Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #166
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Just making sure you know that you don't need a special app for this. You can make a share on a Windows PC, and point ES File Explorer to //computername/sharename.
Yes, I use ES File Explorer this way. I actually typed in my IP address.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #167
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
Blossom, I read enough of your references that I finally took the plunge and installed the screen filter app from Haxor. I believe that Amazon should install this app by default. I could never get my screen low enough. Thank-You.

On a side note, I downloaded the App file to my dropbox folder with my computer and then I just install it with dropbox. I like to keep things simple. I wish Amazon could give me a cloud app to do the same thing.

Next step will be to check the battery life on a dimmed screen.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #168
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
Blossom, I read enough of your references that I finally took the plunge and installed the screen filter app from Haxor. I believe that Amazon should install this app by default. I could never get my screen low enough. Thank-You.

On a side note, I downloaded the App file to my dropbox folder with my computer and then I just install it with dropbox. I like to keep things simple. I wish Amazon could give me a cloud app to do the same thing.

Next step will be to check the battery life on a dimmed screen.
Happy to hear it helped. Jack is the one who found it but I can't use my Fire without it unless I am watching a movie.

The Screen Filter app wont changed battery life. If you need more juice then turn WiFi off when it goes to sleep. You can live on a charge for a long time if you do it this way.

Also make sure no apps are running when it goes to sleep. Most apps are set to keep running unless they are exited.

I wish the Screen Filter app had presets. This is something it is lacking.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #169
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Can't dl/install opera mobile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The zoom feature on the Mobile is much better! It has pinch to zoom and it just makes the webpages more readable than the Mini when I do a double tap. I also like the interface better.

I have had issues with the Mini's search bar that works fine on the Mobile. It also uses Google's auto complete as a drop down which is nice.

It also has flash while Opera Mini is limited.

Opera Mini is made for cell phones while Opera Mobile is for tablets and really expensive smartphones.

Yes I did. I don't need both browsers. I think between Silk and Opera Mobile I am all set. Oh and I can visit the Android market using Opera Mobile!

Do you have a link i missed? I tried dl from opera's website but it said opera mobile is not compatible with my device (m.opera.com from dolphin he. From Silk it didn't let me load opera.com at all)
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #170
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Do you have a link i missed? I tried dl from opera's website but it said opera mobile is not compatible with my device (m.opera.com from dolphin he. From Silk it didn't let me load opera.com at all)
Here you go!
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #171
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Blossom, you are as quick as you are awesome!
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #172
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibare143 View Post
Blossom

I installed Mantano 1.6.4 and love it! Only problem I have is closing it. Can not figure out how to shut down in app. Have to do Force Stop under Applications. How do you shut it down?

Thanks
Mark
We found out thanks to Carol testing it. Mantano wont close if you have it set to synch /mnt on the Kindle Fire.

So go to Settings/My Books/Synch Folders and remove /mnt.
Set it to only Sync with the folders your books are in.

Now when you exit it wont be running in the background no more.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #173
Doc109
Enthusiast
Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire 2 (non-HD), Kindle Paperwhite
Help with .apk for Screen Filter... I agree with many of you that the lowest brightness setting is way too bright for night reading. The Screen Filter app seems to be highly reviewed. It does not appear in the Amazon App Store; I found it in the Android Marketplace. But since I don't have an eligible Android device according to Google, I cannot download the app. So can anyone tell me where I can get the .apk so I can get the night reading problem solved?

Thanks in advance!
Doc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #174
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc109 View Post
Help with .apk for Screen Filter... I agree with many of you that the lowest brightness setting is way too bright for night reading. The Screen Filter app seems to be highly reviewed. It does not appear in the Amazon App Store; I found it in the Android Marketplace. But since I don't have an eligible Android device according to Google, I cannot download the app. So can anyone tell me where I can get the .apk so I can get the night reading problem solved?

Thanks in advance!
From my public dropbox

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5210431/Screen%20Filter_1.2.apk
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #175
Doc109
Enthusiast
Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire 2 (non-HD), Kindle Paperwhite
Smile Thanks, Scion!

Many thanks for the link. Just tried out screen filter and it looks like it will solve the night reading problem straightaway.
Doc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #176
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Ok I didn't search through 12 pages, but I just added the Sports Illustrated app to my Fire, created an account for my digital download (compliments of my $10/year print subscription) and WOW! Just perfect in every way! I was afraid the font would be too small to read. Nope. It also has podcasts on some pages, scrolling pictures and sidebar stories and the pictures are just like those in the print magazine, though smaller, they are vivid. I have viewed magazines before using the Zinio app on both the Fire and my Ipad and they just don't compare at all. Highly recommended.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #177
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
Ok I didn't search through 12 pages, but I just added the Sports Illustrated app to my Fire, created an account for my digital download (compliments of my $10/year print subscription) and WOW! Just perfect in every way! I was afraid the font would be too small to read. Nope. It also has podcasts on some pages, scrolling pictures and sidebar stories and the pictures are just like those in the print magazine, though smaller, they are vivid. I have viewed magazines before using the Zinio app on both the Fire and my Ipad and they just don't compare at all. Highly recommended.

You didn't need to search through all 12 pages. This is the first post of it's kind I remember seeing. Of course, I am growing older and somewhat senile. Many of the "professional" reviews said magazines weren't too good on the Fire. I'm glad to hear different as are probably many other owners are. Thanks for this information.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #178
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Found a nice app and it's free on Amazon. Called US Newspapers. It's basically a list of links to the paper/magazine websites. But if you hit the menu, you can also add your own favorite links.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Carol
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #179
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Found a nice app and it's free on Amazon. Called US Newspapers. It's basically a list of links to the paper/magazine websites. But if you hit the menu, you can also add your own favorite links.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Carol

I like this App. World Newspapers is also pretty nice and free from Amazon.

If you like reading newspapers, download PressReader. You will have access to hundreds of newspapers from around the world.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-29-2011 at 07:17 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #180
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I like this App. World Newspapers is also pretty nice and free from Amazon.

If you like reading newspapers, download this zipped version of Reader's Hub with PressReader and Zinio. Sideload and install PressReader first and then Reader's Hub. Do NOT install Zinio. For some reason it is crashing the Fire when used in conjunction with the Reader's Hub. After you install PressReader and the Reader's Hub, open Reader's Hub. Select News and Online Store. You will have access to hundreds of newspapers from around the world.
I looked at PressReader before when you suggested it, but it said you had to pay for the subscriptions to the newpapers.

Carol