Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
PRS-700 scores an 8/10 in I4U review!

Highs:
Holds 350 books; easy to use; stylish and slim

Lows:
No wireless access; have to buy books on computer; smaller selection than Kindle

Link to the review: http://i4u.digitaltrends.com/review5816.html
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Why so many people view no wireless as a negative is beyond me. How many devices do I need to connect to the internets?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Why so many people view no wireless as a negative is beyond me. How many devices do I need to connect to the internets?
All of them? If the net is part of your extended brain than all tools you have should be able to access the net.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
All of them? If the net is part of your extended brain than all tools you have should be able to access the net.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
And the worms will crawl into your brain faster...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
gxxshock
gxxshock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
For me its actually a good thing, the 700 doesn't have wireless, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it in any exams
gxxshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I can see both sides of the wireless question, and I come down fairly solidly on the side that is happy the Sony Reader lacks wireless access. I realize that even if it were on the device, we wouldn't have to use it, but since I don't think I would use it I would rather not have development dollars spent on including it. I would rather have all the good things about the 700 being put into a device with a screen which equals the 505's screen.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Pretty crappy review.

"Sony claims the Reader will last for 7500 pages on one battery charge. We set out to test this theory with the Warren Buffet biography, called The Snowball, which is almost 2500 pages long in digital form. Suffice it to say, we used the PRS-700 for several days without needing a charge."

Well, they "set out to test," but apparently didn't bother, just decided to tell us that they had battery after two days.

No comments on the known negatives:
- contrast
- reflections
- low battery life
- breakage at the edge from the stylus
- dust or condensation.

At least the first three should have been recognized.

My comments are missing the most important point of quick reviews like this: it got the site a lot of hits and links!
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I personally dont think the Battery Life is Low. it may not be 7500 page turns,
but I can read 2 novels on one charge, thats more than good in my opinion.

I agree on the other things. but i can live with em all
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I personally dont think the Battery Life is Low. it may not be 7500 page turns,
but I can read 2 novels on one charge, thats more than good in my opinion.
I know people that read much more than 2 novels on a long flight... If the books are ordinary crime novels I can read more than 2 on a long trip.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I know people that read much more than 2 novels on a long flight... If the books are ordinary crime novels I can read more than 2 on a long trip.
Most long distance airplanes have power ports at the seats so you can charge this. Of course, having a replaceable battery as does the Kindle and CyBook makes long trips easier.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
. . .I come down fairly solidly on the side that is happy the Sony Reader lacks wireless access. . . . I would rather have all the good things about the 700 being put into a device with a screen which equals the 505's screen.
I'm with you David. I simply don't find it cumbersome to occasionally hook my 505 to my PC to add some more books to the device.

OTOH, I would like wireless if it meant that I could get an e version of the complete New York Times on the same day it is published instead of having to get the p version. (Of course, I'd also want a complete e version of The Economist, too.) This way I could save a few trees and still get the news.

What I don't want is another device that gives me access to the Internet for browsing and all the other time-wasting things I do on my computers.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Most long distance airplanes have power ports at the seats so you can charge this. Of course, having a replaceable battery as does the Kindle and CyBook makes long trips easier.
I have never had power in Economy Class on long distance flights.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I would like wireless if it meant that I could get an e version of the complete New York Times on the same day it is published instead of having to get the p version. (Of course, I'd also want a complete e version of The Economist, too.)
Get Calibre. (Sheesh, Kovad's succinct signature line has worked on me.)

I get both the NY Times and The Economist via Calibre. And others. For free. The NY Times I know is the latest. Unless you know that either or both of these aren't complete. The NY Times is usually about 1,400 Reader pages, and the Economist I got two days ago was 461 Reader pages. It takes a little while on the PC, and then a transfer to your Reader (here's where even wi-fi would be useful), so it's not as convenient as Kindle delivery.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I get both the NY Times and The Economist via Calibre. And others. For free. The NY Times I know is the latest. Unless you know that either or both of these aren't complete. The NY Times is usually about 1,400 Reader pages, and the Economist I got two days ago was 461 Reader pages. It takes a little while on the PC, and then a transfer to your Reader (here's where even wi-fi would be useful), so it's not as convenient as Kindle delivery.
JJ2Me, thanks. I thought the two publications were the usual RSS feeds of a few paragraphs of a story and not the whole thing. I'll have to give it a try. As for The Economist, my print subscription runs until 2013, so for now the main interest would be the New York Times.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote