robust and it will digest my moby book collection as well. So I asked Bookeen whether the repair cost is negotiable. I'm wondering what will be the answer.

Last edited by zed01; 01-11-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: minor readibility fix
zed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #415
fgpx78
fgpx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Now, My screen broke today.
My gf was reading it, she put it on the table (it was turned on) and then, after like 5 minutes it was there still, I saw it. It changed from the normal screen to the fucked up one :O It's incredbile! How can something broke by itself while it's on the table, not moving nor anything? Am I the only one that witnessed the moment of the breaking here?
I used the device for just 3 months, always been home in safe places. I'm really, really pissed off... and now I'll have to come back to Italy (I'm living abroad) just to take it back to the service!
Anyone got it repaired for free?
fgpx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #416
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpx78 View Post
Now, My screen broke today.
My gf was reading it, she put it on the table (it was turned on) and then, after like 5 minutes it was there still, I saw it. It changed from the normal screen to the fucked up one :O It's incredbile! How can something broke by itself while it's on the table, not moving nor anything? Am I the only one that witnessed the moment of the breaking here?
I used the device for just 3 months, always been home in safe places. I'm really, really pissed off... and now I'll have to come back to Italy (I'm living abroad) just to take it back to the service!
Anyone got it repaired for free?
Are you sure it's broken ?
If the screen has strips, it could be only that it's out of battery (pretty spectacular !)
Charge it fully, just in case !

Last edited by Idoine; 01-29-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #417
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
As idoine said, is the screen realy broken ? What does it look like ?

If it stayed, home, probablity of it being hit badly enough to break seam thin. Maybe you where unlucky enough to get a defective one (in that case, it should be free to fix, and covered by warranty.)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #418
fgpx78

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
As idoine said, is the screen realy broken ? What does it look like ?

If it stayed, home, probablity of it being hit badly enough to break seam thin. Maybe you where unlucky enough to get a defective one (in that case, it should be free to fix, and covered by warranty.)
It looks like the one in the first post of this thread I'll post some photos.
The difference is mine doesn't change even in non broken parts.

It was fully charged not long before, so I think it's not the battey (I tried to charge it too)

I don't know what to say...if I didn't witness it happening I would not belive me :|
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01734.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	45069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01737.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	45070  

Last edited by fgpx78; 02-05-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added Images
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #419
fgpx78

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpx78 View Post
It looks like the one in the first post of this thread I'll post some photos.
The difference is mine doesn't change even in non broken parts.

It was fully charged not long before, so I think it's not the battey (I tried to charge it too)

I don't know what to say...if I didn't witness it happening I would not belive me :|
up! Posted Photos
Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #420
Godzil

The screen is broken, there is no other explanation I doubt... The impact seem to come from the bottom (on the screen) near the middle...

Tags
broken, cybook, screen