Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Janephew91
Janephew91 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red face Cover conversion issues

I'm trying to add a cover image to an epub using Calibre. I have tried the two different options of "No SVG cover" and "Preserve Aspect Ratio" both options once the conversion to EPUB is complete the first page of the file is blank when I open it in ADE.

I also tried resaving the jpeg file and converted again, still a blank page.

When I converted to MOBI it worked fine, the cover shows up so I don't know what the issue is when converting to EPUB.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Janephew91; 02-12-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Janephew91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janephew91 View Post
I'm trying to add a cover image to an epub using Calibre. I have tried the two different options of "No SVG cover" and "Preserve Aspect Ratio" both options once the conversion to EPUB is complete the first page of the file is blank when I open it in ADE.
Leave the "No SVG cover" unchecked and try again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Janephew91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Leave the "No SVG cover" unchecked and try again.
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it still converted with a blank page for cover.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janephew91 View Post

I also tried resaving the jpeg file and converted again, still a blank page.
What OS are you using?
What version of calibre are you using?
What are you converting from?
What are you converting to?
What exactly are the steps you're doing?

Leaving all epub output options blank and converting the file to ePub will embed the cover seen in calibre into the book every time. You literally can't avoid it.

When you try to convert the book and the conversion dialog pops up go to epub output options there and clear out the settings like the attached image. Otherwise it will keep using the initial options you tried. Changing the main conversions options will not change the saved conversion settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub output options.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	101185  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-13-2013 at 02:30 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Janephew91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
What OS are you using?
What version of calibre are you using?
What are you converting from?
What are you converting to?
What exactly are the steps you're doing?

Leaving all epub output options blank and converting the file to ePub will embed the cover seen in calibre into the book every time. You literally can't avoid it.

When you try to convert the book and the conversion dialog pops up go to epub output options there and clear out the settings like the attached image. Otherwise it will keep using the initial options you tried. Changing the main conversions options will not change the saved conversion settings.
I am using the newest version of Calibre 0.9.18. I have OS X Leopard. I am converting EPUB to EPUB, just using Calibre to add a book cover. I have done this dozens of times before and this is the first time I have this issue.

I first added the original EPUB to the library and chose to convert it, added the book cover file, and originally clicked "No SVG cover" like I have every other time. It didn't work. So, I retried the conversion using the original EPUB checking "Preserve aspect ratio" (a suggestion I found on an older thread) but that didn't work. So, I then tried using the original EPUB converting with every option blank in EPUB output.

The cover is still blank. I noticed in finder that the .png (portable network graphics image) is blank whereas in other EPUB conversions that have been successful you see the cover image when I open it in Preview. Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Janephew91

I ended up resaving the jpeg file in Adobe Photoshop "for Web & Devices" and dumped all of my previous tries from the Calibre library. Went through the process of adding the original EPUB from Indesign and converted using the new saved jpeg file checking "No SVG cover" and it worked.

Thanks for your suggestions, it definitely lead me down the right road of just starting fresh.

Tags
calibre, conversion error, cover, epub