Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
HP books could lead as an example that DRM is a pointless thing.
That's actually the only positive thing I've taken from the whole "HP is joining the 21st century" announcement. I'm not a fan of Harry Potter, but I'm a huge fan of authors breaking the traditional publishing rules when it comes to ebooks.

Hopefully such a big name will start a trend.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #32
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
As to the OP's original question, the answer is NO, for what I consider to be an obvious reason: Pottermore has no business interest whatsoever in pushing Amazon to abandon MOBI and adopting EPUB, so they won't.
AS to DRM, my understanding is that Pottermore is opting for a social DRM scheme, in which the buyer's credit card number would be digitally watermarked unto each copy sold. Will that work to protect Ms. Rowling's IP rights as well as regular DRM? Color me skeptical, but we will find out in a few months.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #33
whitedirewolf
E-ink Lover
whitedirewolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wow, exciting news! This is something I've longed for since I started buying eBooks. Amazon's selection of eBooks is without doubt among the best (if not the best) on the market, but I've never been a fan about their decision using the mobi format. Even though they offer reading apps to all major smartphone and computer OSes, Kindle is the only e-reader that have native support for mobi as far as I know.

I love my Kindle, but lately I've ended up buying ePub eBooks from other stores, removed the DRM, converted to mobi and finally transferred them to my Kindle. If Amazon decides to sell future eBooks in ePub format I'll be their most loyal customer ever

However, if they decide to go for the ePub standard, do you think Amazon will offer all books in ePub, or just selected ones?
whitedirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedirewolf View Post
Even though they offer reading apps to all major smartphone and computer OSes, Kindle is the only e-reader that have native support for mobi as far as I know.
There are over 10 (counting all Kindles as 1) listed at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_formats
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #35
whitedirewolf
E-ink Lover

Yes, I probably should have said a few rather than the only one. Yet I think that the support for ePub is much better than mobi among both pure e-readers and eBook reading apps on Android Market for instance.

I just hope that ePub will be the standard format for eBooks, just as MP3 is more or less the standard within the music industry.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Chamber of Secrets, chapter 6, page 78 of the UK children's paperback:
"54. When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday, and what would his ideal gift be?"

But it's true that these are rare, though she uses a lot of extracted text.
I've attached a photo of this from Google books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hp.png
Views:	282
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	74798  
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There are over 10 (counting all Kindles as 1) listed at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_formats
If you look at the table that has all the different platforms, you'll see the Kindles are the only ones that do not support ePub. I think that's eventually going to be The Kindle's downfall.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Chamber of Secrets, chapter 6, page 78 of the UK children's paperback:
"54. When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday, and what would his ideal gift be?"

But it's true that these are rare, though she uses a lot of extracted text.
I'm afraid that I only have the Latin and Greek versions of "The Philosophers' Stone"; in fact I suspect that's the only one of the series that's been translated into these languages. Sorry!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, I probably should have said a few rather than the only one. Yet I think that the support for ePub is much better than mobi among both pure e-readers and eBook reading apps on Android Market for instance.

I just hope that ePub will be the standard format for eBooks, just as MP3 is more or less the standard within the music industry.
For lossless, FLAC is the standard as MP3 is the standard for lossy.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #40
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
If no-DRM is a requirement then no need for ADE as well. Amazon could simply sell non-DRM mobi through their site. I don't think that format is important in this case as HP books have simple formatting. The real benefit could come from accepting DRM-less publishing.
Amazon cannot sell the books through their site. Pottermore is the only place that is going to sell the books.

The method of purchase is what Google Checkout provides. I think Amazon could provide something similar via Amazon Marketplace, but the sale at least seems like it needs to be initiated from Pottermore. Target used to be hooked up through Amazon, for example (add to cart on Target.com, checkout ultimately goes through Amazon).

In terms of format, I believe it is important, as it finally gets Amazon/Kindle on the ePUB bandwagon. For one thing, other books have more complex formatting and ePUB could produce better results. And for another, this brings us one step closer to breaking the device/bookstore lock in on the Kindle.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #41
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
and tons of other public domain books are not only illustrated, but the illustrations are part of the reason these books are classics. The mobi file format doesn't reproduce these books very well.
I've never noticed a difference. Mobi seems to do images quite well enough for the portable reading devices for which these books appear to be intended.

From a practical point of view, most books today will be formatted to look pretty much the same in either format, Kindle still being the most popular reader, so I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of publishing distinctly different versions for epub and mobi. Publishers tend create with the common, and easily inter-convertable, features in mind.

As an owner of both an epub and a mobi reader, however, if you happen to have any examples of epubs that highlight something epub can do over mobi, that is of any practical value to the reader , I would be curious to see it. Otherwise the differences seem to be academic, or limited to a tiny niche of the market at best.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #42
whitedirewolf
E-ink Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For lossless, FLAC is the standard as MP3 is the standard for lossy.
I know, that's why I added "more or less" In any case, I believe that it's about time the eBook industry comes together and agrees on one specific format. It would've made a lot of things so much easier.

The reason I would like to see Amazon decide for the ePub format, is that so many other major eBook stores have. But Amazon has, especially with its Kindle, obtained a very solid position within the eBook market. Thus, it's now Amazon against the rest in terms of formats used. If you therefore choose Amazon's mobi format, you'll most likely be stuck with Amazon for a long time if you want to be able to read all your previously bought books. And while this might be just what Amazon wants, it's not what I, as a user, want.

Many other eBook stores now uses Adobe Digital Editions for handling the DRM. More and more eBook readers support this standard as well. As a result, more freedom and access to your books on more devices and applications. I'm therefore now buying all my books using other eBook stores. I'm not saying I'm correct and that my opinion is the best, it's just my thoughts on the situation. And history tells us that forcing users to one format/platform is not how you keep users staying with you. Take a look at the music industry, it's been through many of the same dilemmas.

Just like a music store selling MP3, an eBook store can set its own price and restrictions, but still offer a book in standard format.

Last edited by whitedirewolf; 07-25-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #43
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Many other eBook stores now uses Adobe Digital Editions for handling the DRM.
Many smaller book stores use Adept DRM.
Major stores with their own associated ereaders do not. Amazon don't, Apple don't, B&N don't and Kobo only do when selling to non-Kobo devices, they use their own DRM for their own devices. Any (English-speaking) major player who has the option of using their own DRM rather than paying Adobe has taken than option.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #44
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
terms of format, I believe it is important, as it finally gets Amazon/Kindle on the ePUB bandwagon. For one thing, other books have more complex formatting and ePUB could produce better results. And for another, this brings us one step closer to breaking the device/bookstore lock in on the Kindle.
What's the business case for Pottermore pushing Amazon to switch formats? I know its technically cool and all , but Pottermore is not going to do this unless they are receiving some financial advantage for doing this.
I'm genuinely curious. Why would Pottermore pick this fight, rather than simply offering the books in mobi as well as epub formats on their site-the way manybooks, feedbooks and Project GT do?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #45
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
What's the business case for Pottermore pushing Amazon to switch formats? I know its technically cool and all , but Pottermore is not going to do this unless they are receiving some financial advantage for doing this.
I'm genuinely curious. Why would Pottermore pick this fight, rather than simply offering the books in mobi as well as epub formats on their site-the way manybooks, feedbooks and Project GT do?
A very good question.

The business reason would be that they only have to produce one book format instead of two. Beside that, what's to stop another player from coming along and demanding books in their format.

Amazon may pay them to release in .mobi format, and that would settle that. OTOH, Rowling herself owns the digital rights and (presumably) makes the final decision on anything. I don't know how easy it is to bribe the richest woman in the world!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, epub, harry potter, jk rowling, standardization