Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
parkerk
parkerk began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
E-Book reader optimized for PDF viewing - Need advice

Hello everyone.

I currently do not own an e-book reader, but I am looking to buy one for a specific purpose. I am currently studying for a standardized exam, for which I have PDF documents that cover the required material. There is thousands of pages of information and study questions, so I figured an e-book reader would be a great place to keep all of my PDF documents for viewing. I have read through many of the threads, and it seems that PDF viewing on many devices can be hit and miss. So I was hoping to get some very specific recommendations by providing a link to the type of PDF documents I will be encountering, and from there getting advice on the type of e-reader that will best handle my information.

Here is a link to the exact type of PDF that I will be encountering (forget the colors, I do not need to see those): http://www.becker.com/accounting/cpa...3%20Update.pdf

Here is some more for you to check out, if needed: https://beckerkb.custhelp.com/app/an...82TG1sa0w0aw==

There are really a few things that I am looking for out of my e-book reader:

1) The ability to easily navigate through the PDF's I load onto the deivce. None are DRM'd.

2) The ability to bookmark sections (so I can come back and review them later, or know where I have stopped reading).

4) Hopefully sufficient rendering of diagrams (I heard this can be weird).

3) And I was hoping to spend less than $200.

Please let me know your thoughts, as I am quite new to the e-book scene and I am in need of some guidance. Thank you in advance.
parkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
voidcaller
voidcaller began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd ed
IMHO you will need to wait for readers with A4 displays and open OS to hit the market. And then it will be wise to choose the simplest and cheapest one, since you will find all “New and Advanced” capabilities not working properly anyway.
I bought iRex iLiad 2nd ed a few years ago hoping to take easier advantage of the free 100GB+ collection electronic textbooks (KOLXO3 library). After 2-3 month of original joy over eInk display being nice on my eyes I had to switch back to laptop to navigate and search through my textbooks.
So far eReaders are only suited for "vacational reading" when you just turn the pages forward. While pictures could be resized without much loss, diagrams or tables are simply too painfull to read on a small screen.
And for plain-texted books I read now, even a simple Sony Reader 300 is sufficient. I switched to it after an official OS update bricked my iRex conflicting with 3-rd party software that worked fine before update.
voidcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Other than the price point. My iPad renders your PDF in all it's glory. I can annotate , highlight and bookmark and all in full color. $200 is going to be tough. I have also used a kindle dx which is really nice. If ire was still floating around I might recommend an 800 Although that may be an option on the gray market
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
StevieJStarkey
StevieJStarkey began at the beginning.

Device: none
I feel I have the same needs as parkerk. At work I have a lot of technical documentation to read in pdf (don't really need any color, usually not that much graphics). Another requirement that I have and that parkerk will probably also have is fast navigation to a specific part:
- jump at once to the right page from the table of content
- look for a certain keyword in the whole PDF
- easily flip the pages "fast" (quite often I find myself going back a few pages to re-read a paragraph or check something) and possibly several at a time (like by 10 or 50)

The iPad is probably great (big screen, it's a real laptop so you can do a lot more than just displaying books) but like a lot of people I really prefer reading things on paper (I already spend my whole day in front of my screen), that's why I'm interesting in an e-ink reader.
StevieJStarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
confused, guidance, help choice