Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
renzii
Librarian/Reader/Student
renzii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 6th Gen
Question Search by the author's surname

I am certain there is some very simple thing that I'm not doing, but since I haven't been able to figure it out, here goes. How can I configure my Calibre preferences, metadata whatever to allow my books to be loaded and searched by the author's surname on a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9? Yeah, I am that dumb. In my defence though, my Nook Simple Touch, Colour and HDs never had this issue... I just clicked send format to device and I was off! I thoght that the Kindle would be the same. Also, my Calibre converted AZW3 files are showing fine, but reading through the forums, I get the idea that I should have chosen Mobi?

Thanks in advance for any help!
renzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, you really don't want to use Mobi. AZW3 is a much more capable format.

Are you saying that your Kindle is sorting your books by author's first name rather than surname? In Calibre I have the author field listed as "surname, firstname". This appears on the Kindle as "firstname surname" and sorts correctly by surname.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-19-2015 at 04:16 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Output Options ==> MOBI/AZW3 Output (tabs, both of them)

Check "Use author sort for author"

Neither MOBI nor AZW3 has a separate author & author_sort field, so the Kindle uses the authors field for sorting (so really it is the author_sort field) and dynamically swaps around the commas to make the display name (which is the typical authors field).

Ideally this would be the default...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, kindle fire hdx, preferred format, search