Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
Syncing with the desktop app...?

For people who have had problems uploading ePubs in ADE and are getting the tiny fonts...I wrote to Kobo and they've given me steps on how to fix the problem.

1. Plug the device into your computer
2. Launch ADE and click on the Kobo icon on the left hand side.
3. Delete all the ePubs you've put onto the device
4. Go to the kobobooks.com website and log into your account
5. Make sure all the books you want on the reader are in your library
6. Open up the Kobo Desktop app and click "update library".
7. Click "Sync"

That will update your files and fix the tiny font problem. It can take a while though...mine took about an hour before it was finished.

Unfortunately they didn't provide me with a fix if you've bought your books from a source other than them.

I hope this helps some people.

Last edited by StealthyScribe; 05-12-2010 at 01:54 AM.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I'm curious.....
Did Kobo just change the stylesheet on all their epubs to be "Kobo compatible"? or did they change the syncing process to fix the epubs 'on-the-fly' as they are transferred over to the device? (Since there wasn't any desktop app update, I wouldn't expect it to be the latter, but with the way the desktop app works, it is possible).

I haven't purchased any books from the Kobo store yet after finding even the 'free' public domain books DRM-protected. So if someone has a backup copy of one of their books they can compare to a "fixed" one and see what was changed, I'd be interested to hear about it.

On a side note, its nice to see people getting responses about some of these bugs, instead of a generic "we are aware of this problem and are working to resolve the issue" bs emails... too bad all my questions thus far have only resulted in "We have escalated the following issue to our level 2 support and we will have an update via email shortly"

Last edited by Stinger; 05-12-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyScribe View Post
For people who have had problems uploading ePubs in ADE and are getting the tiny fonts...I wrote to Kobo and they've given me steps on how to fix the problem.

1. Plug the device into your computer
2. Launch ADE and click on the Kobo icon on the left hand side.
3. Delete all the ePubs you've put onto the device
4. Go to the kobobooks.com website and log into your account
5. Make sure all the books you want on the reader are in your library
6. Open up the Kobo Desktop app and click "update library".
7. Click "Sync"
Well I tried this... I even went so far as to do a full restore to default of the Kobo before trying this. The verdict...

No change at all.

ePubs I add back via ADE still have non changable, minute fonts.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
MomMann
MomMann began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
From what I've read and experienced it would appear ADE might have a hand in the non-scaleable font issues. The re-issue from the desktop to your reader was so that the files didn't run through ADE - that's the fix them gave me as well. Works if it is a Kobo bookstore book but library books have to go through ADE so doesn't help with those and at this point Kobo is not offering any support for files that aren't their own. It would seem at this point all we can is hope they are going to fix it within a firmware upgrade.
MomMann is offline   Reply With Quote