Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
llurgy
llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lindle
New member but not new ereader

Hi all,
Thought that I would join seeing as I spend a lot of time reading on here and am getting fed up of seeing the big message about registering on every page

I have a Kindle 1 and have had it since April 2008.

I am trawling the ereader section of the site at the moment because I am considering getting my 13 year old daught an ereader too.

Be seeing you

Mandy
llurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Welcome Mandy
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Welcome to the forums. Your daughter is a lucky kid.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
llurgy
llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the weocome.

Daughter is not a lucky kid until she gets an ebook reader in her grubby little hands.

Actually our daughter has a disease that limits her day to day activities, she has really low oxygens which make it impossible for her to run and play like other kids. So thinks like playstation/xbox/tv/Nintendo etc are the only things she can actually "PLAY" at?!?!

She has just gotten into books so I am hoping that I can encourage the reading a little more with an ereader.....Me am a sneaky mother
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Mandy, Welcome !

Best wishes to you and your daughter. I think you will find that another benefit of a ereader for your daughter is that she will no longer be subjected to dusts, molds and other fragrances often found in books.

Plenty of content available... even for a 13 year old.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Mandy!

My heart goes out to your daughter. Hopefully, though, reading will help to open her world up a little. If you are not look for anything fancy and she doesn't have any difficulties with her eyesight, I would suggest the EBW1150 that you can get from Fictionwise.com. It's a little bulkier than a Sony or Kindle, but it's very sturdy, can take a fair amount of abuse and is very ergonomic. It does have a back lit screen, though, not eink and can be harder on the eyes, although I never actually had any problems with it. It is also a little less costly than some of the other devices out there. Fictionwise also has a large number of youth books available in the Microsoft Lit format. You can google Convertlit which is software that allows you to convert lit fomatted books into html, which can then be used with the Ebookwise Librarian Software to convert it for reading on the EBW1150. It sounds like a huge process, but is pretty straightforward really. Good luck.

Happy Reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
llurgy

Hi Kaz,

I cannot find anything about the EBW1150 on fictionwise.com. I have looked on the site but any reference of it seems to be missing. Have you a link to point me in the right direction?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Sorry about that. They used to sell them at Fictionwise, at least until Barnes and Noble bought them. I hadn't noticed that they weren't selling them there anymore. They do have a sister site called Ebookwise that still sells them. They had one on the home page for $135. I hope that helps.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
llurgy

Thanks Kazbates.........
At $135 though I may be just as well getting another Kindle(refurbished) but I think I will wait and see what is happening with all of the new releases.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote