Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Viper187
Viper187 began at the beginning.

Device: PC (no DRM)
Wow. Smashwords FAIL

Ok. What gives? I upload a very simple .DOC book to smashwords and it can't even maintain the line breaks when I viewed the HTML version on there, and it bitched about the epub version failing validation. Any ideas? I wrote the whole thing in Gedit and then saved it as doc. Probably the problem, but I've no idea how to fix it. the Word doc looks fine when I open it in OO.

Edit: Fixed
Attached Files
File Type: doc Mentally Irregular 1st Ed.doc (219.5 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by Viper187; 10-14-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Viper187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Have you tried the nuclear option?

Or more basically, have you followed the directions of the style guide step-by-step?
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Viper187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
Have you tried the nuclear option?

Or more basically, have you followed the directions of the style guide step-by-step?
I followed the guide. I barely used any formatting in the document, so there should be no issues.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post
I followed the guide. I barely used any formatting in the document, so there should be no issues.
You've got extra returns between paragraphs, and some lines of text don't have a style applied to them.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These days I tend to think it's almost easier to take your base doc, make a copy, nuke it, and then go back in and put the formatting in the way they like it, than it is to do bits and pieces of fixes.

Compared to whipping it through the grinder three or four times, it's faster to just start from scratch.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Or write in .txt using an app like Notepad, where there is no formatting. Once you're finished, you import your .txt files- I like to have one for each chapter- and apply formatting as needed.

Best part is, going nuclear simply means reverting back to your original .txt files.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Viper187

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Or write in .txt using an app like Notepad, where there is no formatting. Once you're finished, you import your .txt files- I like to have one for each chapter- and apply formatting as needed.

Best part is, going nuclear simply means reverting back to your original .txt files.
That's what I did in the first place. Apparently, the difference in line breaks from a linux text editor is too complicated for Smashwords to compensate for and OpenOffice doesn't appear to have the option of saving it correctly as a Word doc. That's why I had to boot a Windows machine and copy the damn thing line by line into MS Word.

Last edited by Viper187; 10-14-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's what I did in the first place. Apparently, the difference in line breaks from a linux text editor is too complicated for Smashwords to compensate for and OpenOffice doesn't appear to have the option of saving it correctly as a Word doc. That's why I had to boot a Windows machine and copy the damn thing line by line into MS Word.
I've never had the issue you've described. Did you have your text editor set up to automatically insert a linefeed or carriage return instead of automatically wrapping down to the next line? That could easily do it, but I'm not quite sure what kind of word processor would do that anymore. That isn't supposed to have been an issue since the days of the Apple II.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Viper187

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I've never had the issue you've described. Did you have your text editor set up to automatically insert a linefeed or carriage return instead of automatically wrapping down to the next line? That could easily do it, but I'm not quite sure what kind of word processor would do that anymore. That isn't supposed to have been an issue since the days of the Apple II.
No. Linux and Windows use different line break characters. A line break/return in a Windows file is 2 characters, while linux/unix systems only use one of those characters. From what I recall, anyway. Apparently, Smashwords' bullshit converter only expects people to write in Windows.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Well, given that most of the world has had it forced upon them, that's pretty much par for the course. I'm a little surprised that OO doesn't automatically do the conversions, though. Maybe try LibreOffice since they're supposed to have a better Word converter?

Edit: Found your problem: in your text editor, there should be a config option to switch it to windows mode. There is in Kate at least if you use a KDE-based distro. For a temporary switch its in the Tools menu, while a more permanent one is in the preferences.

Last edited by teh603; 10-15-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Keryl Raist
Zealot

Quote:
No. Linux and Windows use different line break characters. A line break/return in a Windows file is 2 characters, while linux/unix systems only use one of those characters. From what I recall, anyway. Apparently, Smashwords' bullshit converter only expects people to write in Windows.
Well, it does say, more or less on the first page of the Smashwords Style Guide that the meatgrinder only works properly with Word.

I've used several programs, especially the free/shareware ones, and Word is still my favorite in terms of functionality.

But, you might want to see about getting a hold of scrivener, either for PC or Mac, and see how that does on conversions. I know a lot of writers absolutely love it.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #12
old goat
Enthusiast
old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
Quote:
Ok. What gives? ....
Edit: Fixed
I'm glad you fixed it. I'm surprised you couldn't save the file as word 97-2003 using OO's Save As function.

How did you fix it?
old goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Saving a successful style

I had trouble every time I submitted a book, because I would forget and have to reread the style guide. Finally, I got it right and then went back, deleted the text, and save the doc under a new style that I named 'ebook.' I was using Word 7. I seems like you would start out with a disadvantage if your operating system was linux.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Its only a disadvantage if you aren't aware of where the conversion issues are so you can plan ahead. Cause it'd probably kill hardware and software designers to adhere to established standards.