Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I'm going to go out on a limb here...

And state that the leather softcover case is NO protection against broken screens. After the disaster I experienced early on with my first Cybook Gen3, I found a nice case and used it. Later, when I bought my EB-100, I bought two Cybook leather softcover cases - and I used them on my Cybook Gen3 and my EB-100 RELIGIOUSLY! I relegated my Cybook to my mother who only reads for an hour or so in the evening and doesn't carry the Cybook around. The EB-100 became my *main* reading device. I carried it - in it's softcover case - everywhere I went. And I used my EB-100 for 8-10 hours per day. When carrying it, I would hold it like a book, spine of the case nestled in the valley between my fingers and thumb, thumb and fingers grasping the center of the case - just like I'd carry a similar-sized book.

And I never took it out of the case for reading; I'd just flip the cover back and cradle it in my right hand so that the navigation control fell under my thumb.

Yesterday, I picked the EB-100 up with my left hand, flipped it open, pressed the on/off switch with my right and transferred it to my right hand as it booted up. When the library came up, I selected the book I wanted and adjusted my grip a bit - and the screen snapped. I was watching as it happened. I could see the cracks spring across the screen.

I don't have a death-grip. In fact, I tend to hold it a bit loosely, cradling more than gripping. But clearly the constant pressure I put on it - in it's case - while carrying it around throughout the day, put enough long-term stress on it to cause the screen to break.

I'm thinking that we're going to be seeing more screen breakage as other devices endure the accumulated stress from shorter-duration reading and portage. Probably won't happen for a year or so, but I think it'll happen with a higher percentage than what we've already seen.

I think this is because the Netronix case is much thinner and less supportive than other designs.

Only time will tell.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry to hear about your breakage, Derek.

Have to disagree with you about the case providing "no protection", I'm afraid. It's well padded and does, I think, provide pretty good protection against falls.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry to hear about your breakage, Derek.

Have to disagree with you about the case providing "no protection", I'm afraid. It's well padded and does, I think, provide pretty good protection against falls.
Not *saying* it provides no protection against falls. I'm saying it provides no protection against stresses from holding it. See photo.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMyCarryHold.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	15243  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even in your photo, though, Derek, you can see that your thumb is making a large indentation in the padding. That's spreading the pressure over a much larger area of the screen (hence lower pressure per unit area) than it would be without the case, don't you think?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Even in your photo, though, Derek, you can see that your thumb is making a large indentation in the padding. That's spreading the pressure over a much larger area of the screen (hence lower pressure per unit area) than it would be without the case, don't you think?
Sure. I agree, but I don't think, with the thin and - compared to Kindles and Sonys - flexible case, that it provides *enough* protection. And I think we'll see this to be the case as more and more users approach the 1-year and 2-year ownership mark.

Derek
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Time will tell, of course. I'm happy with the case myself, but obviously I might feel differently if I'd experienced broken screens as you have!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Is the display face real glass? Glass can be under stress from various sources (temperature changes, etc.) for long periods and then break for no apparent reason. Could this be happening to the displays? Some may be more stressed than others during manufacturing and shipping, let alone usage.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The outer screen is quite thick plastic. There's a very thin layer of glass under that - the screen substrate. That's what breaks.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I like withthe Sony case is that it does not sit flush against the screen So when I pick up the 505 is that it has some give for me to grip it via the case. I don't know if ti was that way when it was new. It may have become that way over time using it.

Derek do you thinkt he screen cracking is due to too much pressure on the sides of the unit and not to the screen directly? If so, then the plastic really needs to be replaced with metal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I like withthe Sony case is that it does not sit flush against the screen
Nor does the Gen3's case, Jon. The case is a "sleeve" which the Gen3 slides into, with a cutout for the screen, and the outer cover folds over that, with a rigid backing, so the thickness of the sleeve material (about 2-3mm) separates the case from the screen. You have to press the case pretty hard to make the backing of the outer cover come into contact with the screen.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
I obviously dont know the specifics behind the tech in the glass for the devices.

BUT, do you think if they made it a tempered glass that might make a difference?

I know that the main difference for tempered is that it doesnt spliter, it breaks into cubes.

but doesnt the process also make it stronger?

either that or maybe they need to go to a slightly heavier piece of glass underneath
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Bookeen don't make the screens - they are a standard component made by PVI in Taiwan and are identical between the Gen3, the Sony PRS-505, the Amazon Kindle, the Hanlin V3, etc etc etc. All use the same screen.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
I obviously dont know the specifics behind the tech in the glass for the devices.

BUT, do you think if they made it a tempered glass that might make a difference?

I know that the main difference for tempered is that it doesnt spliter, it breaks into cubes.

but doesnt the process also make it stronger?

either that or maybe they need to go to a slightly heavier piece of glass underneath
I deal with a lot of tempered glass every day (the cats' bowls are all made out of the stuff) .... and sometimes one will shatter for no particular reason from the lightest of taps. So .... I would hesitate to say that tempering makes it stronger ... or if it does, then I just keep getting batches of exploding cat bowls.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I deal with a lot of tempered glass every day (the cats' bowls are all made out of the stuff) .... and sometimes one will shatter for no particular reason from the lightest of taps. So .... I would hesitate to say that tempering makes it stronger ... or if it does, then I just keep getting batches of exploding cat bowls.
Having held the Kindle, PRS500/505, Netronix and Cybook, I'm going to go out on a limb even further and say that the case of the Netronix/Cybook models are too thin and there's too much chance of 'flex'. And the motherboard and screen board are affixed together too firmly which, IN MY OPINION, allow the substrate glass to receive far too much stress in these 'flex' situations. Yes, I have cracked open both a Cybook and an EB-100 and they're exactly the same when it comes to the hardware and hardware mounting points.

Derek
Old 08-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Now that I have a Kindle - and I really need to update my profile - I'm definitely agreeing with this. The sides of my Cybook case were never 100% - flush, I guess, is the word I want to use. There's a tiny separation, it's not a single unit. Everything on the Kindle is much tighter and the plastic is sturdier and less fragile.

I do love the slimness of the Cybook, as well as the overall simplicity of the look. But while I'm not glad mine broke, I'm glad I opted to go for a Kindle to replace it.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote