Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
whizbo
whizbo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Deleting from Library

Sometimes I want to reconvert a book, How do I get the old version
removed entirely from Calibre. Calibre asks if I want to add the book even though it is already in the program. If I say yes, it adds the book. What happens to the other book? How do I tell one version from another?
Hope this makes sense. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
whizbo
whizbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizbo View Post
Sometimes I want to reconvert a book, How do I get the old version removed entirely from Calibre. Calibre asks if I want to add the book even though it is already in the program. If I say yes, it adds the book. What happens to the other book? How do I tell one version from another?
Hope this makes sense. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
whizbo
Unfortunately, it didn't make sense to me.
Are you asking about converting to another format? The basic process is to start with a book in calibre, then convert it. You don't need to get an old version removed. It shouldn't be trying to "add" any book. What is the "other book" - the original format?

More info is needed to help you.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
More info is needed to help you.
Sent to me by PM Whizbo says:
Quote:
I will try to improve on what I am asking
If I change the configuration of a plugin, which is
supposed to work when a book is added, then I
add the S# of another device, I believe the book needs to be readded to get the plugin to redo the
process to make the action of the plugin used
on the device that has been added.
Hope this enlightens.
thanks
whizbo
It's still unclear to me, but perhaps someone else can help. What plugin are you referring to?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You can tell the new version by the date column plus it is at the top of the screen.

If you have the original file tweak enabled you don't have to re-add the book unless you purposely overwrite or delete the original file.

If the plugin? doesn't work remove the original book first maybe.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard

Helen, what plugin is he referring to?
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Excellent question, I am as confused as you are. There are only a few plugins that do any real processing to the book when the book is added to calibre.

All of the DRM removal plugins. Once the book is added if it can be read, there is no need to re-add the book to get those plugins to do anything a second time. If the book can't be read and the plugin was upgraded then the book may have to be re-added to the library.

The htmltozip plugin does do file encoding when the html is added and if something is wrong you may have to specify a new encoding in the plugin itself and re-add the book.

When I re-add a book, due to having to upgrade the drm plugin or changing the encoding in the htmltozip plugin, I open the edit metadata window, delete the format (zip, epub etc...) and drag the html (or other format) straight to the available formats section of the edit metadata window.

If the above doesn't cover what the OP is doing then we may have a problem with terminology.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't know hence the question mark after plugin.
Like Walt, I am thinking that it is the DRM plugin.

Hope the OP has it figured out
Helen
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
whizbo

plug in

You are correct, I am trying to use the DRM plugin removal. According to
alf's blog the only time the plug in works is when you first put the book
into Calibre. My question is if I add another reader to the plug in do I
have to reenter the book into Calibre or do I need to reconfigure the book that is already in calibre?
Thanks have been away a few days
Whizbo
Old 10-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard

You just convert the same book to the new reader format. No readding necessary.
Helen
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
whizbo

Thanks sorry to be so late and unknowing, just confused sometimes.
Whizbo
Old 10-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard

Me too