Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #31
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
I think this could actually enhance the experience if done right, with the right books. As an example, I used to read fantasy books by an author who liked to make musical allusions in the story, something a character played or wrote usually. One book even had some of the pieces a character wrote written out in the back of the book. This is the kind of thing I could see benefiting from embedded audio clips or the like. I can't think of anything I've read that would benefit from video in a similar way, but I wouldn't be surprised if it existed. (Just to note, if this existed I would argue that it should be entirely optional, perhaps with "traditional" versions and "enhanced" versions.)

Now, what I could really see taking off is a smellobook or a tastybook.
Heh. That makes me think of what it would be like if I had a Lord of the Rings eBook with audio of J.R.R.T.'s songs being sung or poems being recited in the right places.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #32
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
As others have pointed out, there is probably a place for this in nonfiction - think interactive maps in a history book, or an interactive diagram of how to replace a belt in an automotive guide. Certain cooking apps have short videos of various techniques that can be helpful, too. And this would probably be actually useful for certain textbooks.

But even in these media, it is something that is much easier to do wrong than to do right. But I really see no place for it in fiction, which of course rarely even uses illustrations.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #33
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Heh. That makes me think of what it would be like if I had a Lord of the Rings eBook with audio of J.R.R.T.'s songs being sung or poems being recited in the right places.
I tried listening to the audio book version which contained exactly that. It was torture.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 AM   #34
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I think it is a great idea for a magazine. I think it sucks for a book.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #35
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Even better with video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote