Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Look what I found

I found a Giant Leopard Moth on the front of my house this afternoon. I've lived here 7 years, and that was the first time I've seen an adult. I didn't know moths got that big here in Virginia.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
We found one of those the other day too.. first time I've ever seen one.

And then we found another odd moth very soon after. Something about that house just attracted them.

This is the other one.. no clue what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	31391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	31392  
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Hmm.. looks like it was some kind of sphinx moth, perhaps.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I found a Giant Leopard Moth on the front of my house this afternoon. I've lived here 7 years, and that was the first time I've seen an adult. I didn't know moths got that big here in Virginia.
When you said "look", I thought you were posting a photo.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
When you said "look", I thought you were posting a photo.
I couldn't get a good picture. He was standing on my palm, flapping his wings as hard as he could. It was quite cute. I wish I'd taken the photo during the day (they're nocturnal).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
We found one of those the other day too.. first time I've ever seen one.

And then we found another odd moth very soon after. Something about that house just attracted them.

This is the other one.. no clue what it is.
or an IO moth, or a hummingbird moth....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
As long as we're showing off our moths...
Does this look like yours Gideon?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Huge moth.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	31393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moth wings.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	521.0 KB
ID:	31394  
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Mine's wings were very... funky and weird.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Atlas moth, largest moth in the world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacus_atlas

Well. Just thought it was interesting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	largest moth in the world.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	31395  
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
It's kind of pretty, in a freaky kind of way... We saw a huge one the other day and I immediately thought of mnothman Prophesies... *shiver*

Sorry for typos, can't see my words?? freaky
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Mine's wings were very... funky and weird.
Was it possibly still unfurling? It kind of looks newly "hatched".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

It appeared quite mature.

Here's something similar.. a Walnut Sphinx Moth
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3414
And one more:
http://www.discoveringalabama.org/di...1126901172.jpg
Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Okay. Well, it looks beautiful, as does Nate's Leopard. I've always thought moths were classical understated elegance to a butterfly's gaudy glitz (which I still like...I just like moths better).
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:

Here's something similar.. a Walnut Sphinx Moth
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3414
And one more:
http://www.discoveringalabama.org/di...1126901172.jpg
Nice pictures! They are wonderfully camoflaged!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #15
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Giant stick insect on my door. Kind of cute, but creepy at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sticky.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	31400  
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote