Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #826
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Okay, thanks.

I do not use duokan as it is closed source thus problems like this are only possible to trace via trial and error rather than simply looking in the source code.

I am perfectly happy to put "DUOKAN NOT SUPPORTED" in the top link... but others have reported using Duokan in conjunction with KUAL with no problems.

Perhaps it is the order of installation that is important.
That fact remains that personally I shall not now, nor at any time in the future, be offering support that involves DUOKAN for the reasons stated above.

And frankly this is just another nail in that coffin.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #827
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Okay, thanks.

Perhaps it is the order of installation that is important.
That fact remains that personally I shall not now, nor at any time in the future, be offering support that involves DUOKAN for the reasons stated above.
That was my assumption too. The order of installation made the difference.

So the KUAL Launcher works now after installing it AFTER Kual. The Kual always start as a "mobi" book and not as a menu item within the Kindle OS. Is that the correct behavoiurs? Just making sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
And frankly this is just another nail in that coffin.
Understandable. I would definitely put a disclaimer in the instructions stating that there can be issues with Duokan and KUAL

I searched my fingers off (currently I have 15 tabs open ), but I can't seem to find instructions on how to install Extensions. Can you point me to the instructions? I do NOT have an extensions folder in my root, that's why I'm asking. Do I need to create one?

Last edited by readandread; 05-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #828
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
I searched my fingers off (currently I have 15 tabs open ), but I can't seem to find instructions on how to install Extensions. Can you point me to the instructions? I do NOT have an extensions folder in my root, that's why I'm asking. Do I need to create one?
The gist of it https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=786
A folder named "extensions" in the root of your USB-connected Kindle.
"extensions" is ALL lower-case letters.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #829
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. The installer must have not created it.

Last edited by readandread; 05-17-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #830
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Thanks. The installer must have not created it.
the 'extensions' directory should be at the same level (parallel to) the 'documents' directory.

What part of the directions in the first post could we make clearer?
Quote:
"What? that really obvious place right where all the other default folders are?"
"Yep, put stuff there.. in the folder called extensions"

knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #831
readandread
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
the 'extensions' directory should be at the same level (parallel to) the 'documents' directory.

What part of the directions in the first post could we make clearer?

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Maybe just add that if it's not there (like in my case) create it and the icing on the cake would be a screenshot or something like this:

../
-->system
-->documents
-->books
-->extensions

For noobs like us it would make things more understandable - especially at the beginning it's all new
Old 05-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #832
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe just add that if it's not there (like in my case) create it and the icing on the cake would be a screenshot or something like this:

../
-->system
-->documents
-->books
-->extensions

For noobs like us it would make things more understandable - especially at the beginning it's all new
Super!
Will put you on the volunteer list for the new support site wiki - -
As soon as it is ready for membership registration - -
You can get after those problems with your text editor for us.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #833
knc1
Going Viral

Install Kual launcher -
Click Kual launcher -
See empty extensions list -
Close Kual launcher -
Your done - it created the directory for you.

It can't very well create the directory until you run it at least once.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #834
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm... maybe we have a bug?

Just got back.

I can test for that tomorrow.

Brain not functioning enough right now.
Thanks for reporting the bug.

So in answer to the question

Yes, please do create a folder named extensions if it wasn't created for you and my apologies.

Have to test again... Was pretty damn sure I had tested that before the release...
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #835
readandread
Zealot

Again, maybe this is related to Duokan somehow. I did open the KUAL launcher but I don't remembering it creating that folder. But it's not that important, as long as I know to create it if it's not there Thx again to you guys for the awesome support!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #836
twobob

Well.. I'll check it anyways. Can't be too careful.

Much obliged on the support.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #837
jacksonb
jacksonb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Duh... needed to put the extensions folder into the root. Didn't realize that. Fixed now. It was in documents before... Perhaps I created it manually.
jacksonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #838
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
We "shouldn't" have a bug, but... I just tested KUAL2 (front-end only) and it seems to work correctly. Unlike what I wrote before, when the extensions folder's missing KUAL2 warns the user but does not auto-create the folder. I have amended my previous post with the details https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=786.

@readandread, @jacksonb, did you not see the display that I have added to #786? If you didn't then we have a bug. If you did, what part of it was confusing to you?

P.S. I have noticed a minor bug, the bit.ly link doesn't work. Logged in the tracker https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kindlela...nk-not-working

Last edited by stepk; 05-19-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: bit.ly link works fine.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #839
chagans
chagans began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
You only need to install the kindlet jailbreak (devcerts is included in the jailbreak)
Thanks...I had the same problem (greyed update trying devcerts installation ) and I tried to go to next step (kindlet jb)
Now it works.

May be it's better to insert a comment in the guide in firtst post for those who have just jailbroken with new version.
chagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #840
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
Hello reaper, welcome to the forum.
Create folder /mnt/us/extensions - this will be the home for all your extensions. If you connect your kindle via USB then create folder "extensions" (all lower-case letters, no quotes) in the root of your USB-mounted kindle.
If you can run KUAL then KUAL warns you when it can't find the extension folder. KUAL displays
Code:
KUAL • 1
  • No extensions found
  Save and reset KUAL log
  ×Quit
where the indented items show up when you select and press the "KUAL • 1" button in KUAL. If you then click the "• No extensions found" button KUAL displays "help @ http://bit.ly/UW3v8V" - the bit.ly link points to this very thread.

OK. After you have managed to create the extensions folder find some extensions you like and that are compatible with your kindle model.
Follow the links in the first post to find some extensions.
Got the extensions?
Each extension is an archive file. Unpack it in a folder under /mnt/us/extensions a.k.a. folder "extensions" (all lower-case letters, no quotes) in the root of your USB-mounted kindle.
Start KUAL (again).

Hmm... I really need to overhaul the docs today to reflect this stuff...

I didn't know some of these points myself.

http://bit.ly/kualit works just fine for the link.

Got a blinder of a headache right now. Will bump heads with KNC1 later on and see about centralising the docs I think now then.

Bring them up to date.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified