Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Hanlin (BeBook) Epub problem - HELP

I have a BeBook with the latest firmware. I have a epub reference book that has extensive footnotes. I have the book in mobi format and I can access the footnotes by pressing OK/6 and inputting the appropriate number.

But now that I have switched to the latest firmware and have to use the epub version of the book, when I press the GO button there is no follow link option. There is a cataog option. But it takes me to the index of the book, where I can then get to the footnotes as a chapter in the back of the book. Then I have to go back to the catalog and back to the book and then find my place again. No easy task.

Any suggestions?
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Change the firmware to something else.
The new firmware uses ADE for epub and ADE does what ADE wants.
Don't expect a fix any time soon.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Change the firmware to something else.
The new firmware uses ADE for epub and ADE does what ADE wants.
Don't expect a fix any time soon.
My 505 has ADE and it follows endnotes just fine. So it's something with that specific implementation and not ADE in general.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So it's something with that specific implementation and not ADE in general.
Or something with the specific ePub version of the book.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Or something with the specific ePub version of the book.
That is a very good possibility.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Hanlin Adobe Digital Editions does not support hyperlinks in ePub. This will presumably be fixed in a future firmware update. For now, I suggest staying with the MOBI version. It should still work on the BeBook although you may have to strip the DRM, if any, using mobidedrm.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The forum is Hanlin.
The topic is BeBook.
And on BeBook/Hanlin's Ade does very little for end users.
And the attitude from EI appears to be "take it or leave it", with no apologies for bugs or missing features. Hence the suggestion that if the file behaved properly with alternate firmware the solution is to revert to the alternate firmware.

What ADE may or not not do on PCs or Sonys is rather irrelevant since Adobe is clearly not licensing their best code to second tier vendors.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What ADE may or not not do on PCs or Sonys is rather irrelevant since Adobe is clearly not licensing their best code to second tier vendors.
They are providing the same SDK to everyone, but integrating it into the way each device works is up to the licensee (in this case Jinke). I think it is fair to say that Jinke rushed their version to market with some features missing and some known bugs. However, Jinke has been very good about incrementally updating its firmware with new features and bug fixes. So I am willing to wait and see.

Note that Sony was the first ADE licensee. They have never fixed one bug on the PRS-505 and PRS-700 and now they are apparently using exactly the same ancient code base on the Pocket Edition and Touch Edition.

Since practically every EInk device is now using mobile ADE, there will eventually be pressure on vendors to keep up on features and bugs. This has not happened yet, and it may take a while for the knowledge base to be built up about the different implementations.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Hanlin Adobe Digital Editions does not support hyperlinks in ePub.
Ouch! That's pretty bad .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I beg your pardon? The CyBook Opus has superb ePub support, which somewhat blows your theory out of the water .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 AM   #11
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsheets View Post
I have a BeBook with the latest firmware. I have a epub reference book that has extensive footnotes. I have the book in mobi format and I can access the footnotes by pressing OK/6 and inputting the appropriate number.

But now that I have switched to the latest firmware and have to use the epub version of the book, when I press the GO button there is no follow link option. There is a cataog option. But it takes me to the index of the book, where I can then get to the footnotes as a chapter in the back of the book. Then I have to go back to the catalog and back to the book and then find my place again. No easy task.

Any suggestions?
Dear Jwsheets,the new firmware will be uploaded recently,it will be solve this problem.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote