Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Oddly enough, this information is not however available on their New Zealand site (at least not yet).
I can see the downoad options on the NZ site (in Firefox).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Lynx-lynx & GeoffR -- odd. I'm not getting download options for either NZ or AU. I'm looking at NZ through both Firefox & Chrome (other countries only through Chrome, as it allows me to re-geolocate myself easily). Admittedly, I'm looking at all these sites in non-logged-in mode -- I don't know if that makes any difference.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
The Harry Potter books also say "Download options: EPUB2 (DRM-Free)." Which is true just not from the Kobo website. But I suppose you don't actually buy them from Kobo either.
It's actually not true: the Harry Potter books do have DRM, in the form of watermarking. It's erroneous to equate "DRM" with "encryption".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lynx-lynx & GeoffR -- odd. I'm not getting download options for either NZ or AU. I'm looking at NZ through both Firefox & Chrome (other countries only through Chrome, as it allows me to re-geolocate myself easily). Admittedly, I'm looking at all these sites in non-logged-in mode -- I don't know if that makes any difference.
I can still see the download options when not logged in.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's actually not true: the Harry Potter books do have DRM, in the form of watermarking. It's erroneous to equate "DRM" with "encryption".
Well if you count watermarking as DRM, why not count copyrighting as DRM too?

Encryption DRM is what most people mean by DRM.
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Some file types won't show download options eg kepub only books, epub3 books (that are read on tablet or apps).

What's the name of a book that you can't find the file type for?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Well if you count watermarking as DRM, why not count copyrighting as DRM too?
Copyright law is certainly one of the reasons that digital rights need to be managed, but copyright law isn't DRM.

Quote:
Perfectly true, to be sure, but that doesn't mean that those people are right. The majority opinion is not necessarily the accurate one. "DRM" is any technology for managing digital rights. Encryption is one such method; watermarking is another. There are a number of others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Copyright law is certainly one of the reasons that digital rights need to be managed, but copyright law isn't DRM.
Copyright law isn't DRM, but inserting a copyright notice into an ebook is a method of managing rights, same as inserting a watermark.

Quote:
Perfectly true, to be sure, but that doesn't mean that those people are right. The majority opinion is not necessarily the accurate one.
What is important to those buying the book is whether DRM will restrict their ability to download or read the book. Encryption is a completely different matter than copyright page or watermark.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #24
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
...Encryption DRM is what most people mean by DRM.
And it seems that's how Kobo looks at it too.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #25
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Some file types won't show download options eg kepub only books, epub3 books (that are read on tablet or apps).

What's the name of a book that you can't find the file type for?
Captivated by You (as listed in the links I gave above) -- it happened to be on the NZ/AU/US versions of the Kobo front page, so was convenient for comparison.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #26
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Captivated by You (as listed in the links I gave above) -- it happened to be on the NZ/AU/US versions of the Kobo front page, so was convenient for comparison.
Captivated by You is a kepub for whatever reasons on the Aus site.

Below is a pic. There's no blackberry icon and that's usually a prime determinant as to whether it's a kepub or not. I mean apart from the fact that now Kobo has reinstalled format info - and that book doesn't show any.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	captivated.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	131454  
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Quote:

Perfectly true, to be sure, but that doesn't mean that those people are right. The majority opinion is not necessarily the accurate one. "DRM" is any technology for managing digital rights. Encryption is one such method; watermarking is another. There are a number of others.
True enough but I'm thinking that at least a watermark doesn't preclude you from being able to easily convert a book from one format to another. Encryption on the other hand makes you jump through some hoops to be able to read a book that you bought in one format (like epub) on a reader that uses another format (like kindle).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #28
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Maybe, to avoid confusion, we should differentiate between DRM and good, old fashioned "Copy Protection."
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #29
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Captivated by You is a kepub for whatever reasons on the Aus site.

Below is a pic. There's no blackberry icon and that's usually a prime determinant as to whether it's a kepub or not. I mean apart from the fact that now Kobo has reinstalled format info - and that book doesn't show any.
Okay, that's really bizarre. I just checked using a Baen-and-therefore-DRM-free book as an example, and you're right, it does show file type.

So Kobo (i) doesn't show file type for kepubs & (ii) e-publishes Captivated by You only in some geolocations as kepub. As I said, really bizarre. Makes one feel one needs a secret decoder ring to interpret their pages.

I haven't actually bought anything off Kobo yet, but now that Diesel has closed down, I may well do so in the future.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #30
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Okay, that's really bizarre. I just checked using a Baen-and-therefore-DRM-free book as an example, and you're right, it does show file type.

So Kobo (i) doesn't show file type for kepubs & (ii) e-publishes Captivated by You only in some geolocations as kepub. As I said, really bizarre. Makes one feel one needs a secret decoder ring to interpret their pages.

I haven't actually bought anything off Kobo yet, but now that Diesel has closed down, I may well do so in the future.
The new information shown is the download options for the book. If nothing is shown, then the book doesn't have any download options (i.e. it can only be synced directly to a Kobo app or device).