Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interview with iRex China VP - eventually price reduction

I don't think this has been posted before. China Interfax has an interview with Sophia Peng, vice president of iRex Technologies China, on the company's future goals. The interview is in English and can be found here:

http://www.interfax.cn/displayarticl...A-IT-INTERVIEW

Of course we know that something like "has a total storage capacity of 7 Gigabytes" is utterly crap, but what's interesting is that iRex is planning to reduce the price of the iLiad in China (once they increase production) from currently RMB 9500 ($1248.4) to less than RMB 7000 ($919.8). I know, crazy expensive over there, but what if they translate this >25% decrease in price to what we currently have to pay ($699)... that would lead to something around $520. Much better, wouldn't you say?

TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Why is 7GB crap? The iPhone I'm typing this with has 7GB of usable storage and cost less than my iLiad.

The price reduction may be due to China ending protective tariffs, which for electronic devices could often be 25% or more. The WTO accession is forcing all kinds of changes for China.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Why is 7GB crap? The iPhone I'm typing this with has 7GB of usable storage and cost less than my iLiad.
Scotty, you REALLY have to have every gadget out there, do you?
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Well, 7GB would be nice. But saying, that the iPhone costs less than the iLiad is not really true. You actually pay for the iPhone and at least 24 month with at&t. If the iPhone wouldnt be subsidised by the carrier, it would probably cost more like 1000+ dollars.

Although i envy you a bit, since i really would like to play around with that multitouch interface.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I didn't say that 7GB was crap; I said saying that it had a total storage capacity of 7GB was crap. Show me one iLiad that has that amount of storage. Note that she is not talking about some future iLiad, but about the current one.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I didn't say that 7GB was crap; I said saying that it had a total storage capacity of 7GB was crap. Show me one iLiad that has that amount of storage. Note that she is not talking about some future iLiad, but about the current one.
Well perhaps he means with all kinds of memorycards, usb flashdrives etc?
Anyway I not all that enthousiastic about a 25% price reduction.
Not many 'normal' people would consider buying an ebook device that costs more than about a €150.=
Not really break-through prices in my humble opinion.

Lets face it, that legendary breakthrough will not be coming from Irex or any sort of company like it.
Maybe that Apple could erm...an Ibook?
(Oh and Scotty1024, you are a show-off!! )
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia Peng, vice president of iRex Technologies China
The device has 24 hours of battery life.
Mmmh, vice president must have a very special version. My iLiad is far away from that. Your iLiad, too?
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I don't think this has been posted before. China Interfax has an interview with Sophia Peng, vice president of iRex Technologies China, on the company's future goals. The interview is in English and can be found here:

http://www.interfax.cn/displayarticl...A-IT-INTERVIEW
Dear MobileRead(ers)

The person presented as the VP iRex Technologies China in this posting is not (and never was) an employee of iRex Technologies.

Also the information present in this posting is not inaccurate, as most of you already noticed.

I hope this helps to put this post into perspective and if any of you have questions about this, than I am more than happy to answer your questions on our discussion boards.

Regards
Karel
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thanks, Karel, that does clear up a few things.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
In fact the iPhone isn´t cheeper. You also need an ATNT contract around 50 USD ever month that means

599 + 24 * 50 = 1799 USD ...!
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
How much in the Chinese pricing consists of licensing fees to Irex?

That price could be much lower says my pinkie.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Well, 7GB would be nice. But saying, that the iPhone costs less than the iLiad is not really true. You actually pay for the iPhone and at least 24 month with at&t. If the iPhone wouldnt be subsidised by the carrier, it would probably cost more like 1000+ dollars.

Although i envy you a bit, since i really would like to play around with that multitouch interface.
The iphone IS NOT subsidized by AT&T, hence its $600
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Where did you get that iPhone? I thought it´s always with a mobile contract?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Well I have one of the iPhones. Personally, I can't wait for Apple to develop some sort of tablet - either a UMPC or a reader. They will do it right, and the touch interface will be great.

As far as the $50/month, if you already have a cell phone, you are probably already paying that, so I consider it a wash - in fact my iPhone contract was $10 less a month than my previous contract, and includes unlimited data - my previous contract had NO data - (although to be fair, my iPhone has 50 less text messages a month and 50 less minutes a month, but I consider it a fair trade, as I never used that much of either of those features).
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:58 AM   #15
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
How much in the Chinese pricing consists of licensing fees to Irex?

That price could be much lower says my pinkie.
Prices for consumer electronics tend to be higher in China due to Value Added Tax at several levels of the supply chain. When I first came to China I had purchased an HP laptop in Canada (lots of taxes there too!). Out of curiosity, I priced the same model at a local store. They call HP "huipo" here. It was significantly more expensive. I can buy some components at comparable prices or a little higher, but many things are much higher.

Last edited by mogui; 07-11-2007 at 01:01 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote