Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
AJchang
AJchang began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Smile SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC

Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to replace my trusty Sony PRS-650 with a new Kobo Aura H20. I hope you won't mind if I ask a quick question or two. I've always felt like my Google-fu was strong, but I can't find any information on using a micro SD card with the device. How should I format the card? Should I use Calibre to move books onto the card? The manual was not very helpful.
AJchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJchang View Post
Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to replace my trusty Sony PRS-650 with a new Kobo Aura H20. I hope you won't mind if I ask a quick question or two. I've always felt like my Google-fu was strong, but I can't find any information on using a micro SD card with the device. How should I format the card? Should I use Calibre to move books onto the card? The manual was not very helpful.
The default format of the memory card will do fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If the card is in the ereader, then when you plug the ereader into the computer both the ereader's internal storage and the external card are mounted as seperate filesystems.

Calibre will show both the device (internal storage) and the card, and you can choose which one to send books to, but the card is treated as part of the Kobo device. This means that all of the extra features available when sending books from Calibre to Kobo readers will work for books sent to the card as well. (e.g. options for sending covers, series metadata, etc.)

You can also send books to either the device's internal storage or external card without Calibre by copying them to one filesystem or the other.

If you sync books direct from Kobo then they will be stored in internal storage, unless there is not enough room, and then they will be stored on the external card.

(I have a Sandisk Ultra 16GB and I didn't need to format it, it worked straight out of the packet.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-09-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: ... sync books direct from Kobo ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Just make sure it's a Sandisk, I used to have those typical KOBO "non recognized" warning messages with other brands, although the reader actually displayed the books on the card.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
AJchang
AJchang began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thank-you, everyone, for the prompt replies. I'm sorry for the delayed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The default format of the memory card will do fine.
Thanks! While the card is currently formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), I will follow these instructions and select MS-DOS file system, which I believe is FAT32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If the card is in the ereader, then when you plug the ereader into the computer both the ereader's internal storage and the external card are mounted as seperate filesystems.

Calibre will show both the device (internal storage) and the card, and you can choose which one to send books to, but the card is treated as part of the Kobo device. This means that all of the extra features available when sending books from Calibre to Kobo readers will work for books sent to the card as well. (e.g. options for sending covers, series metadata, etc.)

You can also send books to either the device's internal storage or external card without Calibre by copying them to one filesystem or the other.

If you sync books direct from Kobo then they will be stored in internal storage, unless there is not enough room, and then they will be stored on the external card.

(I have a Sandisk Ultra 16GB and I didn't need to format it, it worked straight out of the packet.)
Oh man, this answered so many additional questions. I'll use Calibre to send books to the card (external storage) rather than device (internal storage). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
Just make sure it's a Sandisk, I used to have those typical KOBO "non recognized" warning messages with other brands, although the reader actually displayed the books on the card.
Definitely SanDisk. And thanks for the heads up!

Again, thank you all for your help. I just ordered the Kobo Aura H20. Super excited!
AJchang is offline   Reply With Quote