Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #46
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I have flash turned off most of the time anyway. I understand and appreciate that other people might want it, but I'm not one of them.

The lack of Java is more of a nuisance, for me.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #47
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Suppose Apple and Adobe had quietly worked together to make sure there would be a Flash version that worked adequately on iPad before it was announced/shipped (ok, with a setting to disable it should one wish to). I fail to see how that would not be in the interest of consumers and web designers everywhere, and of course Adobe would like that as well. Apple might even sell a few more iPads to people like me who know what Flash is and would like to have that option. Lovely, everyone wins except for would-be iPad competition.

But it didn't happen. Why not? Some theories:
- Apple doesn't think they need Flash support to have iPad be a successful product and is willing to sacrifice some sales in order to reduce dependencies on things they don't control
- it turns out that it is really difficult to port Flash to such a resource-limited platform while maintaining full compatibility with legacy SWFs, and throwing more programmers ('lazy' or otherwise) at the problem won't get it done any quicker ("The Mythical Man Month"). Apple is being as helpful as they can be, but it's really up to Adobe to deliver.
- for some reason, Apple is unwilling to give Adobe access to the secret inner workings of iPad (or even a prototype to work with) leaving Adobe to laboriously reverse engineer everything about it; meanwhile Apple has set unreasonably high expectations for performance and functionality before they will agree to put Flash on iPad or iPhone.
- Steve Jobs has an irrational hatred of all things Adobe and his minions are too cowed to present him with the business case that justifies a cooperative approach.
- Apple just wants to sell more iTunes video and it is in their interest to maintain roadblocks to other channels (Flash, Silverlight, RealPlayer etc.).

Anyway, I've seen nothing to suggest that Adobe has given up work on iPhone/iPad Flash. But it does seem that Apple is being less cooperative (than, say, Google with Android), at least from what little they have said publicly.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
- Apple just wants to sell more iTunes video and it is in their interest to maintain roadblocks to other channels (Flash, Silverlight, RealPlayer etc.).
I don't think the video is a ton to do with it--assuming the rumors of a Hulu app being developed are true. The people who stream video on Hulu, the network sites etc. for free aren't in the market who'd pay the $2 or 3 or whatever it is now to buy those shows on iTunes anway.

I think more of the issue is so many things in the App store--random apps, games etc., are just App versions of things you can play online using Flash on various sites for free.

I'm sure that's not the only reason Apple doesn't include flash, but I'm sure it's a part of it. Just fear that website flash applications will cut into App sales.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #49
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It is way too early to predict sales numbers. The device is still 1 1/2 months in the future.
If I was doing marketing for the iPad, I would take heed of all the information running on the internet and have software fixes ready soon; if not in opening sales, as add-ons in the next few months.

Most negative points about the device do not bother me. Only one point would because I can't find information about it. I'll gladly trade Karma for it. Is there a French keyboard touch layout possible? I'z lo-o-o-ve ma accentsss!!!

Does anyone think that there are warehouses filled with ready boxed iPads at this point?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #50
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Is there a French keyboard touch layout possible? I'z lo-o-o-ve ma accentsss!!!
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Quote:
Languages
Language support for English, French, German, Japanese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Russian

Keyboard support for English (U.S.), English (UK), French (France, Canada), German, Japanese (QWERTY), Dutch, Flemish, Spanish, Italian, Simplified Chinese (Handwriting and Pinyin), Russian

Dictionary support for English (U.S.), English (UK), French, French (Canadian), French (Swiss), German, Japanese, Dutch, Flemish, Spanish, Italian, Simplified Chinese (Handwriting and Pinyin), Russian
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #51
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
WWWooooowww! Thank you kjk!

Here's payment!

Nothing short of death will stop me from getting that iPad...

To all wishing it back on me... big kiss!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
As far as I have been able to learn, the dictionaries are for spell-checking, not for looking up definitions. But the latter task can be done using online dictionaries..
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #53
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
WWWooooowww!
Nothing short of death will stop me from getting that iPad...
hehe... Me too! I'm wondering how it will work out for language study!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #54
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I believe Jobs has said the reason to block Flash is security problems. Ironic, given that Quicktime is one of the few major security holes on the OSX platform, but whatever.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #55
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
As far as I have been able to learn, the dictionaries are for spell-checking, not for looking up definitions. But the latter task can be done using online dictionaries..
There is a beautiful free app dictionary for the iPhone/iTouch now.
If a dictionary will be incorporated into an ebook reader remains to be seen.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote