Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Dazed and Confused (by all the options, Help!)

Hello there,

Not only am I a new poster, but after reading through so many of the threads I feel like I am more confused than ever and on information overload! I was all set to purchase a Kindle, then I received an email about the Nook. On paper the Nook looks great. But will it be good in reality? Should I hold out a while longer until some reviewers get their hands on a Nook??

What I want:
I want to be able to purchase and read fiction bestsellers and new releases

I want to be able to load (either straight up or thru conversion) PDF articles I need for my job (psychologist)

I want to be able to read library books (either through sideways loading, rigged conversion, whatever, as long as it works)

What I like the idea of:
text to speech
color
ergonomic/easy to hold
wi-fi
international usage.

So, I know some of these features favor Kindle, others favor Nook. Or am I missing the boat on another, better item? I like the pricepoint of these readers and can't spend a lot more.

What do I do?!?!? Help please!

Kerry
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #2
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
A fellow member here, wallcraft, often posts this ebook guide: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
I've had a look at it and it's a really good guide, would recommend you have a look and find one that meets all your requirements.

I personally just bought an Astak Pocket Pro and love it. Reads what I've thrown at it well except for lit files. But it doesn't have wi-fi. However it fits all your other requirements. You can see it here: http://www.astak.com/product.asp?serial=05EZWHT It also comes with a number of colour choices and currently they are offering a holiday gift basket.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Delia575
Inexorably Curious

Thanks, I had seen that link before but I appreciate the help. What I feel like I really need is an opinion from people that are more "in the know" about the Nook and potential readers that will be announced in January.

Also, are any Kindle owners thinking "yeah, that Nook sure looks better?" I don't want to get a Kindle and immediately wish I had waited for the Nook.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why are you only considering the Kindle and the Nook?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia575 View Post
Also, are any Kindle owners thinking "yeah, that Nook sure looks better?" I don't want to get a Kindle and immediately wish I had waited for the Nook.
Nah, not really (apart from the fact I can't buy the Nook anyway ). It certainly looks nice, and the little colour screen looks nice - but, I know from how I feel about using my iPod Touch, that using a touch screen to navigate lack the physical feedback you get from buttons, you need to be able to see what you're doing and it's not great on such a small screen. Ability to read epub from other vendors is a big plus (not happened yet though I think?) over the Kindle, which is rather locked in.

What I really like about the Kindle the ability (with a little bit of fiddling) to use a translation dictionary. I want to improve my German vocabulary, and it's a great help when reading German that I can look up words. I also like the ability to make notes with the keyboard, it's quite fast and easy to use.

The newly introduced PDF functionality on the Kindle is basic. You can't control zoom or display size, it just zooms to fit width, vertically or horisontally. You can't annotate in PDFs either.

Unless you remove DRM, you can't use it for library books or books bought in other shops than Amazon.

Have you considered a Sony Touch ('Sony 600')? AFAIK it might fit your needs better.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Have you considered a Sony Touch ('Sony 600')? AFAIK it might fit your needs better.
I agree. Owning both a Sony PRS-600 and a Kindle 2, I think personally that the Sony is, overall, a significantly better device.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. Owning both a Sony PRS-600 and a Kindle 2, I think personally that the Sony is, overall, a significantly better device.
I've just sold my Sony 505, Harry, do you think I should buy a 600?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I've just sold my Sony 505, Harry, do you think I should buy a 600?
It depends very much what you use it for. As you know, I create most of the eBook that I read myself, and for me, the on-screen annotation of the PRS-600 is an absolutely vital feature, since it allows me to easily mark all my proof-reading corrections; before I got it, I had to write everything down in a (paper) notebook. I know that you can make annotations using the Kindle's keyboard, but it's much easier to do it "free hand" with the stylus on the 600.

The Kindle is certainly an excellent device; I just feel that - at least for my needs - the Sony is significantly better.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle is certainly an excellent device; I just feel that - at least for my needs - the Sony is significantly better.
It was mostly meant for fun, but I see what you mean I like to be able to make notes. I remember things much better if I have to stop and think and write a short note, and for that purpose I would rather not use an onscreen keyboard, either with or without stylus.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Delia575,

You may want to wait a week or two until folks actually get their hands on a nook. There will be quite a few who own Kindles or Sonys or other devices who will also be purchasing nooks who can give you a fair hands on comparison.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Delia575
Inexorably Curious

I was mostly considering the Kindle and the Nook because of price, content, and proliferation. Kindle because of amazon store (with cheaper books) and Nook because I am a B&N member and just love B&N. I really don't know enough about the Sony's but I am willing to investigate.

Perhaps you are right in that if I can hold out a little longer I can get feedback from people that get a Nook.

I just don't want it to take a year like I waited for my new phone... First I was waiting for the Treo 800W to come out, then the Treo Pro was announced. Just as the Pro arrived, the Pre was announced as CES. So then I waited until summer to get what I really wanted, a Pre.

I don't want to spend another year! No patience!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Go to a Sony store and try the devices themselves. Bring a file with you and get them to let you try it. As for Wifi- neither the Nook or kindle have it.

For PDFs -Dont take my word for it since I sell them, read the other reviews here by owners- I really suggest the PocketBook models. The PDF support is quite possibly the best available and is one of the reasons I wanted to carry the line.

Of course the PocketBook 302 will be out soon as well as other models as you mentioned. If you are on the fence now it might just be better to wait until after CES.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Go to a Sony store and try the devices themselves. Bring a file with you and get them to let you try it. As for Wifi- neither the Nook or kindle have it.
The Kindle has Whispernet so it doesn't need wifi unless you're in an area that isn't covered (very easy to check Amazon's coverage map before purchasing). I believe the nook has limited wi-fi within a B&N store.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
WiFi is useful with a home or office network to move files from one device to another and for printing etc where whispernet is not. Many people prefer to have both and WiFi over whispernet if made to choose.

Nook's Wifi is limited to only connecting to the B&N store for browsing/purchasing books. It doesn't have a browser you can access nor will it allow you to transfer files or print to/from the device
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
WiFi is useful with a home or office network to move files from one device to another and for printing etc where whispernet is not. Many people prefer to have both and WiFi over whispernet if made to choose.
Hey, I have no problems with wi-fi being included in a future version of the Kindle but for the most part, you can't print Kindle books anyway. If you need to print personal documents you have on the Kindle, wouldn't they be on a computer already.

I think, though I haven't tried it, if you connected Kindle to a computer and shared the documents folder, you would be able to move the files around as you've described.

Quote:
Nook's Wifi is limited to only connecting to the B&N store for browsing/purchasing books. It doesn't have a browser you can access nor will it allow you to transfer files or print to/from the device
I think I was kind of saying that with the "limited wi-fi in the B&N store" part.