Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Hi !

I'm very desapointed by the iBooks software delivered with the iPad: I was used to the way I could sort out and find my latest read books in my Sony PRS-650, and I can't do that on the iPad !

I have more than 1000 books stored, and I prefer to carry only my iPad with me instead of having to drag along ALSO the Sony !

Is there an Ebook reader made for iPad, in which I can sort my books in different ways, like reading date, storing date, title, author, etc... ?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advices !

J-P.
One option you might want to explore is Dropbox or another cloud storage service. You could store all your books there and temporarily transfer them to whatever reading app you prefer. You could organize your Dropbox book folder into sub-folders, however you probably wouldn't have much flexibility to sort the books according to different criteria I suppose.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
My Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Seriously, why would you need more then 500 books at one time to be able to read? That's just silly and this limit is not really much of an issue given how long it would actually take you to read 500 books.

How well does ShuBook actually render? I've tried Apabi and it was awful. Bluefire renders well. Does ShuBook respect the CSS?
I am a fast reader, i like to read a lot of diverent books and I like to read books a second time and Therfore one of the really +++ of Ereader is the posibility to take my Library with me (about 5.000 Books now) and tzherfore the software has to support it And before anyone says Seriously ....
Yes I NEED MY BOOKS WITH ME OTHERWISE I AM NOT HAPPY
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But to be honest, the best app for reading is currently the worst app for organizing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmorus View Post
I am a fast reader, i like to read a lot of diverent books and I like to read books a second time and Therfore one of the really +++ of Ereader is the posibility to take my Library with me (about 5.000 Books now) and tzherfore the software has to support it And before anyone says Seriously ....
Yes I NEED MY BOOKS WITH ME OTHERWISE I AM NOT HAPPY
I have to agree with FlorenceArt about cloud storage. It is a bit of a mind shift but cloud storage is so much better. I use to want my entire library physically with me when I was using my Sony Reader, but that didn't have wifi. Now that I keep my library in Dropbox, along with a catalog, I can access any book at any time I have internet access. The best part is that using a catalog I can sort by genre, rating, etc. With all my books in Dropbox I feel that I also have all my books with me.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
LiquidGear
Zealot
LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
i also agree with FlorenceArt...

if you want a well organized... use cloud storage... but as for the topic, i'd go for Stanza... it's more user friendly (IMHO) as compare to other Epub reader..
LiquidGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

What I don't understand is why no one has developed a great ePub reader for iOS, Android, MAC OS, Windows, Linux, etc. Even if we had to pay $9.99 to purchase it, it would be worth the money. Instead we have dozens of half-a$$ed apps out their and none of them are really close to being great. Way back when I used PDAs on a daily basis, way before the smartphone/tablet era, we had several good readers for PalmOS and Windows Mobile devices. Some were free and some were for pay, but many of those were far superior to anything available today on any platform, IMO. It has been too long to remember the app names now.

The big bookstore companies turn out lackluster reader apps. I'm talking about Apple, Amazon, Sony, B&N, so there is a huge market there for developers to produce better apps for ePub and mobi, but none have yet to produce an app that is really that much better than the BIG EBOOKSTORE companies.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Theres a bunch of aussies from another forum i hang out in who are app developers. I've asked them as a group to consider looking at creating a Stanza replacement. I have no idea whether it will come to fruition, but I suggested that it could be a good option, because I too would be prepared to pay for a GOOD Stanza replacement. One of the devs asked me what was better about Stanza than iBooks or Kindle, so I told him. I'm sure I missed a lot of detail, but I'm hoping that one or more will take my request seriously. (and yes, JSW, correct rendering was on the list of must-do)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The best ePub reader for the iPad 2 is the same one for the iPad and the New iPad. That being Bluefire Reader. I'm hoping that once they get the organization for it does, it will be much nicer.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Theres a bunch of aussies from another forum i hang out in who are app developers. I've asked them as a group to consider looking at creating a Stanza replacement. I have no idea whether it will come to fruition, but I suggested that it could be a good option, because I too would be prepared to pay for a GOOD Stanza replacement. One of the devs asked me what was better about Stanza than iBooks or Kindle, so I told him. I'm sure I missed a lot of detail, but I'm hoping that one or more will take my request seriously. (and yes, JSW, correct rendering was on the list of must-do)
On the Facebook Stanza wall some users have recently posted that they have updated to IOS 6 beta 3 and the latest version of Stanza still works well. Good news! Stanza is still the best reader IMO....
Hopefully someone comes up with a GOOD replacement with all the features before it finally doesn't work any more. I've paid good money to try most of the ones already out there and don't like them half as much, there's always something missing to make them as good as Stanza.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-25-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
On the Facebook Stanza wall some users have recently posted that they have updated to IOS 6 beta 3 and the latest version of Stanza still works well. Good news! Stanza is still the best reader IMO....
Hopefully someone comes up with a GOOD replacement with all the features before it finally doesn't work any more. I've paid good money to try most of the ones already out there and don't like them half as much, there's always something missing to make them as good as Stanza.
Good to know! I'm due for a phone upgrade and it's great if Stanza still works on iOS6. Also considering getting the new iPod Touch as the 256MB RAM on the current model is just way too limiting. Frequent out of memory app crashes and the combination of A4+256MB makes it crawl compared to the snappy iPhone 4S.

Right now, Stanza is still my favorite reader app on iOS. I've actually found a pretty decent alternative on Android (Mantano Reader) but the problem with that is finding a good Android device. I positively hate AMOLED and greatly dislike the massive 4.5" form factor that new Android phones are sporting.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Stanza may have a lot of feature you like, but it also has a lot of rendering flaws that make it fairly worthless (IMHO).
Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Have you ever wondered like I do? Why should consumers be bothered with the task of finding and then installing different e-readers in order to read books on their mobile devices? Isn't it the job of mobile device makers to make sure their users have a good reading experience on their devices?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Have you ever wondered like I do? Why should consumers be bothered with the task of finding and then installing different e-readers in order to read books on their mobile devices? Isn't it the job of mobile device makers to make sure their users have a good reading experience on their devices?
For an eReading device certainly but for a tablet, not so much. There is no indication that any particular user is interested in eBook reading on a tablet. Many buy it for other purposes. I do think Apple's supplied iBook reader meets the needs of most of their customers and others can augment it with the app of their choice. I think that is the design goal of a tablet.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #29
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I do think Apple's supplied iBook reader meets the needs of most of their customers and others can augment it with the app of their choice. I think that is the design goal of a tablet.
I agree. I didn't buy my iPad to read books on it but that's what I ended up doing, plus many other things that Apple never even dreamed about but that are supplied by app developers.

And for my needs, iBooks is the best reader for ePub, it's not perfect but it works, and I tried a few others that I didn't like, including Bluefire.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
So you'd prefer that the device maker had one "favoured" reading app, and didn't allow the installation of any others, would you? Competition law might have something to say about that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote