Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
bauerhjb
Connoisseur
bauerhjb began at the beginning.

Device: laptop, netbook, LG & Nextus tablets - Window 10, 8.1, 7,
calibre-1.22.0 vs. calibre-1.20.0 - problem

I was working with calibre-1.20.0 on my Win Vista machine and without thinking hard about it, upgraded to 1.22.0. BIG MISTAKE for me. Everything loaded fine and looked unchanged until I tried to do in-cell editing instead of opening the "edit metadata" dialog.

I experienced more than double my normal wait times each time I tried to make a change to title, author, series, publisher, etc. I'm not a really tech person but this was so frustrating that I read all the notes and suggestions for un-installing and re-loading calibre and then did exactly that. That I took such a chance, was for me a measure of how slow everything was moving.

I'm happy to report that all went smoothly and I am back on 1.20.0 and everything is moving along as it did before the upgrade. The whole reason I am reporting this is 1) to find out if anyone else noticed this change and 2) so that someone might check this out during the other changes that are in process.

Currently I am running just one library with very few changes from the initial program. I have 40,923 books listed and my library size is over 40 GB. In all the years I've been using calibre, this is the only the 2nd problems I've run into, so excellent is this program. I tell everyone I communicate with about this as being "the" program for managing AND reading ebooks. I have the freedom thanks to calibre, to not worry about which format I get my books in, calibre can read them all.

Thank you for this program and the wonderful changes made to it over the years.
bauerhjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@bauerhjb - for two of my libraries I enter all the metadata into the book list cells, didn't notice any change in performance last week, just added 5 new items I had waiting to go into calibre 1.23 - no surprises.

My first two columns are author and title (which are set from file name) - after that its a mixture of custom & standard columns, including a couple of comments columns in one library. After entering a value I tab to next column, and repeat.

Just did a spot check cursoring around and hitting F2 and entering a value - seems normal to me.

Do you have any custom columns based on a program mode templates ? I ran into a performance problem caused by one of those once, nothing to do with versions though.

Oh, I'm not a high speed touch typist, bit better than one finger hunt & peck, but only just, so my expectations may not be as high as yours.

The library to which I just add the 5 items is ~7500books and 604GB (lots of audio, video, and transcripts etc). The other one is ~35,000 books and 30GB

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-08-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Bold Red
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@bauerhjb
You might check your Library integrity by running both sections of the Library Maintenance tool

Another thing to do (in addition to those in the FAQ) when you get unexpected (and no others complain) results:
Uninstall. <do this BEFORE or

Then Delete the Calibre2 programs folder (if you have to, that is a clue right there as uninstall normally removes the folder)
Then reinstall
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
bauerhjb
Connoisseur

Bigger library than mine, good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@bauerhjb - for two of my libraries I enter all the metadata into the book list cells, didn't notice any change in performance last week, just added 5 new items I had waiting to go into calibre 1.23 - no surprises.

My first two columns are author and title (which are set from file name) - after that its a mixture of custom & standard columns, including a couple of comments columns in one library. After entering a value I tab to next column, and repeat.

Just did a spot check cursoring around and hitting F2 and entering a value - seems normal to me.

Do you have any custom columns based on a program mode templates ? I ran into a performance problem caused by one of those once, nothing to do with versions though.

Oh, I'm not a high speed touch typist, bit better than one finger hunt & peck, but only just, so my expectations may not be as high as yours.

The library to which I just add the 5 items is ~7500books and 604GB (lots of audio, video, and transcripts etc). The other one is ~35,000 books and 30GB

BR
Thanks for the response. I don't have any custom columns except pages & words and those were built on an example in the help files, not sure if that counts as a program template?.

Also your library size relieves my one worry about when my library would crash and burn (and yes I do backup regularly) because I was trying to stuff too much into one library. Thanks again for the information.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
bauerhjb
Connoisseur

Not sure what you mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@bauerhjb
You might check your Library integrity by running both sections of the Library Maintenance tool

Another thing to do (in addition to those in the FAQ) when you get unexpected (and no others complain) results:
Uninstall. <do this BEFORE or

Then Delete the Calibre2 programs folder (if you have to, that is a clue right there as uninstall normally removes the folder)
Then reinstall
Thank you for the suggestions, I will try the Library Maintenance tools (after I do another backup). What I am unclear about is this "Uninstall. <do this BEFORE or " Not sure if that is a post I am supposed to look for or what, sorry to be so thick.

Totally unrelated but hoping you know the answer, is there a place to download the entire Help/calibre Manual? I am limited as to the amount of time I can pay for to be online and being able to look up information without the internet connect would be really great. I understand that some links would be unusable offline.

Thanks in advance if you can help or direct me to the correct forum to ask this question, and again thanks for your suggestion.
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post
Totally unrelated but hoping you know the answer, is there a place to download the entire Help/calibre Manual?
Manual downloads here - http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/ - at bottom of intro para's.

Quote:
See An ebook version of this user manual is available in EPUB format, AZW3 (Kindle Fire) format and PDF format.
Hint to KG should they also be available from download page ?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-08-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will move this thread to Devices (the troubleshooting section). You need do nothing else with that.

The manual is frequently changed so I don't know if there is a current HTML version.

My note was only to be sure you did a proper uninstall before deleting any leftover garbage in the programs folder
Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The manual is frequently changed so I don't know if there is a current HTML version.
AFAIK the manual is updated every week - at least according to what's written on the tin, I download the pdf when I download the exe on Friday evening

BR
Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no changes to the library part of calibre in the last several releases, so if you are noticing a slowdown between 1.20 and 1.22 it is almost certainly because something on your computer changed, most likely your antivirus. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and see if it makes a difference.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post

I experienced more than double my normal wait times each time I tried to make a change to title, author, series, publisher, etc.
@bauerhjb : where is the delay?
  • responding to the F2, ie change cell from display state to edit state;
  • responding (echoing) keystrokes as they're entered;
  • responding to end editing cell when tab or enter is pressed.
  • Added - is there any perceptible response difference between first cell edited and subsequent cells

You could install latest calibre portable for testing purposes

BTW my 600GB+ library is only 7500+ books. I think book count is more likely to matter with things like this than the size of individual files in the book folders. The other one at 35,000+ books and 30GB+ is more like a 'normal' library - similar to your 40,000+ books and 40GB+.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-09-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: see red
Old 02-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I agree that: Title count and Author Count ate the biggies, not the size of the book itself

Renaming a books Author can cause the Creation of a new folder, and the Moving (mv) of the book

Renaming the Libraries Author (eg in the Tag Browser), affects All books in the Authors folder. This could be a simple folder rename or a more complex, real MV (combine into) to an existing authors folder

ALL DB metadata changes will also result in a 'metadata backup' running in background (status is available on the library icon menu.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@bauerhjb - are you using 32bit or 64bit calibre ?

Whatever it is you could try the other one - you can have both installed and they will use the same configuration data and libraries.

Doing that seems to have sidestepped a number of weird calibre problems - particularly using 32bit rather than 64bit. The 64bit version only offers an advantage when converting very large books - because it can use more memory than the 32bit version - otherwise there's no difference.

BR