Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
NPR - E-Books Strain Relations Between Libraries, Publishing Houses

I heard this on the way to work this morning. It is part of an NPR series on libraries. It was pretty interesting, but I already knew a lot of it thanks to our MR forums and discussions.

Quote:
E-books have changed the world of publishing in fundamental ways. The business model that encouraged publishers to support the work of public libraries has changed to such an extent that this relationship has been stressed to the point of non cooperation.
Link to the piece (audio) is here: http://www.npr.org/2013/08/05/209114...lishing-houses

[related: Library skips publisher, goes directly to author, image by Wonderlane via Flickr]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-06-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: moved to frontpage
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
ebooks have led to strained publisher relations with everybody:authors, agents, retailers, readers, several levels of government.
Libraries are just the latest to complain.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Interesting article with a slightly different slant.

I am still waiting for the articles that mention the benefits of ebooks to libraries. Paper books can cost small libraries and even some larger ones, more than their cover price for each time they are leant out. (Average cost per circulation).

Costs include housing the books, (cost of land/buildings/rent/utilities/shelves/reading tables) . Accessioning the books, (placing scanners, bar codes for checkout, reinforcing covers, the scanners themselves). Books lost or stolen with no fines paid. Staff to shelve, reshelve the books and assist patrons. And then their are incidentals like janitorial staff, accountants and fee collectors.

Most of these items do not apply to ebooks. No storage costs for overdrive book AFAIK although I think their is a fee associated with each circulation. They may expire but they don't deteriorate. I think progressive libraries are realizing these facts which is why we have so many with a good ebook selection. But of course they won't come out and say it for fear of budget cuts.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
NEARY: In April, Simon & Schuster began a one-year pilot program with three public libraries in New York City. The publisher is making its entire catalog available to those libraries. Any new book can be checked out as soon as it's published.
Does she mean this:

http://news.3m.com/press-release/com...york-libraries

If so, Neary was misleading. The number of New York Public Library (Manhattan, Bronx, Staten Island) and Brooklyn Public Library 3M books from all publishers, let along Simon and Schuster, remains tiny. The third New York City library, Queens, doesn't even offer the 3M system, although they may have a few Simon and Schuster eBooks via Axis 360 (a system I've never used).
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Books lost or stolen with no fines paid.
Fines, where I live, are maybe 10 percent of revenue -- or were before eBooks. Also, being able to keep an almost-finished book, for a couple more days, at a modest fee, is a good feature for readers.

Quote:
Staff to shelve, reshelve the books and assist patrons. And then their are incidentals like janitorial staff, accountants and fee collectors.

Most of these items do not apply to ebooks. No storage costs . . .
This can be good for the taxpayers, but not necessarily the libraries. And taxpayer benefit will be small without branch closings proportion to the eBook transition.

Quote:
I think progressive libraries are realizing these facts which is why we have so many with a good ebook selection.
Brooklyn and New York have a much better eBook selection than Queens. That's good for people like me because I use the Brooklyn library to borrow eBooks. But the Queens library is more known for services to immigrants, such as learning English and help applying for jobs. I don't think that makes Queens less progressive.

Libraries don't have just one mission. And some of those missions, such as providing a place for children to do homework, require that employees and buildings not be cut. Even though I read a lot of Overdrive eBooks, I can't say it is all for the best that I be catered to.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Fines, where I live, are maybe 10 percent of revenue -- or were before eBooks. Also, being able to keep an almost-finished book, for a couple more days, at a modest fee, is a good feature for readers.

This can be good for the taxpayers, but not necessarily the libraries. And taxpayer benefit will be small without branch closings proportion to the eBook transition.

Brooklyn and New York have a much better eBook selection than Queens. That's good for people like me because I use the Brooklyn library to borrow eBooks. But the Queens library is more known for services to immigrants, such as learning English and help applying for jobs. I don't think that makes Queens less progressive.

Libraries don't have just one mission. And some of those missions, such as providing a place for children to do homework, require that employees and buildings not be cut. Even though I read a lot of Overdrive eBooks, I can't say it is all for the best that I be catered to.

No where was I suggesting that library services be cut,. Although some services are added to keep libraries alive and maybe not properly their venue. I think that if a service is a library appropriate service it should be available at lall libraries where it is needed, not just those looking for extra funding. Not saying they should not offer it but if one library does why not all if it is considered a valid library service.

My current local library is open on alternate Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and they lend about 3 books a week according to the librarian who is paid $34 an hour and would dearly love more hours. The building is only used for this purpose and was recently acquired for $300,000. Can't even imagine what the cost per book lent out is.

I am not in favour of curtailing library services, I am just saying ebooks are often less expensive instead of the massive rip-off they are perceived as.

Helen
Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My current local library is open on alternate Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and they lend about 3 books a week . . .
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in area code 212 anymore.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
The Joys and wonders of the Canadian Northern Territories where few taxes are paid but many are spent

Helen
Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Which is exactly the problem.

The world is not New York despite what New Yorkers and Publishers think.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Which is exactly the problem.

The world is not New York despite what New Yorkers and Publishers think.
Back in the early 80's, in the NINE NATIONS OF NORTHAMERICA book, NYC was flagged as an anomaly that stood apart from its region.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nin..._North_America

Unavoidable when you consider the NYC metro area has a larger population than many entire countries and (in the goold old days) a GDP to match. That creates a kind of echo chamber that breeds isolation. Thus the much joked about "civilization ends at the Hudson" attitude of Manhattanites in general and the NYC publishing culture in the specific.

The idea that people who don't live in a megapolis might have different needs and attitudes is a tough sell to that mindset. And when those folks have decision-making power over entire markets... Well, we've all see the results in the news.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Just like the Mobileread echo chamber...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Joys and wonders of the Canadian Northern Territories where few taxes are paid but many are spent

Helen

If I knew that, I would have said it this way, and gotten less guff from certain other posters:

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in GTA anymore.