Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
Change Home screen seeting without registering possible?

Hi,

I don't what to register my kindle just to turn off the home screen. As reported the change would stay even after de registering the Kindle again.

With this info it should be possible to set that flag if the kindle is jailbroken even without ever registering the Kindle. The question is do we know where this settings is stored?

If yes we could create a Kual extension to change it.

Any idea about the settings file?

Regards
Hanspeter
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I don't know about that, but you can fake register

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=22
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't properly register, you cannot buy any eBooks from Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:06 AM   #4
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you don't properly register, you cannot buy any eBooks from Amazon.
I know that. As I mainly read free ebooks from the Gutenberg project or books I can buy without DRM this is not a problem for me.

Thanks for the hint anyway. I just do not what to risk that any firmware update happen as soon as I connect to wifi
Old 05-16-2021, 05:06 AM   #5
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't know about that, but you can fake register

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=22
Thanks will take a look
Advert
Old 05-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanspeter View Post
I know that. As I mainly read free ebooks from the Gutenberg project or books I can buy without DRM this is not a problem for me.

Thanks for the hint anyway. I just do not what to risk that any firmware update happen as soon as I connect to wifi
I've connected to WiFi a number of times with my PW3 and I've never had it update the firmware. I bet I can turn on the WiFi now and it would not update.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I've connected to WiFi a number of times with my PW3 and I've never had it update the firmware. I bet I can turn on the WiFi now and it would not update.
Many people have had their kindles update immediately after connecting to wifi.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:57 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Many people have had their kindles update immediately after connecting to wifi.
The only way I know of that happening is if the firmware is rather old.

Is there a way to get the firmware to update when WiFi is on when it's not that old?
Old 05-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #9
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
The only way I know of that happening is if the firmware is rather old.

Is there a way to get the firmware to update when WiFi is on when it's not that old?
If you check the thread about the creation of the latest jailbreak. The developer tested to block the updates. The next version started downloading directly after wifi connection even if he was only on version older in the second place.

Look like they made it more aggressive to be sure the fix for that bug we use is delivered fast ... (only my guess)
Old 05-17-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

I made a small Kual extension to create a fake registration: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=125