Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The new PaperWhite snuck out! Incremental update

The Verge has the story about the accidental upload from Amazon.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/468...0-availability

EDIT: apparently Engadget had it too and the story is linked in the "Kindle sold out" poll.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yep the person who spotted it posted it here in the Kindle forum too: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221581
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It does not appear to be merely incremental.
The text in the since-deleted product page sounds like they are using the next-gen Pearl screens eInk has been talking about recently.
"New display technology" and "whiter whites and blacker blacks" is what the new screens are supposed to bring, along with faster refresh.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still no page turn buttons though.

I am going to have to give in and just not read in bed after I've used my hand cream.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

I am going to have to give in and just not read in bed after I've used my hand cream.

I have this issue and I use my knuckle to turn the pages (it only takes a slight tap, on the paperwhite) after using hand cream. If that doesn't work out, perhaps a stylus?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Why are you so hung up on this?

I think Amazon will never re-introduce a reader that has touch AND page turn buttons; I actually think this will be true for most manufacturers. Why don't you just de-DRM your Amazon e-books, and then go look for a reader that does have what you want? It'd be much easier than keep waiting for something that probably will never happen (at least, at Amazon).

With regard to the New Paperwhite: Meh. As I predicted in my own poll; goodreads integration, and some small incremental upgrades. If one does not have a Paperwhite it seems a fine reader, but I'm going to skip this one.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Get the Kindle with buttons. Granted, it isn't paper white nor does it have a light... but, it does have buttons.

Which is more important to you?

Or, don't put your hand cream on until after you are done reading.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh... and I doubt that uploads such as these are "accidental".

It happens far too frequently, and far too much on the exact time. Amazon just isn't completely ready to introduce their new reader, but they have to show they have one *now*, because of Kobo and Sony.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
The wifi Paperwhite seems to be gone from the UK store again now.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Oh... and I doubt that uploads such as these are "accidental".
I disagree. Please see my sig.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I disagree. Please see my sig.

BOb
LOL. If that would be the case, then many large companies have some employees that are conveniently and temporarily incompetent at exactly the right time.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

I prefer turning pages with the side page turn buttons over anything else, that's all!

I'm happy to de-DRM my books (I own a Kindle & a Sony reader and read my books on both), but I don't want to pay approximately £50 more for an ereader that has page turn buttons but isn't quite as good as the new Paperwhite or new Kobo Aura, and has to be imported. I had hoped the new Sony would be the answer, but it's not.

You are probably right Katsunami, most manufacturers are probably not going to bother.

I like elemenoP's solution though, so I might just upgrade anyway. Now just to decide between the Aura and the Paperwhite (I'm not too fussed about it possibly just being an incremental update, I've deliberately waited for the second batch of lighted readers in the hope that the improved screen quality/lighting will be worth it).
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
It's enough for me to upgrade, I wonder if the existing covers still fit? The add doesn't mention a change in size.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Or maybe get some latex "reading gloves".
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why are you so hung up on this?

Why don't you just de-DRM your Amazon e-books, and then go look for a reader that does have what you want? It'd be much easier than keep waiting for something that probably will never happen (at least, at Amazon).
It seems he/she already does have a Kindle 3, which has nothing to do with expressing a desire for physical page turn buttons without compromising some of the newer niceties like paperwhite/illumination.

I would also like to see them add physical pageturn buttons to the Paperwhite. I don't even need physical menu buttons, etc..just the physical buttons directly under where I naturally place my thumbs. The subtle tensing of a thumb resulting in mind-control-like effortless pageturning is one of the wonderful things about my Kindle. I don't see why they can't just add them to have them there as an option for the people who want them (as does the Nook touchscreen, iirc). I can't imagine their presence would affect the form factor much, if at all.

That said, it's not a huge deal. I'll probably pick up a new Paperwhite someday and adjust.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote