Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #31
petejojohan
petejojohan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
DX should work the same way as K3, but you need a DX firmware image instead of K3. The different serial connector location and pinout is shown in Dev corner / master index / DX index.

Before the "simple debricking" method was developed for K4 and K5, the serial port was the ONLY way to debrick or flash kindle firmware backups (even for the K4 and K5).
Guess I should have read your post more closely. Thanks for the reference to the DX's serial port...
petejojohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #32
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejojohan View Post
The video shows that two ports are used for the Kindle Keyboard to unbrick it (the USB port and the port that powers the light). Do you know if the Kindle DX have two ports too? If not, can everything be done using just the USB port?
At this time, you need to use the USB port and the internal serial port. Some of the debricking functionality is only available at the serial port at this time.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #33
mikoff
mikoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejojohan View Post
Guess I should have read your post more closely. Thanks for the reference to the DX's serial port...
Did you test 3g modem in your Kindle? It works without problems?
mikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #34
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just curious, I never see a DX demo unit anywhere; many stores have K3, K4, KT. Which stores does Amazon choose to demo DX?
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #35
mikoff

Cool

Hey.
I have found some info about demo units.
May be someone find it helpful.
https://kindleretail.s3.amazonaws.co...le_DX_Demo.pdf
https://kindleretail.s3.amazonaws.co...board_Demo.pdf
Now i am waiting for USB-to-TTL converter to start tests.

Last edited by mikoff; 06-18-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #36
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Staples sold the DX for a while. I don't know if they still do or not.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #37
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In general (where I live) you can copy anything for your own use,
On what are you basing that?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Staples sold the DX for a while. I don't know if they still do or not.
Same for Microcenter.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #39
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
On what are you basing that?
In the USA, it is covered by the "Fair Use" doctrine, but it only applies to non-commercial personal use, and you cannot transfer or distribute your copy to others.

An example is the photocopy machine in public libraries. Another is the long-time tradition of making audio tape copies of music from a radio broadcast. Another example is time-shifting TV broadcasts for later viewing.

The USPTO says that copies of copyrighted materials can be sent to them under "Fair Use" when applying for for a patent, even though this is a commercial example: http://www.uspto.gov/about/offices/o...xamination.pdf

Also, Google indexes copyrighted materials found online, and Gogle books are also put online with (page count) limited access (and without permission), under "Fair Use".

So, even some forms of commercial "Fair Use" are allowed (but with less freedom than for personal use).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-18-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #40
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In the USA, it is covered by the "Fair Use" doctrine, but it only applies to non-commercial personal use, and you cannot transfer or distribute your copy to others.

An example is the photocopy machine in public libraries. Another is the long-time tradition of making audio tape copies of music from a radio broadcast. Another example is time-shifting TV broadcasts for later viewing.
Fair Use uses that as a factor, but it's far from a sure thing as I understand it.
Those other case have all been explicitly upheld in court but they have in common the fact that the source material was legal for you to use in the first place. I'm not sure if the reasoning applies to the firmware issue if you had no license to use the firmware in that way. Same as it's not fair use to rent a DVD and make a private copy (CSS circumvention aside). You may not get caught or sued, but that doesn't mean it's fair or legal.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #41
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Fair Use uses that as a factor, but it's far from a sure thing as I understand it.
Those other case have all been explicitly upheld in court but they have in common the fact that the source material was legal for you to use in the first place. I'm not sure if the reasoning applies to the firmware issue if you had no license to use the firmware in that way. Same as it's not fair use to rent a DVD and make a private copy (CSS circumvention aside). You may not get caught or sued, but that doesn't mean it's fair or legal.
As I mentioned in my older post, DMCA prevents decryption, but for unencrypted material it is generally accepted that you can make your OWN copies of just about anything for your OWN personal use. It is distribution that is illegal. You can photograph artwork and hang it on your wall. You can photocopy books and magazines for personal use. You can record TV programs for archival or later viewing. You can make copies of sculptures, tools, and other stuff (copyrighted or patented) for your own personal use. You just cannot SELL them (or legally give them away).

Of course, I made a general statement that "usually" applies, in my experience. But there are always exceptions... Consult your law professional before making a personal copy of anything, if in doubt.

You can borrow a library book and make a photocopy. If a DVD is not encrypted, you should be able to make a copy for later viewing of stuff you rented. I used to do that. I would rent VHS tapes and copy them for later viewing (without even watching them while I was copying them). In essence, I was "timeshifting" items that were rarely in stock, when they were available, until I could view them later. Some of them have STILL not been viewed after all these years. Because my Hi-8 VCR had built-in Time-Base Correction, I did not even have to "circumvent" the Macrovision protection (my copies still had the Macrovision encoding).

From what I have read, you can even COPY encrypted video streams (for your own personal use). You just cannot DECRYPT them. Whether it is considered legal or moral is a personal choice, and in the courtroom it is often decided based on INTENT. Personal use (small number of copies of a given material) is rarely considered "intent to distribute".

UPDATE: According to this document: http://www.law.umaryland.edu/academi...1_001_Band.pdf regarding commercial "Fair Use" it was argued that because Google only presented a low quality or partial copy to the public, it was okay that they made a high-quality copy for their own personal use (for search-engine image processing).

The people who have been "busted" for downloading music or movies using P2P software were prosecuted for DISTRIBUTING the shared music (while it was being downloaded). Copying them from an FTP server would not be a problem, except for the server owner who may get a takedown notice, and there would only be legal problems if they refused to comply. It is file SHARING that is illegal, despite false advertising from the media companies claiming that DOWNLOADING itself is illegal. Even copies of software (that you copied yourself) is not necessary illegal, but copies of CRACKED software is (DMCA circumvention rules). Whether or not it is MORAL is a different issue, subject to personal ethics and personal choice. Again, INTENT is what makes the difference.

Regarding FIRMWARE, I received verbal "it should be okay" permission from amazon techs to distribute copies of their firmware for "repair" purposes, but their legal department did not provide written permission (or denial) that I had requested. Whether our actions are legal or not, the amazon legal department IS aware of us, and as long as we do more good than harm, they are not likely to object to our usage. Just to be safe, we do NOT intentionally post direct links to firmware images anywhere on mobileread.

WARNING: The above text is not meant to be taken as legal advice, and may only apply to residents of the USA. Other legal jurisdictions may have different rules. If in doubt, consult a legal professional before making a personal copy of anything.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-18-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
mikoff

geekmaster, thank you for full answer.
It`s common practice - it`s ok to modify or make backup copies for your own use. For example, you can change firmware on your Xbox 360 drive and it`s 100% legal.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #43
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoff View Post
geekmaster, thank you for full answer.
It`s common practice - it`s ok to modify or make backup copies for your own use. For example, you can change firmware on your Xbox 360 drive and it`s 100% legal.
You are welcome. I used to study Constitutional Law as a "hobby", if you can imagine that. I still have a nice collection of law books.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #44
ApK

Quote:
]You can borrow a library book and make a photocopy.
If by that, you mean it's legal to make a full copy just so you can own it and read it, I'd love to see the proof of that.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You don't want to know how many books I photo copied in graduate school, for myself and for Profs who I was doing research for.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote