Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
1Bookworm
Enthusiast
1Bookworm doesn't litter1Bookworm doesn't litter

Device: blackberry, laptop, Kindle3
K3 did not switch off

Help!

My Kindle did not switch off last night - it was still on the last page I had open from last night. The only thing I did different yesterday was deleting the files on my System/Search Index after reading about it on this forum.

I tried holding down the power switch for 20 secs and that didn't work either.

So I hooked it up to my laptop to recharge and that seems to work - this time, it automatically hibernated when I didn't touch it.

However, when switching it on again - the green light flicked on and than went off - however, it let me do everything else eg turn pages, etc.

1) I can't remember but doesn't the green light stay on the whole time when you are reading?

2) Also I will be travelling next month and won't have my laptop with me and therefore won't be able to recharge it. So if it happens again (ie K3 does not switch off), do you know what I should do?

K3 is only 5 months old and I'm hoping that I don't have to replace it.

Thank you.
Bernadette

Last edited by 1Bookworm; 01-24-2011 at 04:47 PM.
1Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bookworm View Post
However, when switching it on again - the green light flicked on and than went off - however, it let me do everything else eg turn pages, etc.

1) I can't remember but doesn't the green light stay on the whole time when you are reading?
Nope. The light only stays on when you're charging it. It briefly lights up when you turn on the Kindle but will turn itself off again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bookworm View Post
2) Also I will be travelling next month and won't have my laptop with me and therefore won't be able to recharge it. So if it happens again (ie K3 does not switch off), do you know what I should do?
Was the Kindle battery flat? That may explain why you couldn't turn it off as it already was off. The indexing process uses significantly more power than normal and if the Kindle overestimated on remaining battery life then it might not have had the chance to display the please charge your Kindle screen.

You should always be able to restart the Kindle if you slide and hold the power button for 20+ seconds.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Anytime the index needs to be done (after deleting the files on System/Search Index), make sure you plug it in to charge while it goes through this process or else it may run the battery down if you have a lot of books.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Nope. The light only stays on when you're charging it. It briefly lights up when you turn on the Kindle but will turn itself off again.

Thank you for your quick response - was really worried that it was faulty.

Was the Kindle battery flat? That may explain why you couldn't turn it off as it already was off. The indexing process uses significantly more power than normal and if the Kindle overestimated on remaining battery life then it might not have had the chance to display the please charge your Kindle screen.

You should always be able to restart the Kindle if you slide and hold the power button for 20+ seconds.
No the battery wasn't flat because I could still turn pages and open up a book. Tired holding the power button for 20+ secs and that seems to have worked. Will now fully charge it so hopefully that will fix the problem.

Also discovered after reading comments on Amazon forum that I should never switch it off at night - just let it go to sleep on its own.

Thanks again for your help
Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Anytime the index needs to be done (after deleting the files on System/Search Index), make sure you plug it in to charge while it goes through this process or else it may run the battery down if you have a lot of books.
Thank you - relieved to hear that I didn't do anything wrong by deleting the files. Thought I might have deleted an important file.

Ps - I also contacted Amazon via email and got a response back immediately (yup - major panic this morning and wrote to everybody!). Their solution was to return the K and they will replace it which I don't want to do however its good to know that I have that option.

Last edited by 1Bookworm; 01-24-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
By erasing those search files (some form of indexing), the kindle needed to recreate them and that entails more indexing. As mentioned that takes power and how long depends on how many books and how large. Also, I have read that occasionally a book or books could stall the indexing process and potentially even books that made it through before.

I'd think that one should not be erasing those search files all that often unless the unit is really slowing down. And when you do so, use the charger and plan for a longish process.

I know Amazon suggests that it can go a long time between charges but you may be pushing your luck if you plan on a month. The US cord and adapter are pretty small and could easily fit in a travel case.

Enjoy the trip and Kindle.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle