Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #76
Oleks Bas
Oleks Bas began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Do you have plans to add support for embedded fonts and full styling CSS of epub, Jim?
Oleks Bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #77
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleks Bas View Post
Do you have plans to add support for embedded fonts and full styling CSS of epub, Jim?
These are part of my long-term objectives for the program. The 'Full CSS' styling is quite a complicated thing to achieve, and that is why I have not done it yet

Also, I note that there is not a lot of demand for it - by which I mean that there are various other popular epub reading programs for Windows Phone that produce much worse formatting than Freda (basically they just strip out all markup and format the book as plain text). And these other programs remain popular in spite of the fact that they don't do a good job of epub formatting.

As for font embedding, this is actually really hard to achieve in Windows Phone 7. I think the situation is different in Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, so the Freda versions for those platforms will probably support embedded fonts at some point in the future.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #78
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I just noticed that the empty lines are stripped in my book.

The option to strip empty lines is off.

My empty lines are made by using "<p><br />&nbsp;</p>"
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #79
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I just noticed that the empty lines are stripped in my book.
I will look into what is happening (sorry for the long delay in answering - I have been very occupied with preparing the app for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, and have not had time to look at functionality issues).
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #80
Jim Chapman
Addict

Freda Development Roadmap Update

Folks, I just thought I might offer a quick update on where Freda development stands, across Windows Phone 8 (WP8) and Windows 8 (W8). So:

Right now, I am working on debugging some issues with Freda for WP8 (the XNA renderer goes strangely wrong when you launch from a pinned secondary tile, and the DropBox file browser fails on filenames containing some special characters, such as brackets). A bug-fix release for those issues will appear in the next week or so.

So, across WP8 and W8, the development roadmap looks roughly like:
Next week: W8 version 3.2, adding bookmarking/annotating/selecting of text, deleting books and book sources, custom OPDS book sources, pinning of books to start menu, and a bunch of UI improvements ...
Next week or two: WP8 bug-fix version 2.9, for secondary tile and DropBox issues
Within the next month or so: W8 version 3.3, adding all remaining WP features to the W8 program (backup/restore, dictionary lookup, define presets ... )
Some time early 2013 probably: W8 version back-ported to WP8, which will bring both versions onto the same code-line (and, crucially, the same underlying database, SQLite). At this point, the WP8 version will be a real native WP8 app (so it will support all screen resolutions properly, and will allow you to register Freda as the app for opening EPUB and FB2 file types).
Not very long after that: Features for selectively synching across all devices you're using, covering: settings/presets, bookshelf (including last read location), book source details. It will be based on using special SkyDrive files and folders.
Longer term: Features for sharing book lists, annotations etc. ('book club' use cases) - using an Azure cloud solution, if I can figure out a way to pay for it.
As and when I can: Fixing assorted bugs and formatting concerns (line spacing and margin issues, the proper handling of PRE and CODE elements, broken image path logic, clean management of the choice between 'block' and 'indent' paragraph layout ... )

All this, approximate though it is, is subject to some variation, dependent upon the vagaries of the Microsoft certification process, and the competing demands of my day job.

If you have questions or any other suggestions, feel free to contact me at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk
Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #81
wobohohoho
wobohohoho began at the beginning.

Device: Freda (WP 7.8) EPUB reader app
Is there a download limit on epub file sizes, as on my WP 7.5 Samsung Focus, the app seems to crash if the file sizes are over 100 MB? Also are the downloads non-resumable if they are interrupted, like exiting the app?
wobohohoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #82
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobohohoho View Post
Is there a download limit on epub file sizes, as on my WP 7.5 Samsung Focus, the app seems to crash if the file sizes are over 100 MB?
No hard limit as such - but large downloads will be a problem (with Freda, or with any app) since there is a high risk of the network link getting interrupted or timed out, especially if you're using mobile internet. For best results when downloading large files, connect using WiFi and download the file from SkyDrive.
Also bear in mind the risk of running out of space on the phone. Freda doesn't check whether the phone has enough free space to download and open a book (actually, this is something that is rather difficult to do on Windows Phone 7), and if space runs out, the book just won't open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobohohoho View Post
Also are the downloads non-resumable if they are interrupted, like exiting the app?
Downloads are not resumable. If you exit the app, downloads will stop. You'll see stopped downloads listed on the bookshelf, and if you want to retry them you need to long-tap and select 'download again'.

All these behaviours are likely to change in the future, with the Windows Phone 8 version of Freda. I'm aiming to get rid of most of Freda's download-management features (so I can focus on the book-reading features!). That should be possible because all I need to do is to register Freda as an app for opening EPUB and FB2 file types, and then it is up to the user to decide how to get the file onto the phone. We'll see how that works out ...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #83
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
No hard limit as such - but large downloads will be a problem (with Freda, or with any app) since there is a high risk of the network link getting interrupted or timed out, especially if you're using mobile internet. For best results when downloading large files, connect using WiFi and download the file from SkyDrive.
Also bear in mind the risk of running out of space on the phone. Freda doesn't check whether the phone has enough free space to download and open a book (actually, this is something that is rather difficult to do on Windows Phone 7), and if space runs out, the book just won't open.

Downloads are not resumable. If you exit the app, downloads will stop. You'll see stopped downloads listed on the bookshelf, and if you want to retry them you need to long-tap and select 'download again'.

All these behaviours are likely to change in the future, with the Windows Phone 8 version of Freda. I'm aiming to get rid of most of Freda's download-management features (so I can focus on the book-reading features!). That should be possible because all I need to do is to register Freda as an app for opening EPUB and FB2 file types, and then it is up to the user to decide how to get the file onto the phone. We'll see how that works out ...
But ... but ... OPDS support! Yes, I know, I could just browse calibre's web page in IE, but I much prefer OPDS over that. I'll survive if it goes away, but I'd prefer if it wouldn't.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #84
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
But ... but ... OPDS support! Yes, I know, I could just browse calibre's web page in IE, but I much prefer OPDS over that. I'll survive if it goes away, but I'd prefer if it wouldn't.
Fair point. I will certainly maintain support for the Calibre OPDS catalog (the code for Digest Authentication is stable, and Microsoft are not , so far, producing any breaking changes to the APIs it needs). But the features for downloading books from websites (and more generally, sources requiring the use of cookies to handle sessions and authentication) are a right pain to maintain - Microsoft keep changing the APIs and besides their cookie-management APIs don't actually work.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #85
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Fair point. I will certainly maintain support for the Calibre OPDS catalog (the code for Digest Authentication is stable, and Microsoft are not , so far, producing any breaking changes to the APIs it needs). But the features for downloading books from websites (and more generally, sources requiring the use of cookies to handle sessions and authentication) are a right pain to maintain - Microsoft keep changing the APIs and besides their cookie-management APIs don't actually work.
Does the latter part about cookies and APIs apply to dropbox and skydrive support? I'd think anything that works through a standard (or de facto standard) like oauth or passport would be stable enough to keep in. On the other hand, I'm 100% OPDS, so I'd be okay with dropbox and skydrive support going away.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #86
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Does the latter part about cookies and APIs apply to dropbox and skydrive support? I'd think anything that works through a standard (or de facto standard) like oauth or passport would be stable enough to keep in. On the other hand, I'm 100% OPDS, so I'd be okay with dropbox and skydrive support going away.
Interestingly enough, SkyDrive authentication doesn't work if you try to do it using the regular web APIs (there is an issue with the format of cookies that it uses) - but Microsoft provides special-purpose APIs for SkyDrive that do get the job done and only crash occasionally. DropBox oAuth works fine because its keys, nonces, etc. are limited to a restricted character set; other oAuth implementations might not be so fortunate. I will certainly keep DropBox support; SkyDrive might be dropped, if its stability doesn't improve in Windows Phone 8.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #87
Jim Chapman
Addict

I think I'd better offer an update on the development roadmap for the next few months, as it has changed somewhat - firstly because my day job (telling an investment bank what technology to spend its money on) has been busy these last few weeks, and secondly because I had a lot of users asking for the 'highlight text' feature in W8.

So, across WP8 and W8, the development roadmap looks roughly like:

Next week: W8 version 3.4, adding selection/highlighting of blocks of text, a 'copy' button and improved handling of CODE/PRE blocks (book text that must be shown in a fixed-width font).
Within the next few weeks or so: W8 version 3.5, adding all remaining WP features to the W8 program (backup/restore, dictionary lookup, define presets ... ). Also I will spend more time on improving the range of 'text sharpness' options.
Some time in April probably: W8 version back-ported to WP8, which will bring both versions onto the same code-line (and, crucially, the same underlying database, SQLite). At this point, the WP8 version will be a real native WP8 app (so it will support all screen resolutions properly, and will allow you to register Freda as the app for opening EPUB and FB2 file types).
Not very long after that: Features for selectively synching across all devices you're using, covering: settings/presets, bookshelf (including last read location), book source details. It will be based on using special SkyDrive files and folders.
Longer term: Features for sharing book lists, annotations etc. ('book club' use cases) - using an Azure cloud solution, if I can figure out a way to pay for it.
As and when I can: Fixing assorted bugs and formatting concerns (line spacing and margin issues, broken image path logic, clean management of the choice between 'block' and 'indent' paragraph layout ... )
Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #88
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Hi Jim -- I just bought my first Windows phone (Windows 8), and immediately installed Freda. (I've been using it for years on my WM6 PDA.) I'm having trouble getting the Calibre access to work. I've applied the correct URL for viewing the Calibre catalogue, and for one brief moment I actually saw the library listing. But after downloading one book, I've not been able to get back to the library. The URL appears correct, and if I do a search for a specific title, it finds the title for me. (Or did. But now I can't repeat that, either.)

I've verified that the Calibre server is working, by testing it from Aldiko on my Android tablet. Could it be a permissions thing on my home wifi network? I'm stumped.

Jeff
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #89
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Also, I see that the Windows Phone shows up in Calibre via USB. If I copy books to the phone from Calibre, how do I get them onto my Freda bookshelf? I'm used to the Library> Add Books function, but I don't see that here.

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #90
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Could it be a permissions thing on my home wifi network?
This symptom 'it works initially but then does not work' is very odd. Just to eliminate the 'obvious' issues, can I ask you to look over the instructions at http://www.turnipsoft.co.uk/freda/calibre-how-to.htm . Perhaps the most essential is the point in step 9 where you ensure the phone is definitely connecting via WiFi (by turning off the mobile data network).

If after going through that checklist, you're still having issues, please post again (or email jim@turnipsoft.co.uk).