Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 AM   #16
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
With Sony's [URL="https://www.mobileread.com
There is a channel available to get notified when the mysterious "update solution" is ready: send an e-mail to [email]feedback@ebookstore.sony.com[/email] with “500” in the subject line -- that is supposed to add you to a list to be notified.

I've already sent my own request.

Who's with me?
I am, although I saw this thread a little late, i.e. yesterday.
Should you receive a confirmation for your subscription? I didn't get one yet.
I'm pushing my thumbs to blue to make this wonder happen

Is there an update from Sony yet?

Greetings,
hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think I ever got a confirmation, hansl, though I've slept since then, so ....

The sense I have of it is that we're likely not to hear anything until closer to the switchover to epub format, which Iis supposed to be close to the end of the year. I wouldn't worry unless we haven't heard anything else by late November/early December.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
This is pretty horrible news. I have about 400 LRFs, so I really hope there is some way to convert them.

Are we going to get an update so that EPUBs look like LRFs look now (i.e. the formatting)?
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #19
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Superlucky--You'll be able to continue reading your LRFs on your reader. Sony isn't going to remove the ability to read LRFs from their current line of readers. And from what I've read it seems like you'll be able to re-download any books you've purchased from the Sony store in ePub format after the conversion.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #20
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Superlucky--You'll be able to continue reading your LRFs on your reader. Sony isn't going to remove the ability to read LRFs from their current line of readers. And from what I've read it seems like you'll be able to re-download any books you've purchased from the Sony store in ePub format after the conversion.
Thanks, that's very good to know. I just worry about what happens when the next generation devices come out. I'm afraid I'll feel like everyone who has MiniDiscs and VideoCDs. The real losers in format wars are the consumers who choose poorly. I guess it's the price you pay to be on the cutting edge!
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
With Sony's recent announcement that they are going to go all ePub in their store, those of us (like me) who still use our beloved PRS500s may be feeling a bit left out.

Sony has said that they're working on an "update solution" for our venerable 500s, but no details thus far have been forthcoming.

I've got kind of a detail for you ... maybe half a detail. No, I still have no word on whether they've figured out a firmware fix or are planing a trade in, but I do have news about timing. Word is that they plan to have the "update solution" ready by the end of the year, when they switch the store over to all ePub.

There is a channel available to get notified when the mysterious "update solution" is ready: send an e-mail to feedback@ebookstore.sony.com with “500” in the subject line -- that is supposed to add you to a list to be notified.

I've already sent my own request.

Who's with me?
I'm with you NatCh - request sent a while ago now! - those instructions regarding the e-mail are in my signature and I believe all PRS-500 owners should follow the same example!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #22
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem witht he 500 is that if Sony does decide to do a firmware update, you will lose LRF/LRX as the ROM in the 500 is not large enough to handle both. it would have to be a one or the other solution.
I simply do not believe that. - It is unsubstantiated at any rate.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #23
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
This is pretty horrible news. I have about 400 LRFs, so I really hope there is some way to convert them.

Are we going to get an update so that EPUBs look like LRFs look now (i.e. the formatting)?
Maybe Kovid could help us.. (not with LRX's one would think though, just LRF's)
Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #24
AprilHare
Wizard

I personally believe the more people who register for the PRS-500 information, the more Sony will take the call for a firmware upgrade seriously. Therefore, the more people who write in, the better! Could someone please make this a sticky post?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #25
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem witht he 500 is that if Sony does decide to do a firmware update, you will lose LRF/LRX as the ROM in the 500 is not large enough to handle both. it would have to be a one or the other solution.
Source? Or is this just another "opinion"?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #26
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Thanks for the response. I stopped worrying until mid December :-)
hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #27
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think I ever got a confirmation, hansl, though I've slept since then, so ....

The sense I have of it is that we're likely not to hear anything until closer to the switchover to epub format, which Iis supposed to be close to the end of the year. I wouldn't worry unless we haven't heard anything else by late November/early December.
A few more weeks now, by that rationale.

Tags
epub, prs500, update solution