Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Preference for Full Justification, How to?

In using beta 0.6 version, in converting from txt to mobi, how do I format for full justification? I see no option for this in the Preferences.
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mobipocket software lets the reader choose ragged right or full justification, provided it isn't forced in the HTML. So such an option isn't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
In using beta 0.6 version, in converting from txt to mobi, how do I format for full justification? I see no option for this in the Preferences.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Mobipocket software lets the reader choose ragged right or full justification, provided it isn't forced in the HTML. So such an option isn't needed.
Thanks for your response, but I'm not certain I understand what, if anything, I can do. I'm converting Gutenberg txt to Mobi, but the justification comes out ragged right, as you put it. In which software or application, if not Calibre, do I make a choice for full justification?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In the Look & Feel section there is an option to control text justification. (In the current beta it is greyed out for conversion to MOBI, but that will be changed in the next beta).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, as far as I know, the Kindle renderer doesn't allow you to do this and since the Kindle is pretty much the only major MOBI reading platform left...
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Unfortunately, as far as I know, the Kindle renderer doesn't allow you to do this and since the Kindle is pretty much the only major MOBI reading platform left...
It turns out this is a hidden option on the font menu, or so I'm told. See

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/h...shell-and.html

for details and lots more.

But apparently the default is for justified, so unless Calibre is adding in explicit left justification, converted files should show up justified.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
There is the Gen3 and the iRex 1000DR as well as the Kindle line. But the Gen3 I think is moving to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:

But apparently the default is for justified, so unless Calibre is adding in explicit left justification, converted files should show up justified.
Only works on Kindle 1.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:

IIRC, calibre doesn't add justification, but it doesn't remove it either, so if your original source file specifies justification, that will be respected in the output file. The --dont-justify option sets the overall justification for the whole document, but if individual elements in the source file specify their own justification, that is what will be used in the MOBI file for those elements.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
In the Look & Feel section there is an option to control text justification. (In the current beta it is greyed out for conversion to MOBI, but that will be changed in the next beta).
The only justification option that I can see in the Look & Feel section is for "No text justification." Is that what you're referring to? Otherwise, I see no "greyed out" matter.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
IIRC, calibre doesn't add justification, but it doesn't remove it either, so if your original source file specifies justification, that will be respected in the output file. The --dont-justify option sets the overall justification for the whole document, but if individual elements in the source file specify their own justification, that is what will be used in the MOBI file for those elements.
I regret that our postings are getting a little crossed, i.e., I'm one behind. Sorry for any confusion. Anyway, as I understand it from what you say, if my Gutenberg txt file is only justified on the left, I'm stuck with it. I can't effect a full justification through Calibre, as Calibre lets the justification of the originating document remain as it is. Pity. Thanks anyway.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes make sure no text justification is unchecked. And as for converting txt files, txt files are not left justified, so converting tem to MOBI (in the next beta and provided you have no text justification unchecked) should result in a justified MOBI file
Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Yes make sure no text justification is unchecked. And as for converting txt files, txt files are not left justified, so converting tem to MOBI (in the next beta and provided you have no text justification unchecked) should result in a justified MOBI file
Thanks. That's good news (assuming you mean that I'll be able to achieve FULL Mobi justification in the next beta). I'll just wait (eagerly) and convert my latest Gurenberg txt files then. Thanks again for the great work -- and product.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Thanks. That's good news (assuming you mean that I'll be able to achieve FULL Mobi justification in the next beta). I'll just wait (eagerly) and convert my latest Gurenberg txt files then. Thanks again for the great work -- and product.
I downloaded and installed the new beta today and conversion to the Mobipocket format from Gutenberg txt files gratifyingly provides full justification automatically. Many thanks.