Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
twilightsenpai
twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 4
Well, im at work now. I ve got a netbook with ubuntu, but in my house. Ill try later!

Thanks!
twilightsenpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightsenpai View Post
Well, im at work now. I ve got a netbook with ubuntu, but in my house. Ill try later!

Thanks!
The host PC does not need to be linux. You just need to know how to use linux commands inside the kindle. You can use PuTTY on windows to get into the kindle on SSH.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
poomex
poomex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolkodo View Post
I used what I have got here: http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html
I had luck, the 4.0.1 was good. Give it a try

Why should it be chinese?
My Kindle 4.0.1 password is 'mario'.
Do you know if there is some pattern how root password will change after update to 4.1.0 or maybe there is a way to have password the same after update?
poomex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomex View Post
My Kindle 4.0.1 password is 'mario'.
Do you know if there is some pattern how root password will change after update to 4.1.0 or maybe there is a way to have password the same after update?
You can edit the shadow file and copy in the mario hash. That is what I did for the diags partitions when I added SSH, so it can be copied without having a root pw that depends on a serial number. Diags is normally NOT mario...

You could change it with a passwd command, but then it would no longer be an 8-character DES hash.

Updates are not known to change passwords (yet). It is possible that an image somebody created has THEIR password in it.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
poomex

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can edit the shadow file and copy in the mario hash. That is what I did for the diags partitions when I added SSH, so it can be copied without having a root pw that depends on a serial number. Diags is normally NOT mario...
Could you explain a bit more how would you edit shadow file if root password has been changed?

The reason for my question is that after I revert 'screensaver directory symlink hack' which is currently on my kindle and then update to 4.1.0 I won't be able to access system partition (with USBnet) if update for some reason will change the root password.
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Could you explain a bit more how would you edit shadow file if root password has been changed?

The reason for my question is that after I revert 'screensaver directory symlink hack' which is currently on my kindle and then update to 4.1.0 I won't be able to access system partition (with USBnet) if update for some reason will change the root password.
There is more than one "system partition". Amazon only updates one of them.
If that is not enough reassurance...
You can find links here to v4.1.0 system images and directions on how to install them.

Last edited by knc1; 06-14-2012 at 10:25 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is more than one "system partition". Amazon only updates one of them.
Not any more. There are reports that the latest firmware OTA updates affect diags too.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
geekmaster

Quote:

You copy the "root" line from a shadow that had pw mario (even from a different kindle model) and replace that line in the /etc/shadow file. You need to be careful to not insert carriage-returns into.

I have not seen any evidence that updates change passwords.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not any more. There are reports that the latest firmware OTA updates affect diags too.
Hmm...
That means someone with time on their hands needs to take apart the Amazon *.bin and examine it to confirm/deny those reports.

"Someone with time on their hands" == Not me, not you.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm...
That means someone with time on their hands needs to take apart the Amazon *.bin and examine it to confirm/deny those reports.

"Someone with time on their hands" == Not me, not you.
Or it could be a difference in SHIPPED kindle diags partitions. It is getting more confusing than "usual", perhaps a form of "version obfuscation". ???
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Or it could be a difference in SHIPPED kindle diags partitions. It is getting more confusing than "usual", perhaps a form of "version obfuscation". ???
That md5sum system manifest is checked in "Diags" on v5.1.0 but this is v4.1.0 - I haven't looked at that one.

KeK will have development image profiles for v3.2.1 (which I have), v5.1.0 (which a friend has) as "worked examples".

Also included, filters/profiles for Debian-7, Ubuntu-Core-12.04(5) both sf and hf.

Plus directions on how to make your own filter/profile pairs (simple but tedious).

The only pair posted (as of this moment) is the Debian-7 pair.
No directions posted (yet), someone who grabs what is posted now will just have figure it out from the script command files.

The Ubuntu-Core pairs should be up late(r) today.
The Amazon/lab126 support pairs - just any day, RSN
The PDF directions following that.
The pair for v4.1.0 - not by me, will have to be community provided.

PS: DIY-KeK also does NSLU-2, Beagleboard, Pandaboard, Raspberry Pi ...
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #27
poomex

Quote:
You copy the "root" line from a shadow that had pw mario (even from a different kindle model) and replace that line in the /etc/shadow file. You need to be careful to not insert carriage-returns into.
I did not make myself clear - my question was how to access /etc/shadow when you can't login with ssh to kindle as root (while using USBnet)?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I did not make myself clear - my question was how to access /etc/shadow when you can't login with ssh to kindle as root (while using USBnet)?
Store the .pub part of a ssh key pair in the "authorized_keys" file to enable key-authenticated login. sshd does not refer to the system user/password files that way.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@gm/knc1: FWIW, I *never* saw an OTA update touch the diags part, at least for those available from the Kindle Support page. Can't speak for 'pure' OTA updates, though .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
geekmaster

Quote:
You can do "cat /etc/shadow" while logged into framework:mario. Then you can crack the password with John the Ripper and the fiona wordlist. Or you can access the shadow file from diags SSH. Or you can use a RUNME.sh script with data.tar.gz.