Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
md02439
Enthusiast
md02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheese

Device: M92 black
Idea for future big-screen Oxyx e-Ink device

If Onyx decides in the future to build and sell a big-screen e-Ink device (like the Sony prototype 13.3-inch) a killer feature in my humble opinion is to integrate a dvi port, enabling the use of the e-Ink display as a second computer monitor.

My eyes would be grateful.

Dimi
md02439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
dbj
dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Agreed.
dbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It would be perfect !
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Danimus
Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
+1
DVI port for e-ink reader so it can behave as monitor would be really great.
And just imagine that in the same time you can connect it to the same machine via USB for on-screen keyboard and use stylus instead of mouse. It would be great device for e.g. IT personnel that needs to jump-start servers.

Also possibility of e-ink reader to be recognized as a printer would be great.

More info about new e-ink technologies from IFA 2013.

D.
Danimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
How exactly do you imagine a DVI port to fit into a device that size? I'd think DisplayPort would already be quite difficult to put in there (or HDMI for that matter, although that comes with royalty payments).
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Why not an second LCD display instead?
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Sorry, but I don't think it will happen (video ports on e-ink devices). The whole market is small, and only a fraction of users would require such ports. Manufacturers will probably prefer not to increase the size, weight and cost of their devices by adding such ports. Remember, the main advantages of e-ink are power consumption and daylight visibility, and using it as a second monitor would not leverage either of these. I may be wrong of course...
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #8
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Hard to say. IMO, adding a video port and ability to serve as monitor and as touchpad for PC might add some new customers. And it should not increase the price IMO too much. :-)

DVI port is too big, but micro HDMI would not be a problem...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
You may be right, I guess we will see. By the way, has such a device been confirmed, or are we just hoping?
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I guess ... hoping. :-)

It will be very expensive anyway....
Old 09-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #11
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
It is a nice idea, but in my opinion it doesn't make sence. An E-Ink screen make sence for reading books but where are the advantages of this type of screens as a second PC screen?
A 17" LCD costs nothing ans I see a lot of advantages of it.

Also the Idea of using a reader as touchpad makes no sence. You can buy a standard Touchpad for 100€ with much more functions, such as pressure sensitivity, buttons and eraser on the pen and so on.

Last edited by medvedev; 09-20-2013 at 06:28 AM.
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Mono
Mono

It makes sence for reading documents. :-) And touch ability for scribbling in documents. :-)

Many people here say. M92 is a good hardware, but SW might be better, might have this and that ability... So, why not allow to use a good hardware as a peripherial for a PC?

If this expansion of HW does not cost fortune...
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
md02439
Enthusiast
md02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheese

Device: M92 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
It is a nice idea, but in my opinion it doesn't make sence. An E-Ink screen make sence for reading books but where are the advantages of this type of screens as a second PC screen?
Well, the idea came to me after spending 8+ hours daily writing my dissertation in scrivener. My eyes were as red as dracula's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
And touch ability for scribbling in documents. :-)
That is also a great idea!

Regards,
Dimi
md02439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by md02439 View Post
Well, the idea came to me after spending 8+ hours daily writing my dissertation in scrivener. My eyes were as red as dracula's.
It sounds like you're not blinking often enough. Instead of changing monitors, try consciously blinking more often (whenever your eyes start to feel a bit dry). People's blinking rate often goes down when they're concentrating hard on what they're doing.

Marcus Gronholm, the rally car driver, would often race for minutes without blinking. It was a bit freaky to watch when you noticed it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #15
bleph
bleph has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bleph has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bleph has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox M90, M92 Black
I would never choose Boox over Sony. The software would be no comparison.
bleph is offline   Reply With Quote