Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi or 3G+WiFi?
Wi-Fi Only 205 53.11%
Wi-Fi+3G 181 46.89%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
*smacks head*...I need to check the product page again, because I saw this:

Quote:
New WebKit-Based Browser – Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)

and assumed that was their subtle way of saying [but not 3g]

I'm going to the product page again, and if I see it with my own two eyes (not doubting you at all, just want to make sure....trust but verify ) I'm going to cancel my wifi preorder and change it to the graphite 3g.

Again, thanks for straightening me out! You look like you need more karma so I'm sending some your way
I see that on the product page for the WiFi only version. On the page for the 3G+WiFi it says...
Quote:
New WebKit-Based Browser – Free 3G web browsing (experimental)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #47
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
lol! yeah, I edited that back into my post before seeing that you had replied on the next page. I'm a goof, when I had clicked onto the product, I clicked the wifi only version which was why I was so confused.

the homer graphic bears repeating:

I changed the order to the 3g version. that's totally worth a $50 hardware premium, to me!
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #48
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
only when there is a large format color reader with both for under $200...as far as the new reader, I see no reason to order now or even a year from now until we see how the market shakes out after this fall/winter periods.

If I was readerless now, I would pull the trigger on whichever reader I could afford. Obviously having both options is nice, but to be honest shopping for books on the Kindle Store is not that great an experience, though I did have a better time the other evening for the first time using the reader only...still buying via the reader is not that much fun. But for a book I know I want then and there, having both options is worth the extra $50 over the lifetime of the device.

Still buy what you can afford...and if you are always around wifi then spend the difference on books!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #49
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
3G... but I will wait and see if m-Edge will get covers out before August 27, as I'd prefer a Go case to Amazon's.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #50
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
My Touch Pro 2 also does mobile hotspot, but IIRC, they said on amazon that the K3 can't connect through peer-to-peer/ad-hoc connections, which are what the mobile hotspot applications typically consist of. I've never seen a mobile wifi router application for smartphones that emulates a full router, it's always an ad-hoc connection.
I think mine looks and acts as my home router. It's called JoikuSpot. It appears as any other hotspot and multiple clients can connect to it at the same time.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #51
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
wifi. But just thinking about this, I wonder updates will be delivered. Given the debacle over the 2.5 update, will we have to wait for Amazon to put it on their website?
I'm just guessing, but if you have a WiFi connection active I suspect the K3 will stay in touch with Amazon in much the same way as it would via a 3G connection using Whispernet. So I suspect that updates will get pushed to the K3 via WiFi.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #52
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
If I decide to get a K3, I'm tempted to save $50 with the wifi only model. I can always turn my Droid into a wifi hotspot if I need to connect my Kindle while I'm out. However, I think there's a big advantage in having built-in 3G access and if I ever travel out of country, then I still get free 3G, which is awesome! I just don't know how much travel I'll be doing before a new Kindle that I'll undoubtedly want comes out.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #53
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I got the 3G Graphite with the apple green lighted case. I was feeling super deluxe. I like the convenience of the 3G. Like SpiderMatt, I could also tether with my Droid but this is faster, simpler and it will still work when I'm out of the country. Plus I like to get the full book as quickly as I can after finishing the sample so I don't want to have to muck around with my phone wasting precious reading time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #54
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
I love to get 3G + wifi but I think having just wifi will do. I'm after the Pearl e-Ink screen...
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #55
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I think mine looks and acts as my home router. It's called JoikuSpot. It appears as any other hotspot and multiple clients can connect to it at the same time.
So does WmWifiRouter, which I use, but looking JoikuSpot up on a quick search, I think they're both functionally the same:

http://www.joikushop.com/?action=abo...e=joikuspotfaq
Quote:
# JoikuSpot creates the WLAN connection successfully. However, the browser doesn't connect and gives an error message?

* JoikuSpot requires Ad Hoc WLAN mode to enable web connection. Please configure your WLAN device's WLAN settings to allow use of Ad Hoc networks, and if possible, set the JoikuSpot connection as primary/default WLAN network, so that your WLAN device wouldn't get interrupted by other WLAN networks near-by.
From the info on amazon's page:
Quote:
New, Built-In Wi-Fi
Kindle automatically detects nearby Wi-Fi networks at school, home, or your favorite café. At a hotel or café that requires a password? Simply enter the password and connect to the network. Once you have added a Wi-Fi network, Kindle will automatically connect to that network the next time you’re near the hotspot. Kindle does not currently connect to enterprise or peer-to-peer networks.
And to the 'droid guys, I think you might also be in the same boat.

I think we're all in the same boat, like I said, even though I have a Touch Pro 2 on sprint with tethering out my ears via wmwifirouter, I still shelled out the $50 premium for the 3g in the end, because every "mobile hotspot" application I've ever seen for a mobile phone utilizes "ad-hoc" connection mode, which is what amazon means with the "peer-to-peer" reference. So be careful, make sure you *know* what you're getting into and that you can set your phone to broadcast its connection in "infrastructure" mode (sometimes called "router" mode). It might not be quite as easy to tether wirelessly as it is to do on your laptop. I decided the $50 was worth it to ensure a worry-free experience. I don't have to tie up my phone or drain its battery, I decided the webkit browser would really make the 3g more useful so I didn't mind ponying up the extra dough.

I don't want to sound like deputy downer, here, but I'd expect it would be better to find out sooner rather than later if it's not going to work.

Last edited by matt314159; 07-30-2010 at 10:23 PM.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #56
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
I really prefer the extra formats, and sources, available on the Sony 900. However, I'm seeing a lot of complaints about it's screen readability/brightness...so I'm beginning to think I may hold off on the Sony until a future model has a better screen. I am, thus, still researching other makes/models, and may end up going with a Kindle 3G+WiFi as my first e-reader. It's supposed to have a brighter, glare free, screen for more readability, and costs less. If I go with it, I will probably load it up with a lot of the free classics...Jane Austen, etc, from Amazon.

Later on, I will take a look at the latest Sony, to see if the screen problems are gone. By then, however, the latest Kindle may have added the extra formats, and become more open sourced, so I may stick with a new Kindle then. There is much to consider, and each system seems to have it's own benefits, and drawbacks. I am now seriously considering getting the 3G+WiFi Kindle, and keeping it as my classic literature reader.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #57
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I had ordered the 3G one, but just cancelled and went for the wifi only as Im mostly at home with it.
Having read the manual, it seems as if it uses wifi as standard and the 3G is really just a backup, so seems pointless in my case, not sure I'll ever use the 3G.
The £40 saving is best used for new ebooks and the extra battery life seems to outweigh the pros of 3G for me

So I ordered the graphite wifi and the apple green lighted cover

but then I keep swaying between wifi and 3G, just not sure........the battery life using wireless is so different, 10 days/3G or 3 weeks/wifi, thats the thing that bugging me......just can't decide on one and be happy

Last edited by babyd; 07-31-2010 at 09:22 AM.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #58
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
DXG Wi Fi?

I just wish Amazon would come out with a WiFi only DXG, then that would be my choice.
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #59
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I pre-ordered the 3G Graphite with the Steel Blue lighted cover, but I might change that to red... My main reason for upgrading from the K2 was whispersync. I have the US model and have no Sprint coverage at my house (but I do have AT&T - go figure), so I have never been able to make use of the syncing between my Kindle and the Kindle app on my phone. Since that is the main purpose for the upgrade, I don't want to miss out if I don't happen to have wi-fi. I would hate to still be frustrated about missing that feature after I get my new Kindle.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #60
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by makani View Post
I just wish Amazon would come out with a WiFi only DXG, then that would be my choice.
That would be perfect for me. Especially if it was under $300.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote