Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
font hack question

I guess I'm just dumb...I've applied the hacks...jailbreak and the font hack, I've put my fonts in the font folder. I've rebooted...should I be seeing my embedded fonts? Or is this just a way to change the single default font...and if so, where do you perform this miracle?

Basically, I'm dealing with files I've made of my own books. I've embedded fonts in the epub and my embedded fonts show on my K4PC (which implies the html code is still intact....since the fonts are installed on my computer.)

Sorry if this s/b obvious, but I'm confused.

Oh...I have a plain older K2. My hack for the screensaver worked like a charm, so I'm not totally off in my process.

Thanks for any advice!
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'm a little confused. Kindles don't read ePub files, and .mobi doesn't support embedded fonts.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Check out the Kindle hack pages of this forum. There is a way to get alternate fonts to display...what I can't figure from the instructions for hacking the Kindle is whether or not you can have several fonts in a file displaying (i.e. special title fonts) or if the hack just allows you to adjust the default font.

I create ebook files in many formats and if you begin with a properly formatted epub file, Kindlegen creates a very nice Kindle mobi file which has the code to display fonts that are installed on the viewing device (in kindle for PC, for instance, my mobi files display the proper fonts.) The underlying basis for both mobi and epub files is html which has font css. That means the code is in the file. There's nothing magical about the fonts kindle displays, it's just a default inbuilt to the OS.

The Kindle hack makes you able to change...something...but the example just shows the default font changed. I was hoping someone could tell me how it's supposed to function.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Embedded fonts is a KF8 feature (ie. KF/KT only), the purpose of the K2/K3 font hack is to switch the global serif/sans-serif families (ie. what you set in the [Aa] menu in the reader) at the framework level, everywhere. It doesn't care about the book themselves, nothing really supports embedded fonts on these devices anyway.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
JaneFancher
Zealot

Thanks NiLuJe! That's what I wanted to know. Now I'm curious to see what one of my books looks like on a KF! I'm generating the Mobi on Kindlegen/Kindle preview. Maybe it'll have my fonts!

When you say "these devices..." does that go for epub devices as well? I have only an old nook to check with and they show in it.

Goodness...I wish they'd quit playing games and settle on a format and actually make it work! (I know...far from an original lament! )

UPDATE: checked on kindlepreviewer and the KF one shows my fonts! YAYAYAY For those interested...I embedded the fonts in my epub file...and converted using kindle previewer. I think if you clean up your epub so that your fonts show in Adobe digital Editions, they'll probably work in KF.

Off to do a snoopy dance....(I'm so easily amused these days...)

Last edited by JaneFancher; 05-05-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Update

Tags
embedded fonts, font hack, fonts, kindle