Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Help for newbie

Hi,

I get two newsletters that come via email, what is the easiest way to get them onto my Sony Reader. Using calibre I've copied the newsletter as a text file and converted to epub which works fine - except one is a financial newsletter and often includeds graphs which text doesn't handle.

The newsletters original format is HTML which I can't seem to get to work with calibre - this is probably well documented somewhere but there is so much info on this site - if someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Just on a curiousity level - on public library books where the two formats don't mix on the reader - is it possible to use calibre to convert them so that they don't clash with books already borrowed?

Cheers,

PeteS
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
The newsletters original format is HTML which I can't seem to get to work with calibre - this is probably well documented somewhere but there is so much info on this site - if someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Drag your html file into calibre to add it as an ebook. (It may change it to a zip file, but don't worry about that). Then right click on the ebook and convert it to a format your reader will handle.

Quote:
Just on a curiousity level - on public library books where the two formats don't mix on the reader - is it possible to use calibre to convert them so that they don't clash with books already borrowed?
I'm not sure what you mean by "two formats don't mix on the reader," but you can convert to any supported format, provided it is not DRM protected (as many library books are).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Starson17,

Thanks for prompt reply - will try in a few minutes and let you know how I get on.

About the library books I understood from a thread I was reading that epub and pdf would not work together. I understand that it only applies to books borrowed from public lending libraries?

Thanks

PeteS
Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
PeteS
Enthusiast

Starson17,

Did as you suggested dragged hmtl document into calibre - I'm afraid it didn't work.

This is what I did - I saved the email content as an hmtl file and dragged into calibre and then tried to convert it - if failed again. I am not sure if this is the right way and if you have time could you give me a step by step guide?

Thanks

PeteS
Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Starson17,

Did as you suggested dragged hmtl document into calibre - I'm afraid it didn't work.
Try to view the book as an html. Right click the book in calibre, select 'View specific format' and choose the html file. Can you see it?
Quote:
This is what I did - I saved the email content as an hmtl file and dragged into calibre and then tried to convert it - if failed again. I am not sure if this is the right way and if you have time could you give me a step by step guide?
Check if the html file is good, first. Then try converting it to another format and view that format.
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I understood from a thread I was reading that epub and pdf would not work together. I understand that it only applies to books borrowed from public lending libraries?
Nothing prevents them from "working together" that I know of. You may have trouble converting from pdf to epub, but everyone has trouble for some books.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
PeteS
Enthusiast

Did as you suggested tried to open it in calibre - but what happened was my email browser opened to the original email newsletter.

You refer to putting the ebook into calibre but its an HMTL document - have I missed a step somewhere.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
PeteS
Enthusiast

This is an extract from the Wiki about borrowing public library books.

You can borrow epub and pdf books from your library, but be careful to never have both epub and pdf library books on your reader at the same time, as there is a conflict and you will not be able to access them. A Protected Page! error occurs on the Reader when opening a borrowed book that is in the ePub or PDF format when borrowed Adobe DRM-protected ePub and PDF eBooks exist on the Reader at the same time. Follow this procedure to correct this issue: From Sony eSupport [1]
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Did as you suggested tried to open it in calibre - but what happened was my email browser opened to the original email newsletter.
This sounds like the html copy just has a link to the email, not the contents of the email. You will need to have the contents before you can put it into calibre.

Quote:
You refer to putting the ebook into calibre but its an HMTL document - have I missed a step somewhere.
A saved html document will normally have a .htm file and a folder of files used by the .htm file. If you drag the .htm file into calibre, it will create a book entry, automatically grab the folder of files and make a zip file out of the whole thing. Then you can convert that book to another format.

Your problem seems to be that you don't have an html file of what you want. You have an html file with a link to what you want.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
This is an extract from the Wiki about borrowing public library books.

You can borrow epub and pdf books from your library, but be careful to never have both epub and pdf library books on your reader at the same time, as there is a conflict and you will not be able to access them. A Protected Page! error occurs on the Reader when opening a borrowed book that is in the ePub or PDF format when borrowed Adobe DRM-protected ePub and PDF eBooks exist on the Reader at the same time. Follow this procedure to correct this issue: From Sony eSupport [1]
That seems to be particular to the Sony and Adobe DRM. I don't have a Sony, but there are experts here, and in the Sony forum. I have no problems with pdf and epub on my readers.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
PeteS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
This sounds like the html copy just has a link to the email, not the contents of the email. You will need to have the contents before you can put it into calibre.

A saved html document will normally have a .htm file and a folder of files used by the .htm file. If you drag the .htm file into calibre, it will create a book entry, automatically grab the folder of files and make a zip file out of the whole thing. Then you can convert that book to another format.

Your problem seems to be that you don't have an html file of what you want. You have an html file with a link to what you want.
I've tried all the methods I can think of to save the contents of my email newsletter but on checking the properties of each it show that it is linked to the Yahoo browser - and I've tried dragging each to calibre but get the same error each time. I'm not too good at the technical side of the computer so its obviously something I'm not doing right or at all.

Any ideas?

In the meantime I've downloaded PDF Creator so I can use that format until I can, with plenty of help, get HMTL working.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I've tried all the methods I can think of to save the contents of my email newsletter but on checking the properties of each it show that it is linked to the Yahoo browser - and I've tried dragging each to calibre but get the same error each time. I'm not too good at the technical side of the computer so its obviously something I'm not doing right or at all.
Most newsletters have something like:
Quote:
If you are unable to view this newsletter, click here to view the online version.
Once you get to the online version go to file menu and save the page as html. Then drag that saved page to Calibre.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
PeteS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Most newsletters have something like:
Once you get to the online version go to file menu and save the page as html. Then drag that saved page to Calibre.
Hi, thanks for your suggestion. Tried what you advised but got the same result as before - only loads title page and no content.

I went to the newsletters home website and clicked on the unopened newsletter and saved as an HMTL document. Next time I opened the newsletter and highlighted all the relevent text and saved that as an HMTL document - both ways only produced the title page.

Can you spot anything I'm doing wrong?