Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Cloud Storage

Now that I can't access MegaUpload anymore I looked into Amazon's Cloud Storage. 5 GB for free, but 1000 GB (that is 1 TB right?) cost $1.000/yr.

Woot?
$1.000 every year. Can't I buy a 2 TB external HDD for $100? That would get me 20 TB for $1.000 or 20 times the storage for the same money.

Why would anyone be prepared to pay Amazon $1.000 on a yearly basis?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Not now you can't. Hard drives prices went through the roof recently due to the flooding in Thailand.

But yes, cloud storage will cost more than an external drive.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Why would anyone be prepared to pay Amazon $1.000 on a yearly basis?
You may not have a secure data centre to put your drives in. You may not have the facility to back them up every night. The sort of people who use capabilities such as this have data which is worth enormously more than the cost of storing it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, if my data was that precious there is NO WAY I'd rely on cloud storage!

Cloud storage is fine for things you want to be able to access easily form different computers/devices and also easy to update, but I would not keep anything important in the cloud that I didn't have elsewhere as well! Preferably stored in multiple ways (external hard drive(s), DVD:s...)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Well, if my data was that precious there is NO WAY I'd rely on cloud storage!

Cloud storage is fine for things you want to be able to access easily form different computers/devices and also easy to update, but I would not keep anything important in the cloud that I didn't have elsewhere as well! Preferably stored in multiple ways (external hard drive(s), DVD:s...)
Certainly it makes sense to have a redundant backup strategy. But cloud storage is big business in the commercial world. The company I work for (not Amazon) is investing serious money in selling secure cloud data storage to businesses.
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Yeah, when relying on cloud storage you have to pretty picky on who to trust with your data! It had better not be a "here today, gone tomorrow" solution, and you may need to pay up for that security!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly it makes sense to have a redundant backup strategy. But cloud storage is big business in the commercial world. The company I work for (not Amazon) is investing serious money in selling secure cloud data storage to businesses.
I did not get the impression that Amazon was targeting businesses. I bought a 1 TB USb HDD the size of a pack of smokes. Not very difficult to take with me or even lock away (granted I don't have a fire proof safe or anything like that, then my data doesn't really have a commercial value).

My surprise comes from the difference in pricing. If Amazon wanted $100 for 1 TB I can see how some people might opt for an offfering like that, but $1,000?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

$1 per GB per year is a actually a pretty low rate. You'd struggle to beat that.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-27-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Amazon and Apple's offerings are not meant primarily for backup. You can use them for backup, but the main purpose is to have documents and media that you can easily access from multiple computers/phones/tablets/etc. So the big draw is the syncing feature. It's unlikely that someone would have 1tb of information that they need to sync with all their devices.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
I did not get the impression that Amazon was targeting businesses. I bought a 1 TB USb HDD the size of a pack of smokes. Not very difficult to take with me or even lock away (granted I don't have a fire proof safe or anything like that, then my data doesn't really have a commercial value).

My surprise comes from the difference in pricing. If Amazon wanted $100 for 1 TB I can see how some people might opt for an offfering like that, but $1,000?
For our cloud storage we pay close to $2 per GB. I don't know the details, but I think there's back ups at at least 2 different places, a guaranteed percentage of up-time and guaranteed minimum pipe-width in the Gb/s range.

Regardless, for someone relocating shortly, the easiest/cheapest solution is to take his 200 TB of data with him on HDs, leaving a backup behind.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Who has 200 TB of data?
Isn't that more than everything that has ever been written, recorded and photographed?
Don't even think CIA has 200 TB of data.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Who has 200 TB of data?
Isn't that more than everything that has ever been written, recorded and photographed?
Don't even think CIA has 200 TB of data.
I was working recently on a project with the National Westminster bank, one of the largest UK banks. Their customer database is well over a Petabyte (1024TB) in size. 200TB would not be considered a particularly large database in modern terms. Many large organisations - banks, airlines, etc - will have databases that size.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

They have HD video of every customer?
If one customer = 2 Kb of data then Petabyte = customers on Mars.

I just find it astounding, but I guess once you have the data space then data will expand to fill that space.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
They have HD video of every customer?
If one customer = 2 Kb of data then Petabyte = customers on Mars.

I just find it astounding, but I guess once you have the data space then data will expand to fill that space.
It's basically down to the fact that you're storing details of every transaction that every customer makes. That's an awful lot of data!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon has other storage services for businesses. Amazon S3 comes to mind.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
confusion, consternation, enigma