Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
mojohn
mojohn began at the beginning.

Device: cruz reader
Noah98, I'll try to install the apk you suggested. The uninstall process that is native to the Cruz Reader doesn't provide an uninstall option.
mojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
mojohn

Noah98, I attempted to uninstall the crapware using the apk you suggested. Didn't work because the crapware is installed in a location that isn't user-accessible.

Have you seen any information about anyone working on a root exploit for the Cruz Reader?
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #18
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
check over at slatedroid's forums. if they don't have it yet I suspect they will soon
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #19
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Cruz Reader arrived yesterday and hubby couldn't get the wi-fi to connect so left it for me to do when I got home today. Fussed with it for a while and it finally connected! Then looked through some of the apps available through CruzMarket. Not impressed. Mostly very cheap unknown brand apps. Hubby tried out the Facebook app, but after a few minutes said he didn't like it. Page too small with tiny print, I agreed. IPad has got nothing to worry about! The unit weighed 17 ounces which isn't bad, but to hold it one handed for any length of time would get tiring.
So bottom line, it's not compatible with my not so computer savvy husband and being returned for a refund. He's declared that he is perfectly happy with the K3.
No Kindle app but is tied to Borders.com store. I am sure they can be added by users who know how to add android apps. It is open for third party apps. Seeing how it's being advertised as a reader, I got the impression that instead it's trying to be a cheap tablet which it succeeds at. Buyer beware, only Android 2.0 so no flash capabilities. on the web browser you get mobile sites like a phone, not the internet sites. Nope, it isn't worth the money in my opinion.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 09-25-2010 at 12:11 AM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for the review/info/insight!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Thank you Ms. Astoria! I now know to wait for a better one!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #22
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Has anyone seen/used/read reviews on the Cruz tablet as opposed to the Cruz reader? Is it worth the extra hundred bucks?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #23
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I don't think the Cruz Tablet is out yet, mid October
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #24
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I don't think the Cruz Tablet is out yet, mid October
I know, but I was wondering about any early reviews.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
None that have appeared through slatedroid, and they're still hiding important specs, e.g. which system-on-a-chip that they're using... better be at least a cortex-a8 for $300 given that the Archos 70 has a TI OMAP3630 and will go for c. $275ish.

Ended up returning my Augen Gentouch78 after Augen failed to release source, and had some bad backlight bleed from two corners. Bought a white Pandigital Novel(what the Cruz Reader is cloned from), however to my dismay I ended up with another unit with backlight bleed which kind of makes reading in dimly lit/dark areas annoying. (Never noticed it until using it at night the first night that I had it, and now can even see it during the day since I know where to look.)

Cruz Reader doesn't have hw 3D accel either as some early reports indicated and a slatedroid user reported video playback to be as poor as early PDN fw.

Hybrid Cruz/PDN fw is running on the PDNs now as well.

WiFi: you might've been able to get some help at slatedroid with that as the PDN apparently used to have some WiFi problems... there's a Cruz Reader specific sub-forum in the PDN forum over there now.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #26
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Bought a white Pandigital Novel(what the Cruz Reader is cloned from), however to my dismay I ended up with another unit with backlight bleed which kind of makes reading in dimly lit/dark areas annoying. (Never noticed it until using it at night the first night that I had it, and now can even see it during the day since I know where to look.)
I understand that duct tape is opaque.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #27
readingaloud
Enthusiast
readingaloud is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad; Sony Reader; Amazon Kindle
Just spent two of the least edifying hours I can recall trying to get my shiny new Cruz Reader to do something--anything--useful. No luck. IMHO this is the biggest turkey I've encountered in the eBook world, and I own about 20 different devices. I rate it a must miss.
readingaloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #28
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I discovered that if you touch the bottom of the screen you will get a control that increases the print size. I visited the Time mag site and enjoyed a very interesting article there with this ability. Also, as far as browsing goes, I purchased a Ciscso Valet, it is a router which I plug into my cable modem, and it allows me to wirelessly use my cruz around the house. However, I attempted to download some free apps at the Cruz Market and was told that I do not have enough memory to do that for some reason. Also, I thought microsoft word came with it. Instead they have a trial download which I have been unable to figure out with two attempts. The regular downloadable word program is $14.00 if I remember rightly.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #29
fishhawk101
fishhawk101 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505/nook
So I just got a Cruz ereader. I have an ipad, but wanted a cheaper backlit ereader for when my husband takes it traveling. 2 hours later I finally call customer service when I can't get the wifi to work with it and they say that they haven't had any success yet with people using them with Mac airports and that I need to call Mac customer service since my router has a block on it. Of course apple wants to charge me for the conversation. Can anyone help me with this issue?
fishhawk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #30
mojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhawk101 View Post
So I just got a Cruz ereader. I have an ipad, but wanted a cheaper backlit ereader for when my husband takes it traveling. 2 hours later I finally call customer service when I can't get the wifi to work with it and they say that they haven't had any success yet with people using them with Mac airports and that I need to call Mac customer service since my router has a block on it. Of course apple wants to charge me for the conversation. Can anyone help me with this issue?
I don't know if this solution will work for you, but it worked for me. I am able to connect my Cruz Reader to the ad-hoc wifi network created by Barnacle running on my rooted Moto Backflip. If the Mac airport also creates an ad-hoc network, this should work for you. [Instructions posted on 8/10/10 at 12:10 p.m. by oneglory at SlateDroid: http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital...ook-here.html]

I don't believe I'm violating copyright by providing a link, but I guess we'll find out if the moderator removes the link.

mojohn

Last edited by mojohn; 10-12-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: To provide more clarity in my response