Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #286
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
The Myster of PageRank

Why are people so interested in Google's PageRank value? It means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with respect to a site's quality or content.

PageRank means one thing: Sites link to you. That's it, that's all it means.

Just because a site links to you, doesn't mean your site has any value at all. With the advent of "paid links" and "purchased traffic", the whole meaning of PageRank is diminished.

Frankly, I'm glad that Google has been considering getting rid of PageRank altogether anyway. The notion of backlinks used to have some meaning, but now (like all abuses of the system), it has been overrun by irrelevant, unrelated links.

SEO 2.0 is where everything is heading, and where it should have headed to begin with. Forget optimizing meta tags (note: I've written a tool to do exactly that), forget focusing on backlinks, paid traffic or affiliate programs.

The only way a site continues to be successful and thrive, is through its content. Quality content, brings quality users, who will either return, or link to your site as "authoritative" in its niche.

Or not.

But you have to keep focusing on it. Marketing your niche is a full-time job. You can't just throw a site out there with AdSense ads and walk away, and expect to just cash the checks every month. You need to constantly tweak, rewrite, add/modify, and encourage people to go to the site for the content you have on it.

SEO 2.0 is about organic page relevance. The search engines are getting smarter, and they're now able to analyze trends in the users and the traffic.

They no longer care how many backlinks you have (one of the sites I run has over 23k backlinks and is a PR7), they don't care what your meta tags say, they care what users are visiting your site, at what frequency, and how often they come back, and from what sites they're coming from.

Focus on content, because content is king.

Market your niche, and bring in users, and let those users advertise for you. This is no different than being in the real world selling products. You're selling your site to visitors. It is no different.

PageRank, while a neat way to say "My PR is bigger than your PR", means nothing, if you don't know how to turn that PR into something useful by marketing to those people who link to you, and marketing to the users who sit behind those backlink sites.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #287
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Some people use PR to determine how much they can ask for a link from their site. I think it was recently that Google penalized a lot of sites, including prominent ones, for selling text links.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #288
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think this thread is just silly and has no real purpose.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #289
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think this thread is just silly and has no real purpose.
Jon, I think it used to have a purpose. If my memory serves me right, this was the first place the algorithm for querying the Google Pagerank was publicly revealed. From there on, all of today's pagerank checker tools emerged.

But I agree with you guys... Pagerank is a relict of the past (when Google was still a lab project).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #290
hm2k
hm2k began at the beginning.

If PageRank was pointless/worthless google wouldn't include it on their toolbar would they? *grin*

PageRank is a result of their algorithm, it's as much a part of Google as the serps. Created by Larry Page, one of the founders of Google. (hence the name? heh), it's not going anywhere.

However, in a way "hacker" is correct, pagerank is purely a webmaster tool.

All you need to really do is focus on your content, and backlinks.
Do NOT focus on PR, because it will get you nowhere fast.

Content is king - get that right, and the rest will follow.

Backlinks are key - why do you think google used to be called backrub? google is built around backlinks.

Enjoy!

Last edited by hm2k; 11-30-2007 at 05:23 AM.
hm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #291
Ohwada
Ohwada began at the beginning.

Device: docomo
sorry. double post. same as #292

Last edited by Ohwada; 02-16-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Ohwada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #292
Ohwada
Ohwada began at the beginning.

Device: docomo
PHP class

Thank you for useful program.

I rewrite to PHP class.
and show green bar same as "Google Toolbar".

demonstration
http://linux.ohwada.jp/demo/google_pagerank/

source code
https://sourceforge.jp/projects/xoop...id=29337#29337
Ohwada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 AM   #293
AboutSledge
AboutSledge began at the beginning.

Checksum Algorithem Update

http://home.zhiwei.li/pagerank/
(in PHP and Python)

Algorithm for Firefox is easy, for IE is terrible
AboutSledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #294
pigreek
pigreek began at the beginning.

Device: none
Java??

I tried to get the correct hash number in java but I use an old program that does not work with long url. (http://www.webmasterwords.com/pagerank-checksum-in-java)
Have anyone a java implementation of hash calculus?

Thnaks
pigreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #295
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigreek View Post
I tried to get the correct hash number in java but I use an old program that does not work with long url. (http://www.webmasterwords.com/pagerank-checksum-in-java)
Have anyone a java implementation of hash calculus?

Thnaks
Forget PageRank; focusing on it is pointless and it has become an irrelevant measure of ranking your website's "quality" in current times. It served its purpose when it was created, but that purpose is no longer needed now.

Move past it now, everyone else has.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #296
hm2k
hm2k began at the beginning.

Updated with latest code:

http://pagerankviewer.com/
hm2k is offline   Reply With Quote