Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Smile Got my K3 WI-FI

I recieved my K3 this afternoon an my wife put it on charge. When I go home I inspected it and it looks great and no rattles. First things first I had downloaded the update and placed it on my k3 and updated it.
After that I registered and and connected it to my WIFI network with no issues. Then it was time for snyc and downloading my books. I have lots of free books that I got from Amazon and have been reading them on my netbook using kindle for pc.
The screen is wonderful. I will be checking it out and will give updates later.

For now I am a happy camper.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
...For now I am a happy camper....
Glad you got it and are enjoying it. Same here--no problems at all so far; not even a single freeze. And I'm really digging the higher contrast screen and the dictionary lookup. I think there's still a little room for improvement, but waaaaay better than my K1!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
So, it is recommended that we update the firmware?
I'm getting mine this Friday!!!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
So, it is recommended that we update the firmware?
I'm getting mine this Friday!!!
From all of the reviews that I had read I decided that the first thing I was going to do was do the update.
I have downloaded and copied a total of 195 books to my kindle and so far I have not had any issues.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
TheDeciderBoy
TheDeciderBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I just ordered mine. Selling my nook. Can we all have a group hug?
TheDeciderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life

So far so good no issues. I will be writing a review later for Amazon and will link it to this forum. I will not rush into writing the review I am wanting a couple of weeks to review it myself.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeciderBoy View Post
I just ordered mine. Selling my nook. Can we all have a group hug?

Consider yourself hugged.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Congrats new Kindlers! If you get stuck or need any help with the Kindle, just drop by here
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Yes, congrats!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life

Received my Kindle 3 WI-FI on this week and I think it is great. I have had an ebook reader in the past and I enjoyed it. I gave it to my sister-in-law while she was in the hospital and sick. And started using the kindle for pc and came to enjoy the ease of getting my ebooks from Amazon. So I decided it was time to get the kindle when I saw the price of the WI-FI only version.
I love the size of the kindle and also the screen. The page turns are really fast compared to the older ereader that I had. I have not had and of the issues that I have read about on Amazon or the MobileRead forums.
I did the updates before I joined the kindle to my WIFI network. It joined the second time I tried the first time I tried the issue was not the kindle but my issue. My network requires mac address verification. So I disabled that for long enough to get the kindle on my network then I added the kindle to my router and reenabled mac address verification and also hid my ssid again. The kindle does not have any issues connecting now.
I downloaded 150 books for Amazon that I have gotten mostly classics that are free. I also added about 50 other books that I had in mobi format. I have not had any issues with slowdowns. I use the Kindle Collection Manager that I was able to get from the developer on MobileReader forum and that has been a huge help with organizing my ebooks.
My only issue is that the 5 way switch is too close to the back switch.
I will not give the kindle a five star rating because that would mean it is perfect, but I will give it 4.5 stars as there is always room for improvements.

Last edited by cvkemp; 09-16-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
cvkemp
Loving life

Had a short time this afternoon when my kindle slowed down. But it did not last long and the reason was that I had added about 200 books and then set up collections using collection manager. I am guessing it was just indexing the books. The battery life is great so far. I have to say that I am loving my kindle so far.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
dilipc
dilipc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Congrats to all the new Kindlers (including me haha). The K3 is a great reader, I'm loving it!
dilipc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
My only issue is that the 5 way switch is too close to the back switch.
This has been commented on in a few places. I also struggled a bit the first couple of days. I actually think this is just a bit of training. If you've every used a Blackberry, it takes a bit of time to "get it" and get your thumbs to "get it". Certainly after 19 days usage, I've long since adapted fully to the new Kindle navigation tool. It makes the teeny joy stick of the Kindle 2 seem like ancient history.

Oh, and a belated hug to TheDeciderBoy!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
cvkemp
Loving life

Just loaded one of my audible books on to the kindle and the sound is great. Now I have to say this I am hard of hearing and I use a set of bose headsets to listen to the book.
But I will be using a connection from my kindle to a remote connection that feeds my hearing aids later to see what that sounds like.
My kindle is really good.
Chuck