Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I bet within a year you will have several choices to choose from.

The good thing about the iPad for the marketplace is it has given all the Dell's, HP's, Toshiba's...etc.... something to copy and put their spin on. Lot's of good things coming.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, I can't wait to see what comes out.

Apple set the bar high form a form factor, price and battery life standpoint. Very excited to see what other companies put out to compete with it.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, I can't wait to see what comes out.

Apple set the bar high form a form factor, price and battery life standpoint. Very excited to see what other companies put out to compete with it.
The price bar was a huge surprise to me.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im not sure there is a app to cure irrational saving

If you havent had Apple stuff before it doesnt glitch or crash
Except, apparently with Flash.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The price bar was a huge surprise to me.
Same here. I was expecting $800-1000 for the cheapest model, and around 6 hours of battery life.

So $500 and 10 hours set the bar much higher than I expected.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
There isn't a single occasion on which i wished my iPhone had traditional multitasking. Not once.

I actually had to use hacks on my old HTCs, to kill processes instead of just minimizing. LOL.

BUT, the one, and only one dealbreaker for me, would be if the iPad does not support Flash.

No Flash, No Buy....
No need to hack it, just a long press on the X will close a program, a short press will minimize it.

For me multitasking is a must. Always have an IM program running in the background so that I can be reached quickly and easily when I am traveling(and push is just toooooo slow). Also it is great to listen to the radio in the background or the news on my slingbox while working on an e-mail. I tried all this on the iphone 3G after jailbreaking and it starts to move at a glacial pace. I guess the reason Apple doesn't want us to multitask is that they want to find out they cheaped out on program memory. On my iphone that goes down to around 5MB with just 3-4 things running! And, of course, there is the battery.

Yes, there are ways to work around the lack of multi tasking. But I don't see any reason why I shouldn't expect such a basic feature?

And, of course, the other biggie. Flash, how can you browse without it?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #22
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Yes, there are ways to work around the lack of multi tasking. But I don't see any reason why I shouldn't expect such a basic feature?

And, of course, the other biggie. Flash, how can you browse without it?
There is no reason for you not to expect it, you can find a product that provides it. It just won't be an iPad. Which is totally fine. There is no reason you should have to browse without Flash, either. You don't have to ever browse without Flash, since you won't get an iPad.

But, I browse on my main computer without Flash (ClicktoFlash). And I browse on my iPhone without Flash. So, yes, one can happily browse without Flash.

And I'll reserve judgement on the lack of multitasking on the iPad until I see how they implement how it actually handles IMs, and other events.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course, you are right. But my point here is that while people will be more forgiving for a small and convenient device like an iphone, they will expect much more from the ipad. And these 2 problems will seriously hurt ipad sales, if Apple doesn't fix them. All the functionality of the ipad is covered by other devices people already own (phones and netbooks/laptops). So you do need some serious reasons to shell out for another device -- and a giant ipod with all the same restrictions as the iphone probably won't sell beyond the hardcore fan base, once people really look at the strings attached.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #24
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I thought of another desirable use for multitasking. There are streaming media applications, such as the new app for "This American Life," that do not allow you to save the file you are streaming nor your location in the stream. This app is what made me think of the concern but it applies to most streamed media on the iPhone. If you exit the streaming app to do something else you cannot pause and return to the same spot in the stream. You get the joy of starting over again at the beginning.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #25
kjk

Quote:
Of course, you are right. But my point here is that while people will be more forgiving for a small and convenient device like an iphone, they will expect much more from the ipad. And these 2 problems will seriously hurt ipad sales, if Apple doesn't fix them. All the functionality of the ipad is covered by other devices people already own (phones and netbooks/laptops). So you do need some serious reasons to shell out for another device -- and a giant ipod with all the same restrictions as the iphone probably won't sell beyond the hardcore fan base, once people really look at the strings attached.

I can see Apple allowing some form of multitasking-possibly not to the extent you might require. Flash ? I won't hold my breath on that one
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I can see Apple allowing some form of multitasking-possibly not to the extent you might require. Flash ? I won't hold my breath on that one
We know about Jobs' deep seated hatred for all things Adobe... But why not an alternate browser, like Skyfire for WinMo? That works by doing all the rendering on their servers and allows for a full web experience on a phone. But in the end, if you buy Apple you better learn to fully accept Apple's way of doing things.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #27
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:
There isn't a single occasion on which i wished my iPhone had traditional multitasking. Not once.

I actually had to use hacks on my old HTCs, to kill processes instead of just minimizing. LOL.

BUT, the one, and only one dealbreaker for me, would be if the iPad does not support Flash.

No Flash, No Buy....
Same here. I even had to jailbreak one of my iPhones to be able to multitask and run backgrounds in the process.

I was also expecting the Flash for a web dedicated device.. even Java (if that's not too much to ask so I could play Farmville on the iPad )

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #28
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
No need to hack it, just a long press on the X will close a program, a short press will minimize it....
Not really, it depended on the ROM used. With the HTCs, I never had a ROM (stock or not), which did not have a memory leak and which could run a month or more, as the iPhone can, without a reboot.

Anyway, I personally don't miss multitasking.

But the lack of Flash on a device like the iPad makes it functionally defective, for me.

My problem is, we've had the iPhone for how many years now, yet not a single smart phone comes even close in terms of UI and intuitive use. Android 2 is better than the rest, but still clumsy and way short of the iPhone's UI.

So, I am not so sure the competition is working all that hard (or maybe it's just incapable of good, well-thought out design.) Which is a real bummer, because without Flash, I think I'll skip the iPad.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #29
kjk

Quote:
But in the end, if you buy Apple you better learn to fully accept Apple's way of doing things.
I agree completely-Apple really is just one option out there-other devices definitely can and will offer other features that Apple will probably never implement.

Personally, I don't have a problem with what Apple has done with the iPhone-I love it. Looking forward to getting some hands on time with the iPad to see if it is something I could use as well.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Not really, it depended on the ROM used. With the HTCs, I never had a ROM (stock or not), which did not have a memory leak and which could run a month or more, as the iPhone can, without a reboot.

Anyway, I personally don't miss multitasking.

But the lack of Flash on a device like the iPad makes it functionally defective, for me.

My problem is, we've had the iPhone for how many years now, yet not a single smart phone comes even close in terms of UI and intuitive use. Android 2 is better than the rest, but still clumsy and way short of the iPhone's UI.

So, I am not so sure the competition is working all that hard (or maybe it's just incapable of good, well-thought out design.) Which is a real bummer, because without Flash, I think I'll skip the iPad.
Actually I personally find HTC Sense (which works the same on both Android and WinMo) in no way inferior or less easy or intuitive to use. You get were you are going faster, with fewer clicks and there is no learning curve. They have come a long way from when you had to tweak it for a day to get it right. Looks like you haven't sneaked a peak over the fence since getting that iphone! Not that tweaking can't be fun. I still enjoy trying out different user ROMs. It feels just like buying a new phone, and things keep getting even better all the time.

Anyway, I am glad Apple is moving along, it helps make things better in overall.